+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to end the Ponzi Scheme...

It's time to end the Ponzi Scheme...

In economics, a Ponzi Scheme is borrowing from one investor promising a certain return without doing anything real to produce that result. Instead, you borrow more money from another investor to pay off the first one. This continually snowballs until the system eventually breaks and Bernie Madoff is put in jail for fraud.

Anyway, I think a variant of this is happening with our player contracts. JR is constantly restructuring contracts to be continuously more back-loaded. Players are trailing off in their playing ability while simultaneously getting more and more overpaid. Diehl, for example, despite having produced little in the past 2 seasons, has a ginormous cap hit in 2013, even if cut. Several other players leave us in similar situations (Rolle, Canty). JR is constantly restructuring other contracts to pay off the current ones and squeeze in that extra FA signing. And we're not about to cut overpaid players because the cap hits would then be rendered immediately in full instead of over a period of years.

I think we need to spend one year "rebuilding". I don't mean this in the traditional sense (hence the quotation marks), but we need to cut a lot of underperforming and/or overpaid players that are still under contact. The aforementioned Diehl, Rolle, and Canty, as well as guys like Tuck and Webster. Take all the cap hits up front. Yes the 2013 team would not be the greatest incarnation of the Giants in the world. But we would emerge in 2014 with a crapton of cap space and no overpaid underachievers on the team. From there, the possibilities are endless...

PS: I am not in favor of firing Reese. I merely want us to cut the cruft out of the team to give us a better future return. I wouldn't mind one losing season if it meant we would be incredible strong the following year. Plus it would be less stressful i think...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

Veteran
    These caps hit tends to screw everything up, and that goes for all teams

JR's managed it just fine, IMO. We've won 2 SBs and have been competitive during his entire tenure. I can't complain.

However, I do like and admire how Belicheck decided to rebuild his D while relying on Brady and the O to keep the team in the hunt. Looks like it's about to pay off. I wouldn't mind doing that myself. The D and O-line have lots of room for improvement. It'll take more like 2 years of rebuilding, but I'd do it and hope that the O can stay healthy and keep the Giants in the hunt. Pats were a play away from winning a SB last year with a D that stunk, but had the best DC in history.

Hey, they don't call him Jerry Madoff Reese for nuttin'

exactly what i have been saying 2012 was the best time to dump a few huge contracts and take the hits having a SB in hand the year before. now we are in rough shape again. no more restructuring , cut trade or let them play out there contract
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails."
    - William Arthur Ward -

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I wouldn't mind one losing season if it meant we would be incredible strong the following year.
    How generous of you as a dedicated fan....
    a whole year......wow....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

i don't think having a horrible season one year immediately followed by an awesome season is how rebuilding/restructuring works.

not that i don't think its a good idea, just that if you're going to stink because of blowing out alot of overpaid talent, it may be unrealistic to expect that one draft and one free agency period is all it takes to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    In economics, a Ponzi Scheme is borrowing from one investor promising a certain return without doing anything real to produce that result. Instead, you borrow more money from another investor to pay off the first one. This continually snowballs until the system eventually breaks and Bernie Madoff is put in jail for fraud.

Anyway, I think a variant of this is happening with our player contracts. JR is constantly restructuring contracts to be continuously more back-loaded. Players are trailing off in their playing ability while simultaneously getting more and more overpaid. Diehl, for example, despite having produced little in the past 2 seasons, has a ginormous cap hit in 2013, even if cut. Several other players leave us in similar situations (Rolle, Canty). JR is constantly restructuring other contracts to pay off the current ones and squeeze in that extra FA signing. And we're not about to cut overpaid players because the cap hits would then be rendered immediately in full instead of over a period of years.

I think we need to spend one year "rebuilding". I don't mean this in the traditional sense (hence the quotation marks), but we need to cut a lot of underperforming and/or overpaid players that are still under contact. The aforementioned Diehl, Rolle, and Canty, as well as guys like Tuck and Webster. Take all the cap hits up front. Yes the 2013 team would not be the greatest incarnation of the Giants in the world. But we would emerge in 2014 with a crapton of cap space and no overpaid underachievers on the team. From there, the possibilities are endless...

PS: I am not in favor of firing Reese. I merely want us to cut the cruft out of the team to give us a better future return. I wouldn't mind one losing season if it meant we would be incredible strong the following year. Plus it would be less stressful i think...

I'm okay with this if you pick-up the cost of my season tickets.

If we're going to write off a season, I'd rather watch it on TV and save the $5 grand.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    I'm okay with this if you pick-up the cost of my season tickets.

If we're going to write off a season, I'd rather watch it on TV and save the $5 grand.
    about as real a post as you're going to find on these boards, with more reality built into it than 75% of the knee jerk stuff i read on here.

one of the many reasons why we don't just fire coaches like we're the Chiefs or gut the roster when we don't get 12 wins in a season.

fans complain about the lack of change or the appearance of addressing our faults, but this post highlights just one of the many reasons why these issues are far more complext than "didn't do good? = fire people, lots of people".

It's certainly a logical argument

+ Reply to Thread