+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Great breakdown of the Giants needs and mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Could have been very concerned about Glenns injury history with his back, and also could have thought there were later OL who had similar ability, while there were no later HBs with similar ability to Wilson
    Definitely the latter was commented on.

I didn't follow Glenn's injury history (didn't remember there being anything of note at the time). I'd have shied away from an OL with back problems too though.

As for RB being a need ... Jacobs was released with the draft in mind and Bradshaw wasn't hurt the point where anyone thought his career was over. While Brown was a project I agree, the Giants were high on Ware and Scott (or said they were prior to the draft).

But generally speaking, you draft the skill positions higher so I can't fault him for the logic. But that also means that short of getting handed a major blue chipper in the first two rounds, Giants fans shouldn't expect to see us draft an OL high in the draft in the near future (imo).

Sean Lee and Marvin Austin weren't even in the same draft.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Sean Lee and Marvin Austin weren't even in the same draft.
    Joseph was the DT we took when Lee was still on the board, not Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Can't find it ... basically (off of memory at the draft) Reese said that Cordy Glenn and David Wilson were so close, that he went with the position of most need (ironic considering OL was considered more in need than a RB by pretty much everybody).

When asked about Doug Martin, Reese said he had Wilson rated higher and as the highest rated RB where we picked. Somehow that got condensed to "highest rated player". But I'll keep digging for it.
    Not being a wise guy . . . just sort of surprised that Reese would actually admit that he took the lower rated guy (even if it was true)

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    Not being a wise guy . . . just sort of surprised that Reese would actually admit that he took the lower rated guy (even if it was true)
    The way he made it sound was that he basically had Wilson and Glenn rated almost identically (the difference being negligible in terms of the "tier" of the player) but with Glenn just slightly higher. He said he thought there was more value lower in the draft at OL than at RB which he saw as dropping sharply (the inference being that Wilson, Martin and Richardson being the only "tier 1" RBs in the draft).

He may very well have had Wilson rated higher ... but everyone in the country had Wilson as a mid-second round pick and Glenn as a mid-first round pick. So he might have just been saying that as an explanation (no GM wants his pick labeled as a reach).

My opinion is that he doesn't value OL as strongly as the skill positions (and DL in general). And you can make the case ... it's much harder to rate an OG than it is to rate a RB (especially trying to convert in your head how said person may work out in your system).
    Last edited by Kruunch; 01-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Considering that Joseph is arguably our best DT at a really thin position, and Sean Lee has started an average of 7 games per season since entering the league, I'm not so sure that Reese really made a poor decision on that one.

Oops you're right ... mixing up my DTs.

Considering that Joseph is arguably our best DT at a really thin position, and Sean Lee has started an average of 7 games per season since entering the league, I'm not so sure that Reese really made a poor decision on that one.
    True ... although Joseph has been questionable this year (good early on but disappeared midway through the season). But Lee has definitely been fragile so there ya go.

I know a lot of people here think Joseph is very good, but I just don't notice him at all making impact plays during games and other teams seeem to just run up the middle on us with no problem. I just wonder what everyone see in him.

Good point about Lee's injuries though.

I know a lot of people here think Joseph is very good, but I just don't notice him at all making impact plays during games and other teams seeem to just run up the middle on us with no problem. I just wonder what everyone see in him.

Good point about Lee's injuries though.
    Joseph has been fairly excellent up until this year. He started this year really strong, but like the rest of our defense, kind of disappeared.

DT's don't tend to be as flashy as pass rushers. When a QB has to scramble and throw it away, it's usually because the DT collapsed the middle of the pocket.

In general our run defense philosophy was fairly poor this year (Nascar my butt).

+ Reply to Thread