+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giants' Antrel Rolle: "Just Want To Apologize For A Letdown"

Giants' Antrel Rolle: "Just Want To Apologize For A Letdown"

http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/02/...for-a-letdown/

Excerpt: "Talent. It's what makes the NFL go 'round. Every team wants it, not every team has it, and even some who are fortunate enough to acquire it still find a way to fall flat on their face. Talent is one of many words that can be used to describe the 2012 New York Giants, and it is also what gave fans hope heading into the season that this team would be different.

Maybe they would finally be able to break out of their shell, play with consistency and become perennial title contenders. Maybe Eli Manning would take another step towards solidifying a place in Canton. Maybe Jason Pierre-Paul would emerge as the next Lawrence Taylor and maybe this team could repeat as Super Bowl champions.
    None of those "maybe's" came to fruition this year. Today, safety Antrel Rolle apologized on behalf of his teammates for the colossal failure that was the 2012 season.

"Just want to apologize for a letdown," Rolle said on WFAN. "Unfortunately, we came up a little bit short this year. Something that pretty much caught all of us by surprise."

Rolle was the leader of a secondary that ranked 28th in the league in yards given up through the air. It's hard to pin the blame on any one player, because there were breakdowns throughout the entire unit. The pass rush was non-existent, Corey Webster was atrocious and Kenny Phillips missed over half the season with a knee injury. This unit was rarely, if ever, at full strength and there was not enough depth to account for any shortcomings." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro
    Rolle seems to have a great passion for the game. He also makes a lot of money. Will he or can he be cut due to the cap situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Rolle seems to have a great passion for the game. He also makes a lot of money. Will he or can he be cut due to the cap situation?
    i think we will cut him or restructure him. will hill and stevie brown starting safteys next year. that being said i to love his passion but its not like he isnt replacable
    FUTURE NFL STAR

through 6 games

16 rushes for 185 yards 2 td
    21 pancake blocks
    25 tackles 3 sacks (3 td saving tackles including final tackle as time expired to clinch win, hit of the game 9/14 )
    5-0-1 record

He'd be a $3 million cap hit but we'd save $6 million by cutting him.

The problem becomes, can you reliably replace him for $6 million (in 2013). With KP being as fragile as he is, and we only seeing a few games out of guys like Hill and Brown, that becomes a big question.

Honestly, I think he'd be the best WILL backer in the league (and that's really what he plays despite his job title). However, I don't see us paying $9 million a year for a converted WILL backer.

All-Pro
    As far as Hill and Brown, yes, they seem to be the real deal. KP might come cheap for a 1 year contract. Can't see him getting big bucks with all the games he misses.

As far as Hill and Brown, yes, they seem to be the real deal. KP might come cheap for a 1 year contract. Can't see him getting big bucks with all the games he misses.
    Only takes 1 team to be desperate enough to give Phillips a deal. Giants have to be careful with how much true guaranteed money they give Phillips.Maybe by putting in some voidable years in the deal. I have a feeling Phillips will be offered a deal but he wont like what the Giants offer and will leave. This will put the Giants in a tough spot because while I like Stevie Brown he doesnt have the same range to defend the back half like Phillips. Good news is the draft has a ton of quality safeties. Bacarri Rambo has the deep safety range the Giants will need and could be had for good value because of character concerns

All-Pro
    Very true. So if they lost KP and cut Rolle they would have enough money to care of other needs and draft a Safety. They they would have Hill, Brown, and a rookie. Maybe they grab a veteran that won't cost much?

I like both HIll and Brown but i dont wont to see neither one starting for us next year, Antrelle and KP are the real deal. WE had alot of key injuries in the secondary that cause Rolle to play out of position a lot and even so he looked like our best LB, Nickle Corner and Safety and a lot of games, thats alot to ask of one man. KP just needs to get healthy and he can be one of the best in the league

double post

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

I'd say we keep Rolle. He's worth the 6 million we'd otherwise save by cutting him, even if I think he's still overpaid... He should also be a candidate for captain next year (although if Blackburn returns I'd rather it be him)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

+ Reply to Thread