+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I was under the impression that for cap purposes the money is deferred (if the team wants to) over the original life the contract once the player is cut. So if a player signs a 5 year, $10 million contract with a $5 million signing bonus and is cut after the first year, the cap hit is spread out over the remaining 4 years (i.e. $1 million per year in this case to the tune of $4 million over the next 4 years).

The player already has his money (signing bonuses are paid immediately (just for general edification sake ... I know you know this)).

Also good point about how much of his salary might have been converted ... I forgot to mention that to the masses. A partial portion of a salary can be converted to a signing bonus (instead of the whole thing). This is still considered "restructuring" a contract.

Example: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...gning-bonuses-

P.S. - Rolle's original signing bonus was $5 million. The Giants are scheduled to pay out $9 million. I'd assume that the restructure was for $4 million. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-.../antrel-rolle/

Incidentally, he was guaranteed $15 million. Had he not reached that amount before he was cut I believe THAT amount gets accelerated (as opposed to the signing bonus or restructure).
    excellent. can't do better than that explanation. i do believe that signing bonus plus the portion of the guarantee not reached is accelerated.

Ok, Kruunch,

I went to the website you posted and I clicked on Eli Manning. When I did, it lists the Cap hit by each year of the contract. For example, it says that Eli's 2013 Cap hit would be 20,850,000.

so is it correct? Or does the restructuring of Eli's contract make this information untrue?

Thanks
    Do not feed the trolls.

a significant portion of the jump in his cap number is because of his restructuring.

and that number takes into account his restructuring. if you've noticed they don't calculate team 2013 cap numbers yet (they're still only showing 2012 team cap numbers).

fiddle around with that website. its the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    and that number takes into account his restructuring. if you've noticed they don't calculate team 2013 cap numbers yet (they're still only showing 2012 team cap numbers).

fiddle around with that website. its the bomb.
    But that's just it, if you click on the name, you do see what the 2013 cap numbers are. But my question is, are they accurate?
    Do not feed the trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    But that's just it, if you click on the name, you do see what the 2013 cap numbers are. But my question is, are they accurate?

this site has simplified the contracts to the best of its ability, but if we read one of those things i doubt we'd be able to figure out what the cap hit each season is.

for message board discussions, its as accurate as you're going to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Ok, Kruunch,

I went to the website you posted and I clicked on Eli Manning. When I did, it lists the Cap hit by each year of the contract. For example, it says that Eli's 2013 Cap hit would be 20,850,000.

so is it correct? Or does the restructuring of Eli's contract make this information untrue?

Thanks
    That's correct and it's large because he's already been restructured.

But we're not the only team dealing with a $20 million player (Denver, New Orleans, etc ...).

Quote Originally Posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    this site has simplified the contracts to the best of its ability, but if we read one of those things i doubt we'd be able to figure out what the cap hit each season is.

for message board discussions, its as accurate as you're going to find.
    Correct. That site doesn't list any strange clauses, deferrals, incentives and so on. It does get updated fairly frequently however, so if a player restructures, you should see it up there (which changes the numbers for the rest of the contract as well).

It's good for general knowledge and to see who's draining your team

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Problem is we dont know the actual contract details. Those arent public info.

For instance, I believe Rolle restructured last season, but what are the details of that restructuring?
    Yeah. We don't get the official numbers. Patricia Traina seems to think we'll have a decent chunk of change to work with (basing it off of a $121m cap), but hasn't given that number out yet (or even a ballpark), lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I was under the impression that for cap purposes the money is deferred (if the team wants to) over the original life the contract once the player is cut. So if a player signs a 5 year, $10 million contract with a $5 million signing bonus and is cut after the first year, the cap hit is spread out over the remaining 4 years (i.e. $1 million per year in this case to the tune of $4 million over the next 4 years).
    I thought I had read that all of the cap hit has to hit within 2 years. So it is indeed accelerated.

+ Reply to Thread