+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Free agents that are possible to get

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Nah, if you take the cap hit in to account, cutting Boley and Webster would only free up around $1 million... Not worth it.
    There is no way that this is accurate. They are both in the last years of their contract and that would mean that nearly their entire contract was guaranteed. When a player is cut his dead money from future years (2014 and beyond) goes on the books for that season (2013). Since neither one is under contract for 2014 and their salaries aren't guaranteed for 2013 cutting them saves their entire salary. 7m for webster and 4.25m for Boley.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlooded1979 View Post
    There is no way that this is accurate. They are both in the last years of their contract and that would mean that nearly their entire contract was guaranteed. When a player is cut his dead money from future years (2014 and beyond) goes on the books for that season (2013). Since neither one is under contract for 2014 and their salaries aren't guaranteed for 2013 cutting them saves their entire salary. 7m for webster and 4.25m for Boley.
    There you go! thanks for explaining that, wasn't aware of how that worked. Now with that money we can use it to re sign players we really need that are on the team already. I think we can fill some holes via the draft, Reese and company have proven they can draft players that are ready to play and contribute once the season begins. Ex: JPP, OSI, Nicks, Barden, Manningham etc.....

We need to get a few bodies at DT and OT, and take care of most our guys.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Not necessarily, it all depends on who they release. We've not been a big free agency acquisition team for decades.
    Not precisely true ... Reese will go out and get that one "bigger" piece.

Canty, Boley, Rolle and Baas are examples. Generally speaking he picks up one higher priced FA per season. Our cap being what it is though, will probably mitigate what we do this year (much like it did last off-season).

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Nah, if you take the cap hit in to account, cutting Boley and Webster would only free up around $1 million... Not worth it.
    If we cut both Boley and Webster, that would clear up $11.25 million against our 2013 cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Not precisely true ... Reese will go out and get that one "bigger" piece.

Canty, Boley, Rolle and Baas are examples. Generally speaking he picks up one higher priced FA per season. Our cap being what it is though, will probably mitigate what we do this year (much like it did last off-season).
    When I say "big" I mean multiples. He will bring a relatively few people in but not like the Eagles do
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

If we cut both Boley and Webster, that would clear up $11.25 million against our 2013 cap.
    does it clear it up, or is there a cap hit? Can't see Webster getting cut, though; restructured, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    When I say "big" I mean multiples. He will bring a relatively few people in but not like the Eagles do
    Oh yeah, that was just insane (and gratifyingly, didn't work out too well for them).

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    does it clear it up, or is there a cap hit? Can't see Webster getting cut, though; restructured, yes.
    That's what's cleared off their base salaries.

The cap hit involved is workout bonus (depending when you cut them) and signing bonus (including restructured payments). I believe in the past you had to pay the outstanding signing bonus the year you cut the player (the "guaranteed" money) but under the new CBA, it can continue to be spread out over the original life of the contract. Since both of their contracts are up next year anyway, the cap hit in 2013 isn't too bad (about 1.4 for Boley and 3 for Webster).

Oh yeah, that was just insane (and gratifyingly, didn't work out too well for them).
    It makes no sesne, to me, to go out and get a bunch of high priced help who can't play as a team.

The Jets with Tebow is another WTF.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

+ Reply to Thread