+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61

Thread: Martellus Bennett- Resign or No-Resign?

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    are u kidding? Jake Ballard, Kevin Boss did just as good for teh most part.. Those are 5th rd draft picks outta W.Oregon who did nothing after leaving NY, and a UDF who did very little at Ohio St.. Like BParcells said, we can do better...
    He wasn't talking about the past TEs we've had. No disrespect but do you believe any undrafted or late round pick will pan out just because Boss and Ballard did? Thats a risky way to make personnel decisions. The question is who can we get to replace Bennett next year? Seem like the only legitimate choice is to draft a rookie. I'd rather re-sign Bennett but obviously only if the cost is right and use the draft pick else where. No one is listing possible choices, other than the 4th round rookie that you expect to play as well or better than Bennett in his rookie year.
    Last edited by DarceChoke; 01-06-2013 at 11:44 AM.

  2. #52
    Resign him, no brainer. He's also said he's willing to work a favorable contract to stay. If they fix the OL a little bit, he can be even more active in the passing game, and I think he just keeps getting better.

  3. #53
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    35,161
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    are u kidding? Jake Ballard, Kevin Boss did just as good for teh most part.. Those are 5th rd draft picks outta W.Oregon who did nothing after leaving NY, and a UDF who did very little at Ohio St.. Like BParcells said, we can do better...
    Those were also guys who were in at least their 2nd year in Gilbrides system.

  4. #54
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95,501
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Those were also guys who were in at least their 2nd year in Gilbrides system.
    If we keep Bennett, I would expect his numbers to improve.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  5. #55
    All-Pro nycsportzfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    30,212
    Quote Originally Posted by DarceChoke View Post
    He wasn't talking about the past TEs we've had. No disrespect but do you believe any undrafted or late round pick will pan out just because Boss and Ballard did? Thats a risky way to make personnel decisions. The question is who can we get to replace Bennett next year? Seem like the only legitimate choice is to draft a rookie. I'd rather re-sign Bennett but obviously only if the cost is right and use the draft pick else where. No one is listing possible choices, other than the 4th round rookie that you expect to play as well or better than Bennett in his rookie year.
    Ya, i'm basically making the decison i suggested because of how cap strapped we are, and how every cent we can save will be helpful going forward.. And if we drafted a guy like Kelce, i think it'd be cost effective, and worth the gamble, judged by past results of doing similar things ala Ballard and Boss...

  6. #56
    All-Pro nycsportzfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    30,212
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Those were also guys who were in at least their 2nd year in Gilbrides system.
    Boss took over for Shockey when he got hurt his rookie season and was productive... Guys like Kelce, or Sims or Fuaria could do a good job as rookies as well, and save us money.. Kelce and Sims are really good blockers as well...

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Montemayor View Post
    I love the TE. He is such a bad*** yet he may have his sights set somewhere else. Should we make him an offer he can't refuse?, or find a replacement? You decide.
    he already said he wanted to stay and will take a "hometown discount" so i expect him to be here 3-4 years!

    i think JR will keep him at a fair price!

  8. #58
    if we resighn as we should we already have in reeses own words a great athelete in robinson waiting.also this would solidify a position that has been in flux the last couple of years

  9. #59
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    35,161
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Boss took over for Shockey when he got hurt his rookie season and was productive... Guys like Kelce, or Sims or Fuaria could do a good job as rookies as well, and save us money.. Kelce and Sims are really good blockers as well...
    Dont be ridiculous.

    Boss had 9 catches for 118 yards and 2 TDs his rookie year. In the playoffs he had another 5 catches for 90 yards.

    Thats not productive at all.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Dont be ridiculous.Boss had 9 catches for 118 yards and 2 TDs his rookie year. In the playoffs he had another 5 catches for 90 yards. Thats not productive at all.
    Even Boss's second year in the system he had less than 400 yards and around 32 catches. Bennett has out performed that in one year and while hurt. Ballads numbers were close to Bennett's but Bennett still out performed him in every category.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts