+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Victor Cruz Expected to Seek $8 - 10 Million Per Season

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    I guess we'll agree to disagree. We heard similar arguements with Steve Smith. That he and Eli were on the same page. That can be taught. And I'm fairly certain that at 1st round pick can matches Cruz production and more. But he could very well be a bust also. So who knows. It's one big calculated risk and if Reese's draft history is any indicator, he'll probably find someone decent (not necessarily a start) in the first round, and with the 8-10 million "freed", we go get us another piece of the puzzle - LT, DE, what have you. I think the sum of those 2 things > Cruz.

Edit: Another reason why I'm more willing to let Cruz go is because we have Eli. We have the luxury of having a QB that can work with less talented receivers than say Arizona or Jacksonville.

Coulda shoulda woulda. No one knows for sure.
    this is such a fair argument that it could very well end up being JR's reasoning. I agree. We all have seen one wr replace the other. Plex, to hixon for a bit, to smith, to nicks, to nicks n cruz, to cruz bc nicks was hurt...we won 2 games using barden and randle as the #1's...

is the risk of not being able to reproduce the results of cruz worth overpaying our set price on him? remember, thats the key thing here. not HOW the results are attained, but IF the SAME or BETTER results are attained. We dont need another guy/group of guys to do it exactly as cruz necessarily, they just have to be able to get the same end results.

He has been our best WR the past 2 years. If we lock up Cruz, say goodbye to Nicks and his injury prone body. Great receiver, but can't stay healthy. I think this is why we got Randle.
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

As long is there's a stipulation in his 10 mil contract that every dropped pass cost him 1 mil I think the Giants would get off cheap or at least only 1 mil a year. Cruz is good for at least 10 drops a season based on his last 16 games anyway. Let's see 10 mil minus 10 mil for dropps = playing for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverboat76 View Post
    Well, Reese hasn't consulted me on this yet, so I don't know for sure. But my guess is the Giants are not going to pay big for 2 recievers. I can't see them putting $18 million - $20 million/ year for two guys. I think Randle is a Nicks clone. He doesn't have the track record yet of Nicks, but we saw glimpses of it this year.
    We don't necessarily have to pay that much for 2 WR's...I'm saying if Cruz demands a little less knowing our current situation then there's a possibility we can sign Nicks as well.

Please support.
    Get well soon #80.

The Giants are never going to pay premium for somebody else's free agents. It's really never been their way. So all this talk about signing some stud O-Lineman or LB is just craziness. They will pay for their own, however. So over the years, guys like Osi, Tuck, Strahan, Eli have all been taken care of. They will take care of Cruz, just like next year they will take care of JPP.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverboat76 View Post
    Considering what less talented recievers have recieved in the last year, I would say 8-10 is a pretty educated guess. I would be THRILLED if the Giants signed him to less than that, but I'm not counting on that.

$8 - $10MM is high for him based on results, but a $5-$6 base with performance incentives, I could see that getting into the $8MM neighborhood. This year didn't help his case much.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    He has been our best WR the past 2 years. If we lock up Cruz, say goodbye to Nicks and his injury prone body. Great receiver, but can't stay healthy. I think this is why we got Randle.
    I thought we got Randle to replace MM

Please support.
    Get well soon #80.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    That's not what Cruz is asking for, it's an uneducated guess from the writer of the article.
    Hey I love Victor Cruz, but we can't pay him 8 to 10 MM/year. Not if we want to address other needs.

And for those who think Randle is a replacement for Nicks...I disagree. He was drafted as a replacement for Manningham. Nicks is the best WR on the team and is a top 5 WR in the league as far as I'm concerned. He's probably the best WR the Giants have ever had. Certainly since I've been a fan.

His problem is health. That damned broken foot caused all kinds of related problems this season. I can see us seeing if he can get healthy this coming season before we make a huge financial commitment to him.
    Get well soon 80.

another valid point i see being made is the subject of randle. i agree, he did strike me as a nicks type player, and also as a MM type player too. watch the replay of his 1rst td vs philly, the one on the PA, tell me that u can tell the difference between him and MM, i cant.

Randles play next year could be central to Nicks and maybe Cruz. The whole tender thing could be what JR does, and i agree with the posters its a crap shoot bc i can see a team forfeiting even a top 10 draft pick for cruz.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasman View Post
    $8 - $10MM is high for him based on results, but a $5-$6 base with performance incentives, I could see that getting into the $8MM neighborhood. This year didn't help his case much.
    really? i like the numbers, but disagree with the last statement.

+ Reply to Thread