+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules Question

Rules Question

Two quick questions on the rules regarding the reversed fumble calls.

1- If the ball is hit out of a QB's hand, even if it is moving forward, shouldn't that still be a fumble? On two of the fumbles by Sanchez, the BALL was knocked from his hand, it wasn't just his arm that got hit as it was moving forward.

2- If it is ruled an incomplete pass, isn't that technically intentional grounding since the QB is under pressure, in the pocket, and throwing the ball into the ground?

Re: Rules Question

the refs were just awful.

one question i had, on the incomplete to holmes when its clear he had it two steps plus one, then fumbled it, the ref said coughlin is not allowed to challenge...

WHAT?!?!?! THERE IS NO RULE SAYING U CANNOT CHALLENGE THAT IS THERE?!

horrible officiating but it wouldnt have mattered even if they could review it the refs woulda upheld it as an incompletion.

the refs seriously tried to hand this one to the jets...all year the officiating especially vs the giants has been putrid
    "The OL is good enough for most of Eli's supposed peers..."

1- Tuck Rule

2- Good question. I think that because the ruling is in-and-of-itself an exception to the usual rules, intentional grounding also does not apply.

Veteran

I am giant fan so please know that when reading this.

1) Yes there is a rule that says you cannot challenge an incomplete pass - if it is ruled incomplete it is in fact a dead ball and cannot be reviewed. Sadly Holmes did seem to fumble but we will never know.

2) There was a tuck rule correctyl called - the actual rule is bad - but it was followed to the letter of the law

3) The call where kerlel rolled over on antrel rolle it seemed to me that he actually landed on rolles cleat and not the ground - if his elbow did hit the ground - good call - but it seemed to me there was not irrefutable eveidence and the call should have stood.

4) The pi on grant ont eh 4th and 2 was tough - he was definitely physical there and that can be called just seemed a bit ticky tack.

5) Glad they got the PI on plax - as giant fans we have all seen that one a lot - and you just hope its not called if its your guy. That may have been the only snap Prince saw.

[quote user="giantsfan420"]the refs were just awful.

one question i had, on the incomplete to holmes when its clear he had it two steps plus one, then fumbled it, the ref said coughlin is not allowed to challenge...

WHAT?!?!?! THERE IS NO RULE SAYING U CANNOT CHALLENGE THAT IS THERE?!

horrible officiating but it wouldnt have mattered even if they could review it the refs woulda upheld it as an incompletion.

the refs seriously tried to hand this one to the jets...all year the officiating especially vs the giants has been putrid[/quote]

Hell if he had taken any more steps he would have been in the end zone lol.Refs are bad TEXANS COLTS game was really bad ref crap also.
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

The Tuck rule is the number one worst rule in football. They say that the ball is incomplete on that garbage call, and that the QB has the intent of passing it after the ball has passed any reasonable point of release. Just another way that the NFL has legislated defense out of the league.

One thing that bothered me was that the Jets db's, especially Revis, were early when ever they made a play in the secondary. Every one of those deflections was PI and were not called.

we were cheated out of 2 turnovers this game. The Kurly fumble which should have been a touchdown for Ross and the JPP sack which Tuck recovered the fumble. The Refs mad some bad calls.

[quote user="dave56dj"]I am giant fan so please know that when reading this.

1) Yes there is a rule that says you cannot challenge an incomplete pass - if it is ruled incomplete it is in fact a dead ball and cannot be reviewed. Sadly Holmes did seem to fumble but we will never know.

2) There was a tuck rule correctyl called - the actual rule is bad - but it was followed to the letter of the law

3) The call where kerlel rolled over on antrel rolle it seemed to me that he actually landed on rolles cleat and not the ground - if his elbow did hit the ground - good call - but it seemed to me there was not irrefutable eveidence and the call should have stood.

4) The pi on grant ont eh 4th and 2 was tough - he was definitely physical there and that can be called just seemed a bit ticky tack.

5) Glad they got the PI on plax - as giant fans we have all seen that one a lot - and you just hope its not called if its your guy. That may have been the only snap Prince saw.[/quote]

You are absolutely correct. Whether or not his elbow hit the ground could not be discerned with any amount of certainty and so the call on the field should have stood.

Veteran

First one you can argue - the second one you mention is the Tuck rule and they called it right. Whats more frustrating is Holmes fumbled the ball and it was called incomplete and you cant challenge.

[quote user="dave56dj"]First one you can argue - the second one you mention is the Tuck rule and they called it right. Whats more frustrating is Holmes fumbled the ball and it was called incomplete and you cant challenge.[/quote]I forgot about that play, make that 3 turnovers we were cheated out of. What makes that play suck is the fact that it could not be challenged.