+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Giants 42, Eagles 7: Hits Misses, And Musings

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5800

Excerpt: "I spent the better part of my ride home from Sunday night’s game trying to think of a fitting analogy to best describe the Giants’ 2012 season.

I finally settled on a childhood favorite of mine, the fable of The Tortoise and the Hare by Aesop, which, if you’re not familiar, you can read here.
    Of if you’d rather have the condensed version of the tale, the gist of the story is that the hare, thinking he had all the time in the world to beat the tortoise in a race, decided to slack off only to awaken when it was too late – and to find that the tortoise, whom no one would have even imagined could beat a hare in a footrace, had indeed won.

So what does this have to do with the Giants’ 2012 season?

Repeatedly, we heard the players say after a loss that they weren’t worried, that the season was a marathon and not a sprint.
    It was almost as though they were shrugging off that, like the hare in the fable, they had perhaps grown fat with their positive press clippings that came with being the defending Super Bowl champions or that perhaps someone would stumble, and all would be right again.

It didn’t work out that way, and the Giants, after a disappointing second half of the season that saw two uninspired and forgettable losses to the Falcons and the Ravens, awoke from their slumber to thump the Eagles into oblivion.
    But it was too late. Gone was having destiny in their hand. And with that, gone was their chance of defending their world title.It’s a harsh lesson, but one that the Giants faithful can only hope that, whichever players are back next year, remembers and passes down to any of the new players who are coming in via free agency or the draft.

HITS

There are many hits to be handed out despite the Giants failed to get into the playoffs. Here are a few that stick out the most to me.

There must be something to playing against the Eagles for linebacker Chase Blackburn, who earlier in the season had one of his best games against Philly and who had yet another good game in the regular season finale. The Giants’ best pass rusher, Blackburn was all over the place, very nearly sacking quarterback Michael Vick., And when he wasn’t harassing Vick, he was limiting the damage LeSean McCoy and Bryce Brown tried to inflict against the Giants run defense.
    What was particularly impressive with Blackburn is that of his seven tackles, the majority came at or near the line of scrimmage and not seven or more yards down field, as we had seen from others on the defense in previous weeks.

I don’t know what the future holds for Blackburn, an unrestricted free agent, but he’s definitely one of the most underappreciated linebackers out there.

Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride split the carries between David Wilson and Ahmad Bradshaw, and guess what? both were effective, especially Bradshaw, who has operated on one leg almost all season. by reducing the workload, he was kept fresh, and boy did he look pretty good in the process.

Assuming he returns next season – right now it’s probably 50/50 as he’ll likely have to take a pay cut – I hope that he considers following his lead blocking a bit better than he did at times this year.

A solid showing from Martellus Bennett, who mostly blocked in this one and did so effectively. He spoke the day after about how he hoped to be back next year – he’s an unrestricted free agent – because he believes that another year in this offense will put him and Eli Manning together on the same page, something that wasn’t always evident this year.

People like to pick on offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride – why I honestly don’t know – but give him and the rest of the staff credit for aggressively going after the Eagles’ defense’s weak link, the linebackers, who were at fault for a couple of big Giants pass gains, including one of Manning’s five touchdown throws that came on a wheel route.

I thought both Giants offensive tackles turned in good games.

David Diehl
    , who went up against DE Brandon Graham, needed very little help and while Graham was successful with some early game pressures, credit Diehl for tightening his bootstraps and shutting the youngster down.

Will Beatty was almost spotless in his showing. I don’t think we heard Trent Cole’s name uttered once – and that’s saying a lot considering Cole is one of the Eagles’ best pass rusher, if not their best. While Beatty appeared to be the guilty part who yielded the Eagles’ lone sack, it was hard to tell if Philip Hunt, the linebacker was supposed to be blocked by Kevin Boothe.

And how can I forget the entire organization for reaching out to the Sandy Hook Elementary School community?

The Giants hosted roughly 200 teachers, parents, students, and administrators, making them a big part of the pregame ceremony and it was just one of the most touching things I’ve witnessed.

To see all those little bundled up children — well let’s just say I didn’t need my binoculars to take note of how wide their eyes were in getting the opportunity to mingle with their heroes. It was simply an awesome way to pay tribute to a community that was rocked to its core by a senseless act of violence that we might never understand.

And along those lines, kudos to the Eagles, who were just as responsive as when they ran out of the tunnel trough the group assembled on their side, their players stopped to high-five all the children. As one of my colleagues had said at the time, that was a sure-fired way to stop the crowd from booing, and sure enough, the Giants fans, always classy, did just that.

Finally, love him or hate him, former Eagles head coach Andy Reid had a tough season, both personally and professionally. Perhaps the most devastating blow to him was losing his son Garrett back in August, an occurrence that no parent should have to go through.
    Yet Reid somehow found the strength to carry on and continue to coach, even as the team around him was falling apart. Sure, he’s gotten the better of the Giants these past few years, but I think we can all agree that what he went through what with losing his son puts everything into perspective." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Whoever wrote this needs to take the blinders off. This game is a very bad indication of the season as a whole.

Blackburn is not under appreciated, he is massively over appreciated. Make a splash play or two, but is completely invisible for the rest of the game. One of the main reasons our run defense was horrible.

Gilbride was very inconsistent this year. All things considered he had some great games and some awful games. A good portion of the blame that we didn't make the playoffs should be in his lap.

Same goes for David Diehl. Some good games, but more bad games than good.

The writer of this article fails to see the whole picture, but merely makes assumptions based on one meaningless game.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

All of the news articles are OPINIONS with no more weight that what you might post.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    All of the news articles are OPINIONS with no more weight that what you might post.
    Right...and I was stating my OPINON, nowhere in my post did I declare any notion of fact. I'm not shooting the messenger RF. Take it easy.
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

Right...and I was stating my OPINON, nowhere in my post did I declare any notion of fact. I'm not shooting the messenger RF. Take it easy.
    You'd be surprised how many think I write them

# 80