+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A good idea

A good idea

It would be a good idea if someone (who knows what they are doing) could calculate (or approximately calculate) the Cap hits for various players, particularly the ones that often creep up in these MB conversations of late. Then they could be posted in a sticky topic, like the snap count thread. Then we could all refer to them in our many MB conversations, (and blast the fools who don't know what they are talking about! Fun!)

Thank you in advance, person who knows what they are doing.
    You are all welcome for my good idea.
    Do not feed the trolls.

Problem is we dont know the actual contract details. Those arent public info.

For instance, I believe Rolle restructured last season, but what are the details of that restructuring?

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post

For instance, I believe Rolle restructured last season, but what are the details of that restructuring?
    Generally speaking, when you restructure a contract (for cap reasons) you're taking the players' salary for that year and guaranteeing it. That allows you to treat it as a signing bonus and divide it equally over the remainder of the contract as far as the cap is concerned.

Other details in restructuring are pay differences (usually less if at all ... ) and length of contract (ala Osi's extension).

Rolle's restructure was a typical cap move.

Maybe an estimated range then?

Maybe it could be added to the off-season guide?
    Do not feed the trolls.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/

Click on the individual to get the contract specifics. You save base salary and the first $150-250k of the "Misc. Bonus" which is typically the work out bonus (assuming you're cutting before OTAs). Signing bonuses and the remainder of the Misc. Bonus must be paid if cut.

This doesn't include any weirdness in the contract itself (such as deferrals and what not which are rarities).

In the case of Rolle, we'd have to pay him $2 million if we cut him before OTAs and $2 million next year. We'd save $7 million (his base salary) for this year.

You can go on down and apply the same method to all of the other players (it really isn't as complex as all that).

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Generally speaking, when you restructure a contract (for cap reasons) you're taking the players' salary for that year and guaranteeing it. That allows you to treat it as a signing bonus and divide it equally over the remainder of the contract as far as the cap is concerned.

Other details in restructuring are pay differences (usually less if at all ... ) and length of contract (ala Osi's extension).

Rolle's restructure was a typical cap move.
    I know how restructures work, but I dont know the details of his.

If his base salary was 7 million, and he had 3 years left on it, and converted 6 of the 7 million to a signing bonus, then it adds another 2 million to every year on his contract.

So his cap hit in the current year would have been 3 million ($1mil base + $2mil signing bonus)

But we dont have the details of what it was.

If he is cut, all that signing bonus money accelerates and hits in the current year. Though I believe it can be spread through 2 years.

We need the details. I have no idea of how much of his money was converted to a signing bonus over how many years.

So if Rolle was cut, then the giants should be on the hook for the signing bonus, which in this case would have been the $6 million, plus I believe the original signing bonus which was also distributed through his contract.
    Last edited by slipknottin; 01-03-2013 at 02:06 PM.

I know how restructures work, but I dont know the details of his.

If his base salary was 7 million, and he had 3 years left on it, and converted 6 of the 7 million to a signing bonus, then it adds another 2 million to every year on his contract.

So his cap hit in the current year would have been 3 million ($1mil base + $2mil signing bonus)

But we dont have the details of what it was.

If he is cut, all that signing bonus money accelerates and hits in the current year. Though I believe it can be spread through 2 years.

We need the details. I have no idea of how much of his money was converted to a signing bonus over how many years.

So if Rolle was cut, then the giants should be on the hook for the signing bonus, which in this case would have been the $6 million, plus I believe the original signing bonus which was also distributed through his contract.
    I was under the impression that for cap purposes the money is deferred (if the team wants to) over the original life the contract once the player is cut. So if a player signs a 5 year, $10 million contract with a $5 million signing bonus and is cut after the first year, the cap hit is spread out over the remaining 4 years (i.e. $1 million per year in this case to the tune of $4 million over the next 4 years).

The player already has his money (signing bonuses are paid immediately (just for general edification sake ... I know you know this)).

Also good point about how much of his salary might have been converted ... I forgot to mention that to the masses. A partial portion of a salary can be converted to a signing bonus (instead of the whole thing). This is still considered "restructuring" a contract.

Example: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...gning-bonuses-

P.S. - Rolle's original signing bonus was $5 million. The Giants are scheduled to pay out $9 million. I'd assume that the restructure was for $4 million. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-.../antrel-rolle/

Incidentally, he was guaranteed $15 million. Had he not reached that amount before he was cut I believe THAT amount gets accelerated (as opposed to the signing bonus or restructure).
    Last edited by Kruunch; 01-03-2013 at 03:11 PM.

my eyes just glazed over.
    Do not feed the trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    my eyes just glazed over.
    Which is why these same exact posts appear every year

The new CBA hasn't helped either.

But hey, you asked!

this all i could find

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-.../antrel-rolle/

+ Reply to Thread