+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Giants to Hold 2013 training camp at Timex Performance Center

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Giants informed Albany they will hold their 2013 training camp at the Timex Performance Center, their year-round headquarters.

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Co-owners John Mara, Steve Tisch say they'll evaluate camp plans "on an ongoing basis" + won't rule out an Albany return in the future. #nyg

Statement from John Mara and Steve Tisch re: 2013 training canp

“The University at Albany and the Capital Region have been great hosts for us during our training camps,” Giants President and Chief Executive Officer John Mara and Chairman and Executive Vice President Steve Tisch said in a joint statement. “UAlbany truly has been the summer home of the Giants. We are grateful to Mayor Jennings and to Dr. McElroy and his staff in the athletic department for making us feel welcome and providing the resources we needed to prepare for the season. We are fortunate to have a facility in the Timex Performance Center that allows us to hold training camp here. We have told Mayor Jennings and Dr. McElroy that we will evaluate our training camp situation on an ongoing basis and certainly would not rule out a return to Albany in the future if it makes sense for both parties.

-Per Tom Rock

How does that work...Never been to Timex but does that mean that the facility will be open to the public? Or will it just be a closed off training camp this year...

Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    How does that work...Never been to Timex but does that mean that the facility will be open to the public? Or will it just be a closed off training camp this year...
    I believe they have an outdoor turf fields there and they would set-up bleachers around the field. At least that's what they did in 2011 when the training camp was shortened due to the lockout.

great!!! so they take away the only chance some of us get to see them live and up close....wonderful
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    I believe they have an outdoor turf fields there and they would set-up bleachers around the field. At least that's what they did in 2011 when the training camp was shortened due to the lockout.
    Yea they do have a large outdoor field and they do supply bleachers for spectators. There is plenty of parking because the parking lots are part of the NJ Sports Complex. The parking will probably be free because it's all on state owned land. That is............it was last time the Giants used the Timex Center for training.

Interesting!
    New York Giants Superbowl XXI, XXV, XLII, XLVI Champions!!!!!

Probably has to do with some of that rain they had during camp this year that forced the team to do walkthroughs on the basketball court instead of actual practices. Timex has a full-size indoor football field...

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Probably has to do with some of that rain they had during camp this year that forced the team to do walkthroughs on the basketball court instead of actual practices. Timex has a full-size indoor football field...
    That and the cost of a state of the art facility that is underutilized
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Giants 101 is saying a lot has to do with the fact that they can't run two-a-days anymore due to the CBA. It says that it's not worth transporting everything up there for one practice per day. Also said that the "tiny" beds may be a factor.

I'm not sure I like this. The idea of camp is to also build team. Now each night after practice each player goes back to their own private digs. Also allows the players will be able "enjoy" the NYC nightlife all summer instead of being trapped up in Albany. This may not be the best idea.