+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eli Says He "Needed To Play Better"

Eli Says He "Needed To Play Better"

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...to-play-better

Excerpt: "Eli Manning had two of the best games he has ever had this season.

He set career-highs of 510 yards passing against Tampa Bay and threw for five touchdowns in the season finale against Philadelphia.

But overall, 2012 was a bit of a step back for Manning. Coming off his best season ever in 2011, Manning failed to throw for 4,000 yards and 27 touchdowns for the first time since 2008.

“I don’t think it was as good as it needed to be,” Manning said on his weekly appearance on WFAN radio of his play this past season. “I think there were a couple of games where (I) wasn’t as on and I needed to play better.”

As hot as Manning got in the Tampa and Philadelphia wins, he also went ice cold at times.

He had a three-game touchdown drought in the middle of the season -– the worst stretch since his rookie season which sparked speculation of a tired arm –- and threw for one touchdown or less in 10 games this season.

Manning admitted that Hakeem Nicks’ knee injury robbed the offense of a lot.

“Not having Hakeem 100 percent for most of the season really the last 10 weeks can hurt,” Manning said. “He is out there playing hurt and you love that toughness about him.

“It just made it tough when you are starting a receiver who’s got to win those one-on-one matchups and is your deep threat and playmaker,” Manning continued. “It can be tough to adjust to that and timing was off on a number of things.”

Not having a consistent third receiving threat also hurt as the Giants struggled to replace Mario Manningham.

Manning said having the stability of the same head coach and offensive coordinator beside him will help in the offseason." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

In other news released today - apparently the sky is blue. How many INT's did Manning throw trying to get the ball to a hobbled Nicks?

This board pissed and moaned about that stuff all season. If the average fan could see it, why on earth couldn't the team and coaches? Or did they just think things would sort themselves out?

Quote Originally Posted by NYGabriel View Post
    In other news released today - apparently the sky is blue. How many INT's did Manning throw trying to get the ball to a hobbled Nicks?
    Too many.

All-Pro
    No way. It was everyone else's fault. Haters!

I think RF needs a stronger reading prescription.

I do wonder how this offense would of looked if they just sat Nicks and played the situation with WR's

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I do wonder how this offense would of looked if they just sat Nicks and played the situation with WR's
    Where did Barden go exactly? Did the first Eagles game put him in the dog house for the rest of the season? The guy showed up big two weeks in a row (w/ one serious mistake granted) and then disappeared.

If it was the dog house, TC needs to re-evaluate his position a little sooner ... we've been waiting for Barden to show up since he was drafted and when he finally does we bench him?

P.S. - I don't think it would have made much of a difference. The Giants offense is a vertical game that relies on two big threats. We don't have another "big threat" to put opposite Cruz. This is one area that Manningham would show up in a pinch (I think I undervalued his contributions in years past).

No sh*t sherlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Where did Barden go exactly? Did the first Eagles game put him in the dog house for the rest of the season? The guy showed up big two weeks in a row (w/ one serious mistake granted) and then disappeared.

If it was the dog house, TC needs to re-evaluate his position a little sooner ... we've been waiting for Barden to show up since he was drafted and when he finally does we bench him?

P.S. - I don't think it would have made much of a difference. The Giants offense is a vertical game that relies on two big threats. We don't have another "big threat" to put opposite Cruz. This is one area that Manningham would show up in a pinch (I think I undervalued his contributions in years past).
    If your reference to " one serious mistake"is that finally play with the offensive pass interference , I can`t really buy into that. If that is how TC viewed and asessed Barden , then I`d have a problem with his coaching. Barden was being arm barred down the sideline and then in a last ditch effort, kept the ball from being intercepted. Could he have done better , yeah , but he did keep it from being turned over. Someday we`ll sign a kicker who can make a 53 yard kick, until then , let`s not ( this mb ) beat up our receivers.
    Personally , I don`t beleive the coaching staff is utilizing Barden properly. He moves more like a fast tight end and should have patterns commensurate with his strengths. Rarely does he drop the ball , he should be on 3rd down packages and the goal line - he`s a possesion type receiver.

+ Reply to Thread