+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giants' Offseason Priorities: Big Blue Needs A Black Unicorn

Giants' Offseason Priorities: Big Blue Needs A Black Unicorn

Excerpt: "Stat lovers will utilize tight endMartellus Bennett’s 2012: 55 receptions for 626 yards and five touchdowns as their base to claim that the 6’6” pass-blocker isn’t a premier tight end. Well, to that the statement can be made another: Not yet.

What is getting lost while perusing #85’s numbers is two-fold. First, Bennett was used in his prior system (in Dallas) as a blocker and infrequent pass-catcher (four years, 31 games started, 85 receptions and 846 yards with four touchdowns). Second, the New York Football Giants don’t use tight ends as most teams do. They continue to use them as blockers first as well as receivers – a dual role. For his first year in the Giants’ system with quarterback Eli Manning, Bennett came close to matching his career stats with the Cowboys – all while not missing a game and playing while injured and in moderate to severe pain at times. There’s a heart of a Giant in there. This is only part of why he needs to stay in blue. The 25 year-old has a brilliant sense of humor, conducts himself the Big Blue way off the field and just wants to get better on the field.

Even better, he wants to stay here and appears to believe in the system.

"I could sit here and tell you I would, but it depends on what it is," Bennett said. "You never know until the moment comes. But yeah, that is something I would do. A hometown discount? Yeah….I would think that they would want me to stay. My first year in the offense, my first year as a starter, I thought I did pretty well. I could have did a lot of things better but it’s so much room for growth, and I finally got a taste of a little success. Hopefully, they want to keep me around, but if not, you never know in this league. I'm about to start having kids and stuff. My kids need to make friends, and I don’t want to be moving all the time. I would love to have a 4 or 5-year deal…every game you play, 32 teams are scouting you, so you never know who is watching, who loves you and who doesn’t. It only takes one team. But I love being a New York Giant, I love the city, I love the people here, and I think it would be the best place for me." Read more...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Question is how much for a 4 year deal can the NYG afford. Sure nice to lock him up for 4 years.
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

Quote Originally Posted by ibbill View Post
    Question is how much for a 4 year deal can the NYG afford. Sure nice to lock him up for 4 years.
    Maybe it will be a shorter term, it's hard to know. I think he's a very important part of the offense we should keep if it's possible.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Maybe it will be a shorter term, it's hard to know. I think he's a very important part of the offense we should keep if it's possible.
    I think it's probalby a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option..

Backload the crap out of it. 'tis the Reese way.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Yes we keep long as he can block for us.

"I'm about to start having kids and stuff." -- LMAO!!!

he would be greta to have at the right price but not the end of the world if he moves on....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    "I'm about to start having kids and stuff." -- LMAO!!!
    It's better than I want some more cars

+ Reply to Thread