+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: For those that believe Gilbride is a really good coach please ask yourself 1 question

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Regardless, the deep ball wasn't effective this year.
    Agreed it wasn't as effective. However, Eli wasn't off enough to warrant abandoning the deep game.

And again, KG doesn't dictate to Eli where to throw the ball in a given play and not all routes on all plays are run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    So why are you argueing? If he gave Eli plays to choose from then Eli has options not one play right?
    I'm saying some of those plays arent great for certain situations lol.

I'm saying some of those plays arent great for certain situations lol.
    Well then get on Eli cause since he has choices of plays to choose from and he picks a certain play, it is his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    Well then get on Eli cause since he has choices of plays to choose from and he picks a certain play, it is his fault.
    So it's basically Eli's fault then...

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    That is a very legitimate question. Eli has some issues throwing short passes. Is that because we do not do it so much or do we not do it so much because he doesn’t do it well?

This is the thing. Players have strengths and flaws. The coaches and coordinators need to recognize and address those issues. They need to nurture those strengths in their players and help them improve the weaknesses. If Eli has an issue with the short pass then that needs to be addressed and it is a failure on the coaching for not addressing it sooner because it has been an issue for years as has his poor decision making at times. Don’t get me wrong, we have had awesome success over the past five years and I am grateful for that but it still doesn’t mean that we rest on our laurels and don’t try to improve. This season there seemed to be a lack of sense of urgency that really hurt and the coaches needed to address that.
    Here's my problem with beating up on Gilbride ad nauseum. The facts, as I believe them to be are:

1. Gilbride calls the offense
    2. Eli gets at least two plays to choose between (among) depending on what defense he sees at the LOS
    3..The decision is Eli's at that point in time
    4. On pass plays, Eli chooses the receiver to be targeted (based on a lot of factors, all happening in under 5 seconds)
    5. If Eli prefers long balls, would that result in forcing more balls than he should?

This is not an "it's Eli's fault" issue. I'm not big on assigning blame when it takes the entire team to win and lose games. Like everyone else, I'd like to know why certain things seem to happen when we have as much talent as we do.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    One more time. If Eli were to be more comfortable with airing it out, would he tend to force long balls? Once he has the plays from Gilbride, Eli decides what play to run and who to throw to on passing plays.

For the record I've never said he doesn't feel comfortable with a short passing game, you said that. I'm simply asking a question about the possibility that Eli might have a preference.
    However there are just so many plays Eli audible to or just change with the package that is out there.

However there are just so many plays Eli audible to or just change with the package that is out there.
    I get that, but the final decision is his.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

So it's basically Eli's fault then...
    Yes cause Eli has choices. If he didn't then I would agree with ya.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I get that, but the final decision is his.
    Yes it is but then again, that is where coaching comes in to help him develop those decision making skills.

Yes it is but then again, that is where coaching comes in to help him develop those decision making skills.
    Very complicated process

+ Reply to Thread