+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Free agents that are possible to get

They need to look at the Giant's FAs before they start looking outside the organization. Simple fact is that there is a ton of work that has to be done before they can start looking at this year's FA crop!

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It makes no sesne, to me, to go out and get a bunch of high priced help who can't play as a team.

The Jets with Tebow is another WTF.
    Free Agency is for that one missing piece (in the case of a big signing) and roster depth (smaller signings).

Teams that treat it as a companion to the draft (or worse, as the big brother to the draft) continually fail. That's been proven over and over. In the case of the Eagles, Lurie got impatient and tried to buy a championship before his world entirely crumbled (divorce, front office upheaval and now the top of the team blown off). I can't blame him though ... to be so close for so long (5 conference championships and 1 super bowl loss) and not cross the finish line must be maddening to an owner.

Tebow wasn't really expensive. Just a media stunt, and in that sense the move worked. Whether they brought in Tebow or not, the Jets would still have been in tons of trouble this year. I actually thought Tannenbaum had done a fairly decent job bringing talent to the team (some notable holes aside). Sexy Rexy hasn't been able to keep them all on the same page. That's my take on the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by WiIdcat View Post
    We absolutely need a player like Byrd. Our pass defense was terrible this year and Rolle was part of the reason. Cut him and his ridiculous salary and there you go.
    You do realize that Rolle, KP and Stevie Brown are all comparable or better than Byrd? So why pay retail?

The problem with our secondary was at the CB spot, not the Safety position.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    With our cap situation going into 2013 I don't see us signing anything but utility and some re-signings of our own FAs.

We don't need Byrd.

We can't afford Grimes.

We need a tackle more than a guard.

Dallas Clark is done.
    No to Dallas Clark for me as well

Quote Originally Posted by WiIdcat View Post
    Uh Kenny Phillips is injury prone and Rolle was the 62nd ranked safety this year by pro football focus... a scouting company that the giants use. Safety isn't the last position that we need upgraded on this defense, it is one of the many positions we need upgraded.
    PFF is a stat website (and not a particularly good one) trying to make a buck. Where in the world did you get the idea the Giants use them to evaluate talent?

PFF is one step above using a Ouija board and darts.

KP is injury prone, I agree. I'm not sure where the Giants see themselves going between re-signing him and/or keeping/cutting Rolle for cap purposes. In either case, adding another high priced talent there wouldn't make sense.
    Last edited by Kruunch; 01-03-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flashnando View Post
    There you go! thanks for explaining that, wasn't aware of how that worked. Now with that money we can use it to re sign players we really need that are on the team already. I think we can fill some holes via the draft, Reese and company have proven they can draft players that are ready to play and contribute once the season begins. Ex: JPP, OSI, Nicks, Barden, Manningham etc.....
    U have to factor in the signing bonus money as well that gets spread out over the entire deal.Webster has 8.6 million in signing bonus over a 6 year deal so thats 1.4 guaranteed on top of whatever the restructure costs the Giants this season. Im not even sure if Websters original numbers are right because he has restructured twice and the original date is still posted on his contract numbers

PFF is a stat website (and not a particularly good one) trying to make a buck. Where in the world did you get the idea the Giants use them to evaluate talent?

PFF is one step above using a Ouija board and darts.

KP is injury prone, I agree. I'm not sure where the Giants see themselves going between re-signing him and/or keeping/cutting Rolle for cap purposes. In either case, adding another high priced talent there wouldn't make sense.
    If they use it its probably for the snap counts. U always criticize PFF but its the most detailed site for stats on the web. All u do is rip it down with nothing except your opinion. If u disagree with them so much u show something that disproves the numbers ,then maybe we can take u seriously.
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 01-03-2013 at 08:42 AM.

You do realize that Rolle, KP and Stevie Brown are all comparable or better than Byrd? So why pay retail?

The problem with our secondary was at the CB spot, not the Safety position.
    There was a problem with the safety spot but it was health and guys getting nailed for PED's

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    There was a problem with the safety spot but it was health and guys getting nailed for PED's
    I honestly think scheme (and perhaps youth) had more to do with our inconsistencies in the secondary than lack of talent.

The PED's were a non-issue (unless you were thinking Tyler Sash was going to be our salvation this year).

All-Pro
    Hill was also suspended 4 games.

+ Reply to Thread