+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Django Unchained.....

  1. #1
    Veteran Cool Papa B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,720

    Django Unchained.....

    I took my wife to see Django last night. I'm still not sure what I think of it. One thing is for sure though; if there was any doubt I think it's clear now that Tarantino has an infatuation with the "N" word and violence. I actually think he wakes up in the morning and forces himself to say the "N" word 100 times just to make himself feel good inside.

    I get that the setting of the movie is during slavery, but geez, the way he used the word and the amount of times used was just crazy. And the gory violence, particularly the slave fighting scence was very disturbing and not even accurate. There is no record of "slave/Mandingo fighting. Slave masters didn't let them fight to the death like that because of economics- one less slave not working meant less money in their pocket.

    It didn't feel like a 2hr 45min. film at all. I think The dialogue in the film is very good and I think made the film move along well.

    Tarantino is a very creative director, but this is one movie of his- this and Death Proof- that I didn't like.

  2. #2
    All-Pro Moke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12,259
    Lots of people enjoyed it and a lot of people had gripes with the same problems you had. That being said, it's a movie in the long run and we shouldn't take it so seriously.

    I can't wait to see this movie to make further judgement, but not sure when I'll be able to watch it.

  3. #3
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Trap house
    Posts
    32,283
    My family went to see it and they love it. I haven't seen it yet. I did hear it was bery gory and brutal to watch but still an excellent film. You weren't the only one disturbed about the language, many people have commented on it. I think IMDB or some site said they used it 110 times? Wow.

  4. #4
    All-Pro Moke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12,259
    110 times? I mean it was a slavery movie so I can understand... but then again, I can see why it was obsessive lol

  5. #5
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Trap house
    Posts
    32,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    110 times? I mean it was a slavery movie so I can understand... but then again, I can see why it was obsessive lol
    Yeah. It's so funny because my family didn't have a problem with it at all LOL but I can see why it can make some people uncomfortable.

  6. #6
    Veteran Cool Papa B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    My family went to see it and they love it. I haven't seen it yet. I did hear it was bery gory and brutal to watch but still an excellent film. You weren't the only one disturbed about the language, many people have commented on it. I think IMDB or some site said they used it 110 times? Wow.
    I get the historical setting. This is the South circa 1858. I get that. It's hard for me to explain. I guess you will have to see it for yourself, but it's not so much how many times the "N" word was used, but HOW it was used that was just so ridiculous for me.

    I really believe that Tarantino just loves using that word. I think he gets wet dreams just thinking about it.

  7. #7
    Veteran Giantz4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New York State of Mind
    Posts
    3,956
    This has long been a discussion regarding Tarantino and the "N word" long before Django. The guy is an incredible director and writer in my opinion, and you know what you are getting when you goto see one of his films: over-the-top violence, extreme profanity, and basically anything bold and outrageous that you can imagine (including racial slurs etc) . I read that Spike Lee boycotted the film. What a self-righteous washed up hypocrite he is. I have spoken with a friend/co-worker who is black, and she had no problem with the film.

    Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

  8. #8
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Trap house
    Posts
    32,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz4Life View Post
    This has long been a discussion regarding Tarantino and the "N word" long before Django. The guy is an incredible director and writer in my opinion, and you know what you are getting when you goto see one of his films: over-the-top violence, extreme profanity, and basically anything bold and outrageous that you can imagine (including racial slurs etc) . I read that Spike Lee boycotted the film. What a self-righteous washed up hypocrite he is. I have spoken with a friend/co-worker who is black, and she had no problem with the film.
    Spike Lee should be ashamed of himself. First and foremost he didnt even SEE the film. Second of all, he's mad about Quentin using the N word? His movies had people using the N word too! Then he said "It's disrespectful to our ancestors". Riiight, because we don't have white ancestors? Grow up Spike. My family is African American and they did not have a problem with the film. (I didnt see it yet).

  9. #9
    Veteran Cool Papa B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz4Life View Post
    This has long been a discussion regarding Tarantino and the "N word" long before Django. The guy is an incredible director and writer in my opinion, and you know what you are getting when you goto see one of his films: over-the-top violence, extreme profanity, and basically anything bold and outrageous that you can imagine (including racial slurs etc) . I read that Spike Lee boycotted the film. What a self-righteous washed up hypocrite he is. I have spoken with a friend/co-worker who is black, and she had no problem with the film.
    I agree with you on Spike Lee. I don't know him personally, but he looks and sounds like a guy trying to stay relevent. The funny thing is during his prime, Spike was constantly attacked by Amiri Baracka and Spike called him a washed up artist trying to find a way to be relevant. He comes off as such a phony!!!!!

    I'm Nigerian-American and some of my friends who are white feel like Tarantino uses the "N" word too much and don't like how he uses it. It's not a matter of race it really about what the word stands for, and what it means IMO.
    Last edited by Cool Papa B.; 01-02-2013 at 01:39 PM.

  10. #10
    Veteran Giantz4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New York State of Mind
    Posts
    3,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    I agree with you on Spike Lee. I don't know him personally, but he looks and sounds like a guy trying to stay relevent. The funny thing is during his prime, Spike was constantly attacked by Amiri Baracka and Spike called him a washed up artist trying to find a way to be relevant. He comes off as such a phony!!!!!

    I'm Nigerian-American and some of my friends who are white feel like Tarantino uses the "N" word too much and don't like how he uses it. It's not a matter of race it really about what the word stands for, and what it means IMO.
    I could see how some people would be put off by Tarantino. Honestly, he does like to tip-toe that boundary line in terms of his filmmaking, and he does come off as slightly arrogant himself. I haven't seen the movie for myself yet so I cannot say, but based on my love for Tarantino I can understand what you mean when you say that. I believe Spike Lee made a statement when Pulp Fiction was released regarding this same topic.

    Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts