+ Reply to Thread

Coaching Consistency Helps Eli Manning

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...6-74dffbd7a1d0

"While the season of firing and hiring is fully underway around the NFL, ELi Manning doesn’t have to worry about dealing with an overhaul. And he hasn’t since becoming a Giant.

Over the years, Manning has developed under basically the same leadership of Tom Coughlin and Kevin Gilbride, who was the quarterbacks coach from 2004-06 before becoming offensive coordinator. With the offseason officially underway, Manning relishes the congruity heading into his 10th year.

“I think it’s a great advantage to have going into the offseason knowing, hey, it’s going to be the same offense, we’re going to be able to grow, we’re going to be able to expand,” Manning told WFAN’s Mike Francesa. “Each year our offensive coaches work hard to see what’s working, what concepts are really working well for us and what’s not and what can we learn, what are other teams doing that they’re having success. So I think we’ll work hard at that and I think having receivers come back and offensive linemen who know the offense, who know the ins and outs, who quickly learn, and I think those are all positive things.”

LISTEN: QB ELI MANNING ON WFAN >>

But the consistency of the main parts in place is what made 2012 so baffling to the Giants, who were anything but that – consistent. Making it even more difficult to digest, Manning knew the potential the team had as well as the opportunities, which aren’t guaranteed every year.

“I think having played enough years to know when you have a talented team and when you have a playoff-caliber team and a team that could possibly win a championship, you kind of know when you have that type of group,” Manning continued. “And I think we had that this year. And we had a talented team that could go in and beat any team. On a certain day, we could beat anybody, and we knew that. So when you miss the playoffs and you can’t give yourself even a chance at a championship, it’s definitely unfortunate."

Manning added: “We knew after last year that you just can’t flirt with 9-7 and expect that to be good enough. We got fortunate last year. This year, we knew that wasn’t going to be the case. We knew it late in the year that that wasn’t going to be the case, and I think you can always look back at a season and pick a few games – ‘we could have won this one, we could have won that one, it’s important.’ But it’s usually at the end of a year, you’re going to kind of know the scenario, you’re going to know what you need to do to possibly make the playoffs, what games you need to win. And this year was right in front of us. We knew what we had to do and we didn’t go do it.”
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

I agree with Eli. Look at some of these QB's with coaches and OC's changing often. Not a pretty sight.

It's in line with the team's philosophy of continuity
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

All-Pro
    There is certainly something to be said for consistency, however if things never change how do you really know if it actually helps or not? One thing is certain, Eli has been far from consistent, even in the SB runs the offense was great one week then horrible the next. I am not advocating a change in OC, but fearing change isn't healthy either. If nothing changes, nothing improves. Conversely, change isn't always for the better.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    There is certainly something to be said for consistency, however if things never change how do you really know if it actually helps or not? One thing is certain, Eli has been far from consistent, even in the SB runs the offense was great one week then horrible the next. I am not advocating a change in OC, but fearing change isn't healthy either. If nothing changes, nothing improves. Conversely, change isn't always for the better.
    The third paragraph of Eli's interview suggests they do try different things including seeing what works on other teams.

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Two SB Championships, I think is all that needs to be said, it is working.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The_ One View Post
    Oh dear lord... I specifically said I am not advocating a change, what I said was that there is no way to know if "consistency" is helping or hurting, or for that matter having no impact at all. For all we know a different OC could have brought 3 SBs in 5 years... then again it could have resulted in 0. It is all speculation.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

It didn't help him throw a touchdown on Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    It didn't help him throw a touchdown on Atlanta
    He hasn 't been consistent this season

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by The_ One View Post
    that statement grows tiresome what about the non productive years?

it would make sense if they were consistent, or if you saw adjustments and changes during the season,

after 9 years everyone becomes complacent, Eli may have hit a wall and something new may elevate him to another level of quarterbacking,