+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-sign Lawrence Tynes?

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    No, I'm really not a fan of his.

I just think an NFL kicker should be physically capable of attempting a 50+ yard kick, just like a MLB pitcher should be able to break 90 mph with a fastball.

And considering the weather he needs to play in, it's even more important that he has a strong leg....which, sadly, he does not.

I'm not saying he sucks....I'm saying the Giants could do better.
    How do you know that? We could easily end up with a Matt Dodge kicker, then what? If someone substantially better is available, ok...But who is that guy exactly? Shoot a name out with that proclamation.

It took us a long while to find Tynes. Keep the guy, he is the best thing out there at this point and he has been pretty consistent. Not every kicker is going to make all the kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    I am sure someone here can research the percentages on that kick. I bet that kick gets missed by NFL kickers more than 60% of the time.
    Yeah, that looks about right, although there were a handful who kicked 100% from 50+:

Blair Walsh: 10/10
    Phil Dawson: 7/7
    Matt Bryant and Justin Tucker: 4/4

Tynes' 1/3 is near the bottom, percentage-wise. He's deadly from any range shorter, though.
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 01-05-2013 at 07:03 AM.

I'm happy with Tynes, as long as we don't overpay.. keep him! 50+ yarders are iffy by most kickers. Obviously there are a few that are really good at 50+ but not a lot. He's money under 45 yards and I'm okay with that. A team shouldn't have to depend on 50+ yard FG's to win games anyways..

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedYouth85 View Post
    A team shouldn't have to depend on 50+ yard FG's to win games anyways..
    Exactly. I consider a 50+ yard field goal miss to be more of an indictment on that team's offense rather than its kicker.

Teams with the most attempts from that far out were Minnesota, St Louis, Cleveland and Oakland, among others. Hardly offensive powerhouses.
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 01-05-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Exactly. I consider a 50+ yard field goal miss to be more of an indictment on that team's offense, not its kicker. The teams with the most attempts from that far out were Minnesota, St Louis, Cleveland and Oakland, among others. Hardly offensive powerhouses.
    Yup, teams with the best kickers tend to be teams that don't score a lot of TDs. Looks like most of those teams.. lol

San Francisco 2012. Keep him, he is a clutch kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    I'm not going to fault Tynes for that dopey playcall by Gilbride and Eli.

But the fact is, he missed a kick that most NFL kickers can make. Weak *** mother ****er couldn't even clear the cross bar.
    he also kept them in games they would have other wise lost.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

In my opinion what you want from a kicker is a certain level of consistency. I think he brings that. I don't have a big issue with his struggles at 50+ yards. Very few kickers hit those consistently and if you are going to base your kicker choice on that then spend the money on improving your offense instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasman View Post
    In my opinion what you want from a kicker is a certain level of consistency. I think he brings that. I don't have a big issue with his struggles at 50+ yards. Very few kickers hit those consistently and if you are going to base your kicker choice on that then spend the money on improving your offense instead.
    Totally agree, he is a very consistant kicker.. I'd rather have him then Jay Feely..

+ Reply to Thread