+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation With FA looming, Let's compile a list of former Giants who committed 'career suicide'

So the topic title only allows so many words. Basically let's compile a complete list of players whose performance 'fell off' considerably the following season(s) after departing us.

I'll start..

Brandon Jacobs
    Manningham
    Shockey
    Steve Smith
    Bavaro (Was actually cut after the injury so really doesn't qualify, although he would of retired a Giant)
    Plax
    Gibril Wilson
    Kevin Boss
    Goff
    Aaron Ross
    Tollefson
    Cofield (Could of had another ring)
    Tiki (Retired but would have probably won a ring)
    Armstead
    Luke Petitgout
    Ike Hilliard
    Tim Carter (Although he was traded)
    Will Allen
    William Joseph ? Can't remember if we released him or not
    Derrick Ward loved Ward
    Will Demps

That's QUITE the long list....

List of players that have done well for themselves:

Visanthe
    Jurevicus
    Ron Dayne
    Dhani Jones
    Freddy Robbins

Add on

Basically almost everyone that departs us in one way or another would give their pay check to be back in Giants blue.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

"Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

#80 - Get well soon Vic

Veteran
    PLax shot himself
    Dont fully agree with mario - went to a good team had a decent year and got hurt - but team went further then gmen
    Luke played almost his whole career with gmen and we let him go - just tried to extend his career.
    Tolly and gibril just wanted pay days cant blame em - werent getting it here - guess same can be said of most guys.

i'd agree that they may have been better off in blue but these guys have to get paid and quickly the time span of a player is so small.

Its about getting paid to make a living or an entire lifetime off a bonecrunching sport. Then once the contract is signed the guys can focus on winning. But I really dont blame one of them for the former. I will say a guy like jacobs could easily have taken a couple of hundred thousand less to stay in blue and actually play. With the great deal of cash being offered .1 or .5 really has to be considered carefully if you are in a good spot (starting or rotating in) with a goodQB/ coach/ offense - like the Gmen have helping your stats
    Last edited by dave56dj; 01-05-2013 at 06:31 PM.

I'm sure every team has a similar sized list.

I would say Cameron Wake but we cut him before he even played a snap for us

Quote Originally Posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
    So the topic title only allows so many words. Basically let's compile a complete list of players whose performance 'fell off' considerably the following season(s) after departing us.

I'll start..

Brandon Jacobs
    Manningham
    Shockey
    Steve Smith
    Bavaro (Was actually cut after the injury so really doesn't qualify, although he would of retired a Giant)
    Plax
    Gibril Wilson
    Kevin Boss
    Goff
    Aaron Ross
    Tollefson
    Cofield (Could of had another ring)
    Tiki (Retired but would have probably won a ring)
    Armstead
    Luke Petitgout
    Ike Hilliard
    Tim Carter (Although he was traded)
    Will Allen
    William Joseph ? Can't remember if we released him or not
    Derrick Ward loved Ward
    Will Demps

That's QUITE the long list....

List of players that have done well for themselves:

Visanthe
    Jurevicus
    Ron Dayne
    Dhani Jones
    Freddy Robbins

Add on

Basically almost everyone that departs us in one way or another would give their pay check to be back in Giants blue.
    Coefield was been a very solid player for the skins.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    Coefield was been a very solid player for the skins.
    I listed him because he could have won another ring. Can't blame him for wanting a pay day though.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

#80 - Get well soon Vic

But the title of the thread is career suicide. Cofield surely did not do that.

Quote Originally Posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
    I listed him because he could have won another ring. Can't blame him for wanting a pay day though.
    He could possibly win another this year....

Veteran
    NYG i think i would agree that most of these guys could have had more playing time and even more on field success with gmen but that said would it have benefited them off the field. They have to be business men first and take care of their lives. The game they play takes years off their lives and could injure them for life. I understand their need for the most money they can get. Yes sometimes guys who are making 5 mill a year could take 4.5 but its much harder for the guy making 2.9 to take 2.3 not knowing if he has much longer in the league.

How can shockey win another - he isnt in league.

Quote Originally Posted by dave56dj View Post
    PLax shot himself
    Dont fully agree with mario - went to a good team had a decent year and got hurt - but team went further then gmen
    Luke played almost his whole career with gmen and we let him go - just tried to extend his career.
    Tolly and gibril just wanted pay days cant blame em - werent getting it here - guess same can be said of most guys.

i'd agree that they may have been better off in blue but these guys have to get paid and quickly the time span of a player is so small.

Its about getting paid to make a living or an entire lifetime off a bonecrunching sport. Then once the contract is signed the guys can focus on winning. But I really dont blame one of them for the former. I will say a guy like jacobs could easily have taken a couple of hundred thousand less to stay in blue and actually play. With the great deal of cash being offered .1 or .5 really has to be considered carefully if you are in a good spot (starting or rotating in) with a goodQB/ coach/ offense - like the Gmen have helping your stats
    I wouldn't say Rio had a decent year at all, even before the injury. You really think he enjoyed going from Eli Mannign to Alex Smith? lol

Ah right, forgot he released Luke.

Can't blame Tollefson but Gibril had it good here. His career was over once he went the Oakland. Although he had his best season with them.... just no team success. have to wonder if he regrets that decision.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

#80 - Get well soon Vic