+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    HWe don't know if Nicks will ever be 100% again though.
    that doesnt necessarily negate the question. can a less than 100% nicks attain a level of success from the slot as Cruz? thats got to be an angle looked at? and if not Nicks, then can a Randle, or JJ attain a level of success from the slot comparable to Cruz? Doesnt have to be through the same measures/ways, but the end result has to be the same; a consistent, high level of success.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Cruz can work anywhere on the field and is one of the best slot receivers in the League. I don't think that's where Nicks' value is to the Giants and if if worked in the slot would be be as effective as Cruz?

As with every season, you work on the player contracts you have to and take care of next season, next season.
    oh dont get me wrong, i agree with ur cruz analysis 1000%. thats why i question if we can attain similar levels of success, even if by different measures/ways, ie like by an aggregate of a combo of players even. the reason why, is a huge part of cruzs success in our offense is his play out of the slot. If we can attain that success through different, and more importantly, cheaper means, that has a huge implication on the cruz contract situation. see what i mean?

and to continue/add, IF nicks can be as effective out of the slot, does he become the better choice at keeping bc of his added presence on the outside?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    heres a question just for the sake of debate, but it is relevant: suppose we kept nicks and let cruz go in some alternate dimension. could nicks be a slot threat the way cruz is, not in how they accomplish the end result, but in the success of the end result? in less complicated words, can nicks achieve a level of success comparable to the level of success Cruz has had from the slot, even if its through different ways? IE, using Nicks like NO uses Colston...

I only ask bc the one thing that could falsely elevate Cruz's worth is the play from the slot. Hes amazing, maybe the best at it. But a big part of that is the scheme. He's an amazing wr i hate coming from a position of letting him walk bc it feels like im slighting him, im just trying to think about it from all angles
    If Nicks stays healthy he can be a top 10 if not top 5 receiver in this league, from his natural "x" position. I'd say a slot receiver is more valuable than an "x" receiver in most scenarios(just because you have to be a more versatile player to play out of the slot, more routes you must be able to run effectively). Personally I think Nicks is a better player than Cruz, but this is when he is healthy so I think the difference in value that each brings to this team is marginal

oh dont get me wrong, i agree with ur cruz analysis 1000%. thats why i question if we can attain similar levels of success, even if by different measures/ways, ie like by an aggregate of a combo of players even. the reason why, is a huge part of cruzs success in our offense is his play out of the slot. If we can attain that success through different, and more importantly, cheaper means, that has a huge implication on the cruz contract situation. see what i mean?
    Having Cruz back in the slot and Randle with a year of experience and Nicks (A healthy Nicks that is) on the outside could be unbelievably deadly... I think Randle has fantastic upside if he puts the work in. Could be a way better option than MM IMO. Getting back to the original topic.. We HAVE to pay cruz. 8-10 million seems fair. He's been healthy (knock on wood) and consistent. His rapport with Eli is there and will always get better with practice/games. With those 3 Recivers and resigning Hixon our Recievers are more than adequate at this point.. Get it done JR!

Antrel asks fans to "please stick with us" and when it's over "we'll all celebrate together."

If I were Reese THIS YEAR, I'd want to sign Cruz to a fair, long term contract. I'd also want to see Nicks' play next year not only to see his stats, but his durability before negotiating his contract. To protect against Nicks having continuing health issues in 2013, I'd also sign Hixon as a dependable understudy for whoever might not play games, solid #4 WR ( assuming Randle passes him on the depth chart) and punt/kick returner. He will come relatively cheaply IMO.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

that doesnt necessarily negate the question. can a less than 100% nicks attain a level of success from the slot as Cruz? thats got to be an angle looked at? and if not Nicks, then can a Randle, or JJ attain a level of success from the slot comparable to Cruz? Doesnt have to be through the same measures/ways, but the end result has to be the same; a consistent, high level of success.
    I don't think so. Because Nicks plays so physical, I don't think he is ever going to be the same. Cruz is possibly one of the best slot receivers in the game..don't know if Nicks can play that position being injured all the time. Randle? Maybe. I like Randle a lot.

Cruz will get paid.

Nicks will not get paid, at least by the Giants.

Randle is here to replace Nicks.

Banned
    and to continue/add, IF nicks can be as effective out of the slot, does he become the better choice at keeping bc of his added presence on the outside?
    No I don't think so. I think Cruz is a dominant slot receiver, and Nicks is dominant on the outside. Can Nicks play the slot, and can Cruz play the outside? Yes but imo they are not as effective. The way I look at it is that you could say the same thing about many other players on the team, but if they already starters and arguably dominant at their position then you aren't going to be moving them anyway, and therefore their value does not increase.

Another example would be JPP. I think everyone can agree that he is an athletic freak and could play(possibly start in on this defense) at linebacker. Does this increase his value? No because he is already great at what he does at DE, and hopefully would never think of moving him to LB. Then you could take a look at a borderline starter like Chase Blackburn, and being proficient at another position would definitely increase his value because the potential of him being moved out of his natural position is much greater than the other guys I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm

Would you like an official ruling?