+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    Steve Smith was coming off a knee injury and while he was arguably a better route runner than Cruz was, Cruz definitely has more raw talent and ability than Smith ever had.
    Yah. I got killed for saying that Steve Smith wasn't worth 7 million (I think the report was that he had declined a similar offer with the Giants the year before) even when healthy. For 7 million I would have rather had Greg Jennings or Vincent Jackson. I believe 7 million was the going rate for those kind of WRs back then. But yes. Cruz is definitely worth a lot more. He actually stretches the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasman View Post
    $8 - $10MM is high for him based on results, but a $5-$6 base with performance incentives, I could see that getting into the $8MM neighborhood. This year didn't help his case much.
    On this..I completely disagree. He validated his 2011 season with another outstanding season this year.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    We don't necessarily have to pay that much for 2 WR's...I'm saying if Cruz demands a little less knowing our current situation then there's a possibility we can sign Nicks as well.
    Sure, anything is possible. It's all going to be in what Nicks demands. But Nicks is a guy with an injury history. He had an awful year this year (he shouldn't have been playing IMO). If he thinks he will be paid like a top-tier receiver come next off-season, I think he's got another thing coming.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    really? i like the numbers, but disagree with the last statement.

That's OK, we can disagree on details. He had a good year certainly not a great one. Way too inconsistent. Still if we get him for the numbers I posted, I'd lock him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    We don't necessarily have to pay that much for 2 WR's...I'm saying if Cruz demands a little less knowing our current situation then there's a possibility we can sign Nicks as well.
    You gotta look at the other 31 teams in the league and see their WR situation. Heck, dudes like Kevin Boss received a decent pay day so you know someone like the Dolphins or Panthers will throw big bucks at him to give their young QB a #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    On this..I completely disagree. He validated his 2011 season with another outstanding season this year.
    I think he slipped this year from last.

By Victor no way I pay a slot receiver 10 million

Quote Originally Posted by Riverboat76 View Post
    Sure, anything is possible. It's all going to be in what Nicks demands. But Nicks is a guy with an injury history. He had an awful year this year (he shouldn't have been playing IMO). If he thinks he will be paid like a top-tier receiver come next off-season, I think he's got another thing coming.
    His injury history doesn't help him, but he is still an elite receiver. Cruz is one of the best receivers in the game, but 8-10 is so much money. Both of them would need to demand less IMO if they want to stay with the team.

Eli: "You actually caught a pass!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    Yah. I got killed for saying that Steve Smith wasn't worth 7 million (I think the report was that he had declined a similar offer with the Giants the year before) even when healthy. For 7 million I would have rather had Greg Jennings or Vincent Jackson. I believe 7 million was the going rate for those kind of WRs back then. But yes. Cruz is definitely worth a lot more. He actually stretches the defense.
    Exactly. I was also one of the ones who didn't see bringing Steve Smith back as being paramount, but the situation we are in now with Cruz is completely different. Plus if we don't bring him back who is going to start in the slot? JJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Hey I love Victor Cruz, but we can't pay him 8 to 10 MM/year. Not if we want to address other needs.

And for those who think Randle is a replacement for Nicks...I disagree. He was drafted as a replacement for Manningham. Nicks is the best WR on the team and is a top 5 WR in the league as far as I'm concerned. He's probably the best WR the Giants have ever had. Certainly since I've been a fan.

His problem is health. That damned broken foot caused all kinds of related problems this season. I can see us seeing if he can get healthy this coming season before we make a huge financial commitment to him.
    I don't think you draft a guy in the second round to be a 3rd or 4th reciever for a prolonged period of time. I may be giving Reese too much credit here, but I think he foresaw being able to only keep one (Cruz or Nicks) and Randle is the insurance policy. The Giants can always find a 3rd or 4th reciever in FA or later in the draft. Heck, Hixon is already on the team.