+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alec Ogletree ?

Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    I hope you are being sarcastic...

I saw this and am certainly impressed, but not enough to give him the "freakish ability" tag. I don't care how well he can field an onside kick, bottom line is he is just average for a "1st rounder" when playing defense.
    No that's not the bottom line, that's just your uneducated opinion. I've heard NFL scouts call him the best player on the Georgia defense, better then Jarvis Jones (projected top 5 pick), They all rave about his athletic ability which helped him out produce Manti Teo (projected top 10 pick) in 4 fewer games

Here's what Jarvis Jone's said about him:
    “We knew that was coming,” Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones said. “The dude (Ogletree) is a beast. He can play safety. He can play linebacker and run sideline to sideline. They’re just one of those players that’s just special. We know that they’re going to be everywhere on every play. That gives the front a little more time to rush and lets us do some things differently. Coach (Todd) Grantham likes to mix things up and Alec, he’s a freak of nature.”

Todd Mcshay, who has him at 15 on his latest big board:
    Analysis: Ogletree, who forced and recovered a fumble in the Capital One Bowl, is a raw prospect in terms of instincts, but he is a freakish athlete who chases plays from sideline to sideline and shows good potential as a pass-rusher.

Just for arguments sake, who do you consider worthy of our 1st round pick?
    Last edited by juice33s; 01-03-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juice33s View Post
    Looks to be about a 40 inch vertical to me. He is absolutely a freak athlete. Will most likely run a low 4.5 at 240lbs at the combine.

He is athletic, no doubt about that.

While he moves like a 200 pound safety, he also plays like one.

Still think he has to be moved to OLB, he just is not very physical, will adding another 10-20 pounds make him more physical? I think its more mental than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    He is athletic, no doubt about that.

While he moves like a 200 pound safety, he also plays like one.

Still think he has to be moved to OLB, he just is not very physical, will adding another 10-20 pounds make him more physical? I think its more mental than anything.
    You have to remember that this is is only Olgetree's second season ever at LB and as a true junior there's still alot he has to learn about the position, but not being physical or not wanting to hit is certainly not one of them. The guy loves flying around the football field and laying the big hit when ever he can, alls you have to do is watch him fill the hole againt eddie Lacey at the goaline.

Here's what his Dcoordinator said about him after he said he was going pro, I think it sums up his potential pretty well:

"A guy like him is going to be valued, because in that league, you've got to help your corners outside with the kind of wideouts that people have," Grantham said. "So if you help your corners outside, somebody's got to play one-on-one. You can't double everybody. And a guy like him can play some tight underneath coverage and take away the (Tony) Gonzalez, the (Kellen) Winslows -- those premier-type tight ends on the possession routes inside.
    "He's got the ability to run things down and hit. He's physical. He's going to get bigger. He's a young player. He's a true junior, so the arrow is up on him and I think he's a real dynamic player."

"I think he's a special player there and that's one of the reasons we wanted to put him there, and I think his future's really bright because he's a young player at that position," Grantham said. "I wish him nothing but the best and know that he's a guy that can continue to improve and be a pretty dynamic player."
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...2013-nfl-draft

No that's not the bottom line, that's just your uneducated opinion. I've heard NFL scouts call him the best player on the Georgia defense, better then Jarvis Jones (projected top 5 pick), They all rave about his athletic ability which helped him out produce Manti Teo (projected top 10 pick) in 4 fewer games

Here's what Jarvis Jone's said about him:
    “We knew that was coming,” Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones said. “The dude (Ogletree) is a beast. He can play safety. He can play linebacker and run sideline to sideline. They’re just one of those players that’s just special. We know that they’re going to be everywhere on every play. That gives the front a little more time to rush and lets us do some things differently. Coach (Todd) Grantham likes to mix things up and Alec, he’s a freak of nature.”

Todd Mcshay, who has him at 15 on his latest big board:
    Analysis: Ogletree, who forced and recovered a fumble in the Capital One Bowl, is a raw prospect in terms of instincts, but he is a freakish athlete who chases plays from sideline to sideline and shows good potential as a pass-rusher.

Just for arguments sake, who do you consider worthy of our 1st round pick?
    I think Jarvis Jones said it best when he said, "hes just special".. Meaning, hes just simply a good player, end of story.. Sure, hes a freakish athlete with a monster vertical, and makes plays left and right, and lead the Bulldogs in Tackles while missing 4games, and is a turnover creating machine, but thats not even the bottom line.. Hes just a flat out good player..

I have put the NYCSPORTZFAN gurantee that Ogletree is gonna be a stud on the NFL level, and don't like saying that, if i don't truly believe it.. Hes one of those players ur gonna be able to put all over the field depending on down and distance, and his past as a Saftey only furthers my love for him as a prospect, as most MLB's are worrisome against the pass, but this kid thrives there, and hes got such speed, that he gets around blocks and to the line of scrimmage so fast, RB's don't know what hit em..

He had like 11.5 TFL and 3sacks while missing 4games, which is quite impressive.. I've watched him pickup TJ Yeldon and drive tackle em into the ground like he was a rag doll.. Hes a all around stud with loads of upside, and the upside is even more impressive because hes all ready good, so upside pretty much means even better then he all ready is, which is very good...

Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    I hope you are being sarcastic...

I saw this and am certainly impressed, but not enough to give him the "freakish ability" tag. I don't care how well he can field an onside kick, bottom line is he is just average for a "1st rounder" when playing defense.
    What are u talking about? That picture dosen't even do justice his leaping ability and that play inpaticular.. This kids got crazy hops, and is extremely instinctive, judging by his 3sacks, 112tackles, 2FF, 1INT, 11.5 TFL while missing 4games.. He has insane athletic ability! Have u seriously not seen this guy play or something? Hes been the best defender on GA's team against both Bama and Nebrsaka... Hes flat out studly!

Just look at the plays he was making against bama.. I don't see how this isn't physical play.. Also, look how he stays with the tackle on yeldon when yeldon had full head of steam and got to em on the 2nd level and Ogletree took a smack from em, but held right on and took em to the ground.. I love the play when he just flat out drives Yeldon to the ground like nothing..

How about stopping Eddie Lacy at the 1yrd line in one on one situation with no one else there between Lacy and the goaline? Flat out like Lacy was hitting a ton of bricks! This guys a freak!
    Alec Ogletree 2012 Highlights vs Alabama - YouTube

► 3:29 www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B-9M7dcIhM
    Dec 7, 2012 - 3 min - Uploaded by tonytoon8991
    Junior year SEC championship game Property of CBS.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Just look at the plays he was making against bama.. I don't see how this isn't physical play.. Also, look how he stays with the tackle on yeldon when yeldon had full head of steam and got to em on the 2nd level and Ogletree took a smack from em, but held right on and took em to the ground.. I love the play when he just flat out drives Yeldon to the ground like nothing..

How about stopping Eddie Lacy at the 1yrd line in one on one situation with no one else there between Lacy and the goaline? Flat out like Lacy was hitting a ton of bricks! This guys a freak!

He's definitely an IMPACT playmaker. Only problem I have is he gets washed out by linemen. Also have to worry about all the NFL talent that's around him on that defense with Jarvis Jones, Jenkins, and Rambo.

I like him alot...In terms of MLB prospects Olgetree is probably the most athletic , best in pass coverage and best pass rusher coming out this season. The guys a tackling machine, he had more tackles then Teo while playing 4 less games!
    U have to keep lineman off him. Remember Georgia has 2 gigantic Defensive tackles they play in front of him.If u have 2 DT's that can eat up the interior line Ogletree will dominate the game. if u get lineman into the 2nd level though he struggles

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post

Difference between stopping a RB 1 on 1 and shedding lineman. i dont doubt Ogletree's ability to make plays when he is clean.
    That performance is very uneven there is a whole drive in there were he gets taken out of every running play. When blockers get to him at the 2nd level he struggles. That doesnt mean he isnt a good player or wont improve but its on the game tape along with all the great plays

+ Reply to Thread