+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran

Reese: Wilson can be 'lead dog'

David Wilson may go from the doghouse to being the "lead dog" next season.

General manager Jerry Reese and head coach Tom Coughlin discussed the state of the Giants heading into the offseason on WFAN on Thursday, and the GM believes Wilson has what it takes to start next year.

"I don’t think there’s any question that he can be that," Reese said, when asked if Wilson can be a lead back. "It’s a two- and three-back league nowadays, but do I think he can be a lead dog? I do think that.

"Because he’s not a little guy, and he has incredible balance," Reese continued. "You see guys have some big hits on him and he stays up -- he’s not an easy guy to take down. So he’s much stronger than you might think just from how he looks on the field. But he’s a sleek, well-chiseled athlete. I do believe he can be the lead back."

Coughlin said he still believes the Giants are best served by a two- and even possibly a three-back rotation. Andre Brown, who will be a restricted free agent, was a part of that rotation before he broke his leg.

In the Giants' 42-7 win over the Eagles in the season finale, Bradshaw rushed for 107 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries, and Wilson ran for 75 yards on 15 carries while catching a touchdown as well. Coughlin will take that kind of one-two punch any day.

"Oh, he can be a 15-carry guy," Coughlin said of Wilson. "I think you’d be surprised how strong this guy is. He has outstanding legs. He wants it, he wants to be a player, he wants to do well, he loves to play and I think he had outstanding endurance. I’ve seen him. I mean (heck), he runs all day long. I like that part of it."

"It takes more than one," the coach added, of needing multiple backs. "Sometimes it takes three. Back in ’07, we had three of them."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...an-be-lead-dog

He had better think that, he drafted him #1
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. You don't draft a 1st round RB to ride the pine most the time.
    If you dig up the dirt in Oakland, you will find Giant bones

3/18/14 Draft:
    1-Aaron Donald DT Pitt
    2-Kareem Martin DE UNC
    3-Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Neb
    4-C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
    5-Bryan Stork C FSU
    5-Chris Watt G ND
    6-Jeff Janis WR SV

Soooo...Bradshaw is done here then?

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Lol I said the exact same thing in my head as I was reading

Quote Originally Posted by GoDeep80 View Post
    Soooo...Bradshaw is done here then?
    not necessarily they could use bradshaw as the 3rd down back, although he does make alot of money to be a backup. Andre Brown was also coming along nicely so who knows which way they coaching staff decides to go. What I do know is we will need alot of $$$ to sign Cruz, Nicks and JPP to future contracts

What of Da'Rel Scott? Is he just another Barden?

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    What of Da'Rel Scott? Is he just another Barden?
    He was originally intended to be a new speedster project, but didn't really pan out. For ever Reese "project" that succeeds, there's at least one that fails...

Post 4/20 mock draft:
    Round 1: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
    Round 2: ASJ, TE, Washington
    Round 3: Marcus Martin, C, USC
    Round 4: Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford
    Round 5: Khairi Fortt, OLB, California
    Round 6: Ethan Westbrooks, DE, West Texas A&M
    Round 6 comp: Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    He was originally intended to be a new speedster project, but didn't really pan out. For ever Reese "project" that succeeds, there's at least one that fails...
    id say the jury is still out on him. hes had some very impressive runs himself and he has some hidden power as well.

and with the rb situation, we're def not getting rid of bradshaw imo. u just heard JR and TC say how 3 backs are needed. I think Wilson starts, Bradshaw 3rd down back, and AB2 spells them both.

All signs are pointing to bradshaw being off this team.. The interview with francessa today.. Did JR even mention bradshaw once? I really think bradshaws time here could be up IMO.

Antrel asks fans to "please stick with us" and when it's over "we'll all celebrate together."