+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Re-sign Lawrence Tynes?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Who?
    I think there's a thing in place where you can select players on college teams. I'll check back to see what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    Tynes has not missed an extra point attempt since 2007. Four + consecutive seasons with no missed extra point attempts (he missed most of 2008). He may have set a Giants record with extra points made vs attempted, although I cannot find verification right now. I thought Michael Eisen made that point in one of his "Inside the numbers" post game articles last year.

He was 100% (11 of 11) in attempts/made FGs under 30 yards this year. He made 14 of 16 attempts at 30-39 yards (and he made 7 of 9 attempts from 40-49 yeards). So, no, Tynes has not "inexplicably" missed "what are basically chip shots sometimes".

And if you are referring to attempts made from 30 yards and beyond as "chip shots", you might want to ask a pro place kicker if that's the case.

It's certainly your perogative to dislike a player, but please don't make up nonexistent "stats" to justify your dislike.
    Ahh, there he is. My biggest fan. I've missed you and your erudite thrashings! I just haven't felt right without them

"Sometimes", the last time I checked, does not neccessarily denote THIS season. In years past, I recall him missing some kicks that, based on their pay grades and skill levels, would have been considered chip shots that very few NFL kickers would have missed, and in less than prime conditions. Since you are so fond of pin point grammatical accuracy, calling them "chip shots", I suppose, was too much for you to handle. Sorry about the misnomer.

What I do know is that even after all of these years, I still break into a sweat whenever Tynes is called upon. You can bring all of the stats your little heart can handle, but it still wont change the fact that, in his career, he has not always been so reliable. I dont expect perfection, and he has been relatively consistent in recent years, but he will never sit well with me. If I were so inclined, and if I gave a damn about stats even a little bit, I'd use them. Stats are for losers. I watch the games and form my opinions by what I see on the field, and what I've seen from Tynes overall convinces me that the Giants can do better, and for likely less of a cap hit.

Say hi to the family, and dont be such a stranger!

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Exile View Post
    You just pwned that dude. Bet he doesn't even reply.
    I've been "pwned"? Oh, the humanity! LOL

How much did you lose?

What if we draft a kicker and get Matt Dodge in kicker form

The 1 against the Falcons really hurt. it was so deflating

Quote Originally Posted by M00KIE View Post
    How do you know that? We could easily end up with a Matt Dodge kicker, then what? If someone substantially better is available, ok...But who is that guy exactly? Shoot a name out with that proclamation.
    There are 2 Draftable kickers Caleb Sturgis from Florida and Dustin Hopkins from FSU who has a monster leg. I saw him kick a 60 yarder in the spring game. No way I make a kicker video. Jags fans requested a Punter video from me

Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    Ahh, there he is. My biggest fan. I've missed you and your erudite thrashings! I just haven't felt right without them

"Sometimes", the last time I checked, does not neccessarily denote THIS season. In years past, I recall him missing some kicks that, based on their pay grades and skill levels, would have been considered chip shots that very few NFL kickers would have missed, and in less than prime conditions. Since you are so fond of pin point grammatical accuracy, calling them "chip shots", I suppose, was too much for you to handle. Sorry about the misnomer.

What I do know is that even after all of these years, I still break into a sweat whenever Tynes is called upon. You can bring all of the stats your little heart can handle, but it still wont change the fact that, in his career, he has not always been so reliable. I dont expect perfection, and he has been relatively consistent in recent years, but he will never sit well with me. If I were so inclined, and if I gave a damn about stats even a little bit, I'd use them. Stats are for losers. I watch the games and form my opinions by what I see on the field, and what I've seen from Tynes overall convinces me that the Giants can do better, and for likely less of a cap hit.

Say hi to the family, and dont be such a stranger!
    Stats could arguably for "losers" in some cases, I agree. But with kickers, stats are just about the only way to evaluate their performance. They either make a FG or extra point, or they don't. Their kickoffs either are touchbacks or they are not.

You stated quite clearly that you "recall" Tynes "missing a couple xtra points" this year. Well, he didn't, and he has not for 5 seasons. You complain that this year he's missed a couple "chip shots" that even you could make. Well, let's see you make 16 out of 16 FG attempts from 30-39 yards.

You like to rely upon your anecdotal "recollection" to refute and diminish the actual (real) results of statistical fact. But your recollections are--as documented. therefore the relevance of stats--completely incorrect.

You even admit that Tynes "has been relatively consistent in recent years" (your words), yet you prefer to cling to your impression of Tynes from 5 years ago when he was not quite as consistent as he's been the last 4 years ("but he will never sit well with me")..

You express great disdain for stats. Fine. Sometimes, depending upon player position and its impact on the team and in specific games, I agree.

But you also "watch the games and form...opinions by what (you) see on the field". Well, most fans do, as well. You are not unique in that regard.

But what basis in reality do you conclude from watching Tynes overall--as you put it--"that the Giants can do better, and for likely less of a cap hit"? Really? What kicker, specifically and in real world terms not Die-Hard World terms, who will accept less money than Tynes and is guaranteed to be better.
    Vinitieri missed a 40 yard FG today in a play off game. I guess the Colts are already looking into replacing him since he's so "inconsistent" and can't be relied upon to make the big FG attempt when most needed.

And you imply that I'm the loser with my statistical references.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    You stated quite clearly that you "recall" Tynes "missing a couple xtra points" this year. Well, he didn't, and he has not for 5 seasons. You complain that this year he's missed a couple "chip shots" that even you could make. Well, let's see you make 16 out of 16 FG attempts from 30-39 yards.
    Really? It was "quite clearly" stated that I said that THIS YEAR, Tynes missed a couple of XP's and a couple of chip shots?

I dont trust him, and I never have. The guy just inexplicably misses what are basically chip shots sometimes, and I even recall him missing a couple of XP's along the way. This season alone, didn't he miss from 26-ish? Even I could have kicked that damn thing through.
    You know where you can put those "completely incorrect" words you attributed to me, sport. Nice try

The only thing I mentioned specifically about THIS YEAR was the "26ish" FG that I thought I recall him missing. I could not recall the exact yardage, but I knew it was a very short distance, as far as what even an average NFL kicker can usually hit with relative ease. Now that I've checked, it was a 30 yard attempt in Atlanta that I was thinking of. 30 yards, in a dome, no less. That was the kind of thing I was referring to. It is far from being the only time the guy has completly blown it in games by missing what are widely considered makeable FG's for just about any kicker.

At any rate, this ridiculous battle was waged because I stated that I didn't like Tynes, and you still, rather inexplicably, have that stick up your *** where I'm concerned. I thought that maybe the comedic effect would have diminished, but on THAT, I was most certainly incorrect. You still make me laugh by taking this so seriously and holding an apparent grudge, one of which I cant fathom, but of which I can only assume harkens back to some past indiscretion by one, or both, of us. Its just an opinion, guy. Loosen up before you hurt yourself

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    There are 2 Draftable kickers Caleb Sturgis from Florida and Dustin Hopkins from FSU who has a monster leg. I saw him kick a 60 yarder in the spring game. No way I make a kicker video. Jags fans requested a Punter video from me
    Draft him in the first round

Veteran
    Keep him and it's not even close as far as I'm concerned.

+ Reply to Thread