+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Luck This Year

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    im not sure whats she is reffering to because we have huge cap numbers for several players that restructured the years before and 21 of our own Free agents to resign or replace.
    Well, of course the cap figure doesn't take into account resigning any of our FAs. However, I think most of the big earners on defense have their numbers go down this year over last, i.e. Webster is set to get $1m or $2m less this upcoming season... I'll tend to trust her though, as she has access to the actual numbers from the NFL offices or NFLPA, where we only get what's been released.

Locklear was a lucky find.

Veteran
    Its odd to say he left us razor thin and then say he got lucky with locklear - why lucky? How bout he scouted well and knew he had a nice potential backup or swing who proved to be starter quality. Were we thin and perhaps less talented in the trench this year - yes, but every team EVERY TEAM has their weakness. Tough rolling with it in the trench and eli saves a ton of sacks with quick reads but yeah we were lacking a bit for sure. Lets see how he cleans it up.

Who to move and who to stick with:

Diehl - Love the guys durablility and loyalty but we all know he's a swinging gate now.
    Baas - Not great but ok - hasn't really lives up to contract - does he go? doubtful - cordle hasn't shown much.
    Boothe - FA, nice find - good player not special at all.
    Snee - still a nice guard but seems to be declining.
    Beatty - FA and i think he's a good one - would like him back.

Mosley off ir may get a chance - Brewer was awful in preseason but who knows if he has developed more, mccants is a huge project as is adams - as is capers. maybe time to go early on a guard or center or RT.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by dave56dj; 01-02-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fourth&forever View Post
    Locklear was a lucky find.
    ...........exactly to my point and we were still perilously thin at OL. ...........or even if you call it good scouting and he was "NFL Experienced" we entered the season with ONE experience backup in Locklear and he was a guy who was cast aside by his previous team. If that isn't razor thin I don't know what it.
    Last edited by jomo; 01-02-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    No one remembers who came in second.

I agree - - - after Locklear, the backup OL this year were garbage. Luckily, we didn't need to rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    ...........exactly to my point and we were still perilously thin at OL. ...........or even if you call it good scouting and he was "NFL Experienced" we entered the season with ONE experience backup in Locklear and he was a guy who was cast aside by his previous team. If that isn't razor thin I don't know what it.
    Like I mentioned earlier, I'm sure JR thought that Petrus was going to build on the 2011 season, not completely regress and crap the bed like he did. So, that would have given us Brewer as a back-up tackle, Locklear/Diehl as swing T/G, and Petrus and Cordle as swing G/C. Plus the rookies. Considering the cap space we had to work with this past offseason, I don't know if there was much else he could have done, especially considering they were banking on Brewer and Petrus stepping up this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    im not sure whats she is reffering to because we have huge cap numbers for several players that restructured the years before and 21 of our own Free agents to resign or replace.
    Phillip died? That is so sad, what happened?

Veteran
    i find it amusing you guys are hammering JR for being thin at the OL spot but when he did find a good backup that was 'luck'.. you guys are never happy.. if we would have offloaded all our cap space and money on 2 or 3 more replacements and never used them.. then this thread would have been about how JR sucks because he wasted all the organization's money on a bunch of OL that weren't needed..

we had a small amount of OL.. we didn't need them.. this provided cap space and money for other positions.. i cant see this as any other thing as a WIN for JR.. luck.. prayer.. devine intervention.. whatever you want.. but JR made it happened and it work.. give the man his due..

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Like I mentioned earlier, I'm sure JR thought that Petrus was going to build on the 2011 season, not completely regress and crap the bed like he did. So, that would have given us Brewer as a back-up tackle, Locklear/Diehl as swing T/G, and Petrus and Cordle as swing G/C. Plus the rookies. Considering the cap space we had to work with this past offseason, I don't know if there was much else he could have done, especially considering they were banking on Brewer and Petrus stepping up this season.
    Well if that was the calculation it was a bad one. Petrus never played much so to expect him to play at a starting NFL level was a stretch. Brewer, Cordle the same thing. In the NFL, if you can't run you can't pass. We got by on Eli making quick decisions and getting it off quickly. Play action became less effective and that was because Beatty is average at best, same for Boothe and Baas. Snee is above average and our right tackles are below average. Backups are terrible and that is no place for a GM to leave his team going into a season. Rmember, we did what we did with minimal injuries on the OL by NFL standards. That is why I say we got lucky.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by rEaS View Post
    i find it amusing you guys are hammering JR for being thin at the OL spot but when he did find a good backup that was 'luck'.. you guys are never happy.. if we would have offloaded all our cap space and money on 2 or 3 more replacements and never used them.. then this thread would have been about how JR sucks because he wasted all the organization's money on a bunch of OL that weren't needed..

we had a small amount of OL.. we didn't need them.. this provided cap space and money for other positions.. i cant see this as any other thing as a WIN for JR.. luck.. prayer.. devine intervention.. whatever you want.. but JR made it happened and it work.. give the man his due..
    JR made it happen? Made what happen? He made it so we didn't have a lot of injuries on the OL? This makes little sense.

+ Reply to Thread