+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Victor Cruz Expected to Seek $8 - 10 Million Per Season

Quote Originally Posted by njg85m View Post
    While you are completely correct Roanoke, the media reports themselves are still not going to do us any good.
    You have to believe that Cruz, and especially his agent, have seen all 3000 headlines by now that claim he is worth $8-10 mil a season.
    If agents are relying on the media to determine their negotiation strategy they may as well use a ouija board. The negotiations began long before this media head "guess" and there are any number of facts that will factor in to what Cruz will ask for which should not be confused with what the team is willing to pay. What other receivers of similar circumstance are paid will factor in as will the fact that Cruz is pretty high up on the passes dropped list.

I don't think there's any doubt they want Cruz to remain a Giant with a long term contract. His back to back 1,000 yard seasons can't be ignored as well as his Pro Bowl selection. While I'm the first to point to the Pro Bowl as little more than a beauty contest , players like having that to point to when negotiating.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I think it's better than an 85% chance Cruz remains a GIANT
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-04-2013 at 03:25 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by njg85m View Post
    The relevance is that there are a couple teams in the league (*cough* raiders *cough*) who would be more than willing to pay that amount when Cruz starts to believe that's what he's worth. And the only thing I'm saying is that the nonstop media reports claiming that's what he's going to be asking for are definitely not helping one way or the other.

You and I both know that.
    Cruz and his agent know what they are looking for. To suggest that its now higher because a bunch of media folks and posters on MB's say he's worth it, would be to presuppose that Cruz and his agent are a couple of morons.
    The only thing that matters is what 32 teams are willing to pay for his services. What REALLY matters right now is what the Giants think they can sign him for based on the market and our needs as a football team.
    NOTHING that's been said over the past 2 or 3 days would change that in any way.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...qMvKqFlZLrp39M

Excerpt: "Victor Cruz has done enough to convince the Giants he deserves to be wearing his No. 80 jersey and doing his salsa in the end zone for a long time. It is going to cost the Giants dearly, though, to get him locked up with a multi-year deal.

Cruz is set to become a restricted free agent and he’s not going anywhere, as the Giants know they cannot operate their offense without his skills at receiver. They would likely tender him on a one-year deal if they cannot agree on a long-term contract.
    After playing for the NFL minimums the past three years, Cruz won’t come cheap, not after two outstanding seasons by a 26-year-old on the upside of his career. His asking price is expected to be somewhere between $8 million and $10 million per year. Cruz made $540,000 this season and the last two years he has been the greatest bargain in the league.

“I think I feel comfortable where we’re at,’’ Cruz said yesterday on his weekly WFAN spot. “I think I’ve done enough to show them I’m a good guy on and off the field and I’ve done everything positive up until this point to prove that I’m somebody the organization will want to keep around for a long time. I’m positive things will come around and a positive outcome will come out of all this.’’

Cruz has previously said he wanted a new deal in place before the end of the season and revealed weeks ago that he believed the structure for such a deal was in place. Talks, he reported, “got tabled for a couple weeks mainly because the two sides agreeing to disagree at the same time. Now that the season is over and the statistics are what they are I think we’re gonna get back and pick up the pen again and see what we can do.’’
    Cruz is one of 22 free agents for the Giants to sort through but he figures to be a top priority. Fellow receiver Hakeem Nicks was slowed all season with foot and ankle issues, allowing opposing defenses to swing the attention to Cruz. Still, he caught 86 passes for 1,092 yards and 10 touchdowns, all team highs. He hasn’t missed a game in two years.

A year ago, the free agent market produced some hefty salaries for receivers and Cruz will benefit from that spending spree. After all, he compares favorably to DeSean Jackson (five years, $47 million), Robert Meachem (four years, $25.9 million) and Pierre Garcon (five years, $42.5 million). Cruz’ two-year totals (168 catches, 2,628 yards, 19 touchdowns) are better than any two seasons put together by Vincent Jackson and he signed a five year, $55.6 million mega deal with the Buccaneers." Read more...
    8 - 10 million? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    “Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”
    ― George Carlin

CRUZ IS N OT MAKING THAT DEMAND, that is the writer's uneducated guess
    Hah! You can post that 1000 times, it won't matter. The story has wings now man...Cat's out of the bag and all that....The frenzy has begun.

Quote Originally Posted by M00KIE View Post
    Hah! You can post that 1000 times, it won't matter. The story has wings now man...Cat's out of the bag and all that....The frenzy has begun.
    I laughed yesterday when someone posted "I didn't read the article but....."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I really have to giggle at the people that think we're going to let our 2nd best offensive player this year (arguably best) walk, even though he has produced in back to back years. This isn't Steve Smith people, he's a cornerstone of our offense, one of the best slot guys in football, and can play outside pretty well too.

I still say we should let cruz go and just sign Bowe for 3 mil. Spend that money on the trenches

Quote Originally Posted by JayMas9 View Post
    I really have to giggle at the people that think we're going to let our 2nd best offensive player this year (arguably best) walk, even though he has produced in back to back years. This isn't Steve Smith people, he's a cornerstone of our offense, one of the best slot guys in football, and can play outside pretty well too.
    So what do you think he's worth?
    Last few avatars: Nicks, Bradshaw, Jacobs - who's the next future ex-Giant

I don't think Nicks is in the same category as Bradshaw who is perennially injured. But I do think the style of play for a running back and wide receiver require different skill sets. Nicks had a broken foot which healed and then the knee. I am assuming his knee will heal up with a few months rest and or some medical procedure if indicated.
    I think the knee was the real culprit this season. Before the knee issue arose, Nicks completely dominated the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. We didn't learn about the knee until after that game, when he had the surprising missed game vs the Panthers on Thursday, and then again vs. the Eagles.

+ Reply to Thread