+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1ST ROUND

Veteran

1ST ROUND

Already pretty excited for the draft. Looking at some tape of potential picks. I really don't care about need so I'm not interested in your feelings about positon just thoughts on the players themselves. I tend to follow reese in that BPA can give you a star in the first round which is superior to strengthening a weakness even if its glaring (do that in later rounds). Regardless if you agree or not just curious as to what you think of some players, I realize they may not all be around at 19, add anyone to your wish list but let me hear some scouting reports. And let me know thoughts on these guys:

Ziggy Ansah
    Chance Warmack
    Barkevious Mingo
    Sheldon Richardson
    Jake Mathews
    Jesse Williams
    Jonathan Hankins
    Eric FIsher

Jake Matthews is returning to Texas A&M next year so he can have a full year of tape at LT. Makes sense in the terms of $$$.

All of those guys look pretty good for our 1st rounder with the exception of Jesse Williams - I'd like to see more of a pass rushing threat and presence from him to warrant a 1st round selection.
    3/25/14 - Updated Mock with 5th round comp pick

1. Anthony Barr, Defensive End, UCLA
    2. Marcus Martin, Center Guard, USC
    3. Anthony Johnson, Defensive Nostril Tackle, LSU
    4. Marcel Jensen, Offensive End, Fresno State
    5. Wesley Johnson, Offensive Any Guard, Vanderbilt
    5. Aaron Colvin, Defensive Halfback, Oklahoma
    6. Storm Johnson, Guy Who Runs With Football, UCF

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Jake Matthews is returning to Texas A&M next year so he can have a full year of tape at LT. Makes sense in the sense of $$$.

All of those guys look pretty good for our 1st rounder with the exception of Jesse Williams - I'd like to see more of a pass rushing threat and presence from him to warrant a 1st round selection.
    Don't really think its necassary. Tyron Smith was a top 10 pick and he played exlcusively at RT for USC before moving to LT for the Cowboys this season

Veteran
    Oh thought mathews was out - forgive me.

Anyone have scouting reports on these guys - or just some eyeball tests? I have my thoughts on their tape and what I have seen - just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by juice33s View Post
    Don't really think its necassary. Tyron Smith was a top 10 pick and he played exlcusively at RT for USC before moving to LT for the Cowboys this season
    Matthews (or his agent?) must not expect him to be a top 10 pick this year or else he would just enter this year. I'm sure it's the guaranteed money bonus of being a top 5 pick he is seeking.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Matthews (or his agent?) must not expect him to be a top 10 pick this year or else he would just enter this year. I'm sure it's the guaranteed money bonus of being a top 5 pick he is seeking.
    Eitherway I don't agree with potential 1st round picks staying to improve their stock. The chance of injury is too much of a risk not to mention they'd be a year further away from their 2nd contract which due to the rookie wage scale is their real oppurtunity to make some serious money.

But also when you see guys like this stay usually it just means they were never 1st round picks to begin with. How many times have we seen "top 15" picks stay another year and drop out of the first round entirely? Haven't watched much tape of Matthews so i don't know if thats the case, but usually staying is the first indication.

Veteran
    I thought this was about the giants draft - why did it get moved. Fine with it - just curious and really wanting to hear some knowledgeable fans reports - any way to do that on main board?

Quote Originally Posted by dave56dj View Post
    I thought this was about the giants draft - why did it get moved. Fine with it - just curious and really wanting to hear some knowledgeable fans reports - any way to do that on main board?
    On the main board? I don't get why the draft stuff is moved now that our season is over but I'd suggest heading to Redeye's draft film room to check tape on some prospects if you have some spare time. He gives you full tape instead of highlights.

But also when you see guys like this stay usually it just means they were never 1st round picks to begin with. How many times have we seen "top 15" picks stay another year and drop out of the first round entirely? Haven't watched much tape of Matthews so i don't know if thats the case, but usually staying is the first indication.
    I would actually be slightly worried playing with Johnny Football for another season in terms of my draft potential. What if scouts end up perceiving him being a product of Manziel's success and uncanny abilities? I agree with you though that there is no guarantee of him being a top 5 pick next year.
    Last edited by TheEnigma; 01-05-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Veteran
    Thanks enigma - where do i find redeyes film room?