+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Django Unchained.....

I am going to watch it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    1.The movie was about slavery,if the N word in a movie about slavery bothers you, then your looking to find something wrong with the movie in the first
    place, or your a white person that didnt feel comfortable sitting through a movie that has white people depicted as cruel heartless people....

2.Its a tarrentio movie, if your not a fan of his, dont watch this flick....His movies are supposed to be controversial & over the top....

3.This is literally based on the history of this country & these things actually happend....If these harsh realities bother your or make you feel uncomfortable
    then im sorry, this movie shows some of the terrible things that happend during slavery, if it more realistic then infact the N word shouldve probably been
    used even more....
    1.Wrong on both assumptions. I'm Nigerian-American.

2. Wrong again. I like most of Tarantino's work. Just not this one. I think he is a very creative filmmaker.

3. Wrong again. Slave/Mandingo fighting did not exist. Not the way it was portrayed. Slavery was about money.....economics. The slave owners wanted as many slaves out there as possible working his plantation. They wouldn't risk a slave getting hurt or so physically maimed that he wouldn't be able to work. Now there were boxing/fighting exhibition done at that time with slaves fighting each other. But never to the death.

I get that Tarantino takes an artistic license and bends the truth in his films all so he can express his vision and art. But for me he went over the top with it. in this film.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post

2. Wrong again. I like most of Tarantino's work. Just not this one. I think he is a very creative filmmaker.

3. Wrong again. Slave/Mandingo fighting did not exist. Not the way it was portrayed. Slavery was about money.....economics. The slave owners wanted as many slaves out there as possible working his plantation. They wouldn't risk a slave getting hurt or so physically maimed that he wouldn't be able to work. Now there were boxing/fighting exhibition done at that time with slaves fighting each other. But never to the death.

I get that Tarantino takes an artistic license and bends the truth in his films all so he can express his vision and art. But for me he went over the top with it. in this film.
    I can see QT taking liberties with the truth regarding Mandingo fighting (after all, I don't think you can bring Samurai swords on an airplane) but I am more interested in the way slaves were generally referred to and treated. Plus the attitude displayed by the Samuel L. Jackson character.
    Those were very compelling portrayals and probably have a fair amount of truth in them. And when its displayed in the way it was, I found it very disturbing.
    So as I said, while I agree it wasn't QT's best film, it may be the one that stays with me the longest.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

I get the historical setting. This is the South circa 1858. I get that. It's hard for me to explain. I guess you will have to see it for yourself, but it's not so much how many times the "N" word was used, but HOW it was used that was just so ridiculous for me.

I really believe that Tarantino just loves using that word. I think he gets wet dreams just thinking about it.
    I have 2 half black nieces,,one of which came to see the movie with me. we both had no problems with it,,,that's how it was back then,,and it's just his way of doing movies. it wasn't gumdrops and lollipops during those times,,stuff was real.

I thought it was good, but very over the top just like Inglorious *******s.

1.you being Nigerian American is irrelevant,I was not replying to your statement in pAticular...I was broadly responding to people that critizied the movie...2.the Mandingo fights are a small part of the movie & seem to be the only thing without any historical truth...
    Last edited by myles2424; 01-14-2013 at 02:50 AM.

Thinking about it now, this was probably my least favorite QT movie. The thing I like about his films is most of the time he has a few stories going on at once that all tie in together eventually. It also felt very drawn out. It was good but could have been better imo.

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Thinking about it now, this was probably my least favorite QT movie. The thing I like about his films is most of the time he has a few stories going on at once that all tie in together eventually. It also felt very drawn out. It was good but could have been better imo.
    uhhhh I think youre alone on this.....

This isn't 1995 Tarantino. It's The-finished-product-Tarantino.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzack View Post
    uhhhh I think youre alone on this.....

This isn't 1995 Tarantino. It's The-finished-product-Tarantino.
    Well even Inglorious *******s followed the girl, SS guy, the British SAS guy, the German soldier ( the german hero), and the *******s. A good story is a good story, this was not, but the acting pulled it off.

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    Well even Inglorious *******s followed the girl, SS guy, the British SAS guy, the German soldier ( the german hero), and the *******s. A good story is a good story, this was not, but the acting pulled it off.
    It was amazing regardless. And like I said, the amount of award nominations alone speaks for how everyone feels about it. lol
    Oderint Dum Metuant

+ Reply to Thread