+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My two cents

Veteran

My two cents

I've stayed away from the boards for a while until things cooled down. There are too many hot heads and too many people that want to break down the structure of the team/coaching staff and front office and over react to not making the playoffs.

To start, I don't think we are very far from where we want to be. A few tweeks will get us back to the playoffs (and hopefully beyond again)

I've read a couple posts about who we should take in the draft and a lot of people feel we need to pick up an offensive lineman. In my opinion, if we're drafting on need then we should be drafting defense, with pass rusher being a priority. The fact is though that I wont be disappointed with any pick Jerry Reese makes, if its an offensive lineman so be it, I have faith in the front office.

As far as the state of the team, I think a healthy Nicks next years will do wonders for the offense. His injuries were the number one reason we had a pedestrian offense we had late in the season. It wasn't as much the offensive line as it was Nicks. First things first, we have get Nicks healthy, secondly the front office can still piece meal a solid offensive line together by adding a few veterans in the off season (ie locklear). Thirdly I think we need to resign Bennett (Beatty and Booth) and the offense, with the maturation of Wilson, will be a well rounded, top ten offense,

The defensive side of the ball is where we need help. I think we have to bring in a couple of veteran cornerbacks with some life left in their legs that can come in a fill holes when starters get injured. The Giants have a history of finding these guys, (Walls, Mc Quarters, etc...) Its also become manditory these days to draft a cornerback early (first three rounds) in the draft every yea and develope them over timer. Rarely do cornerbacks come out of college and have an impact their first year. I have no idea what to do with Webster, I don't know if he's done. He might have some fight left. I am not so quick to dismiss him, I would certainly have a contigency plan on hand if in fact he is done, but I'd bring him back.

The linebackers, or as I like to call them, the forgotten few. If we have cap room we need to spend some money on a solid linebacker or two. I know its not the Giant way to make a huge spash in free agency but I think we need to spend money on this position for once and for all. This is my one issue with the front office. They seem to be incapable of seeing the value of decent linebackers and the role they play in the defense. I can't watch opposing teams run on us anymore, I few nice linebackers will help with that.

Its unlikely we'll have the dominate defensive line we've had in the recent past with the loss of Osi and the downfall of Tuck. The front office has done a nice job drafting DEs over the past decade and I dont expect that to change, but I think anyone they draft this year can not be counted on the have an immediate impact. I expect JPP to have a big year next year but he cant do it all alone.

Every team has holes and major needs. The core of this team is still solid and still capable of winning it all, there are no great teams anymore. I think if the front office fills in the holes on defence we are back in the promise land

All-Pro
    good post. But too logical and calm for the boards...lol

Many posters forget that when they won the SB on 2011 there were a 9-7 team that got on a hot streak. Still 9-7 is 9-7...
    This season they were 9-7 too.......a dif attitude maybe on the team and performance issues but...9-7 is 9-7...
    When they won the SB on 07 they were 10-6.......

so pretty consistent with there record.....just not hot at the right time this season....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Veteran
    No we need to fire gilbride - kill fewell and coughlins replacement is chip kelly or any other young prospect who rarely amounts to much in the nfl. 2bs in 9 years with this group of talent is just plain bad

Then we must cut all players who ever were once dominant and call them bums on the way out. I mean tuck and webster and diehl were so so once, I guess, but now i just hate them so much.

Eli was elite for one year and now? Ugh just so bad.
    Shotgun draw nooooooo.
    Nicks is always hurt - yes he has played in more the 85 percent of games he couldve but i hate him too.
    Cruz is afrad to go over the middle and its clear he isnt who we thought he was - despite the 80 catches and 1000 yard year AGAIN.
    Jpp went from great to just terrible - and i dont wanna hear he had to go through 3 blockers thats easy.
    Reese ignores oline and linebacker and has never understood the draft or udfa or fa despite steals of j will ab chase cruz jpp hakeem boothe brown bennett hixon. what a fool.

Gilbride doesnt get offense - i do - despite not knowing a trap from a pull - he loves to run the shotgun draw what an idiot - we need to run fun tricky plyas and confuse defenses with all sorts of crazy schemes and funny ones.

ps i prefer colors and smells to stats.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cags View Post
    I've stayed away from the boards for a while until things cooled down. There are too many hot heads and too many people that want to break down the structure of the team/coaching staff and front office and over react to not making the playoffs.

To start, I don't think we are very far from where we want to be. A few tweeks will get us back to the playoffs (and hopefully beyond again)

I've read a couple posts about who we should take in the draft and a lot of people feel we need to pick up an offensive lineman. In my opinion, if we're drafting on need then we should be drafting defense, with pass rusher being a priority. The fact is though that I wont be disappointed with any pick Jerry Reese makes, if its an offensive lineman so be it, I have faith in the front office.

As far as the state of the team, I think a healthy Nicks next years will do wonders for the offense. His injuries were the number one reason we had a pedestrian offense we had late in the season. It wasn't as much the offensive line as it was Nicks. First things first, we have get Nicks healthy, secondly the front office can still piece meal a solid offensive line together by adding a few veterans in the off season (ie locklear). Thirdly I think we need to resign Bennett (Beatty and Booth) and the offense, with the maturation of Wilson, will be a well rounded, top ten offense,

The defensive side of the ball is where we need help. I think we have to bring in a couple of veteran cornerbacks with some life left in their legs that can come in a fill holes when starters get injured. The Giants have a history of finding these guys, (Walls, Mc Quarters, etc...) Its also become manditory these days to draft a cornerback early (first three rounds) in the draft every yea and develope them over timer. Rarely do cornerbacks come out of college and have an impact their first year. I have no idea what to do with Webster, I don't know if he's done. He might have some fight left. I am not so quick to dismiss him, I would certainly have a contigency plan on hand if in fact he is done, but I'd bring him back.

The linebackers, or as I like to call them, the forgotten few. If we have cap room we need to spend some money on a solid linebacker or two. I know its not the Giant way to make a huge spash in free agency but I think we need to spend money on this position for once and for all. This is my one issue with the front office. They seem to be incapable of seeing the value of decent linebackers and the role they play in the defense. I can't watch opposing teams run on us anymore, I few nice linebackers will help with that.

Its unlikely we'll have the dominate defensive line we've had in the recent past with the loss of Osi and the downfall of Tuck. The front office has done a nice job drafting DEs over the past decade and I dont expect that to change, but I think anyone they draft this year can not be counted on the have an immediate impact. I expect JPP to have a big year next year but he cant do it all alone.

Every team has holes and major needs. The core of this team is still solid and still capable of winning it all, there are no great teams anymore. I think if the front office fills in the holes on defence we are back in the promise land
    I agree that we should draft mainly defense plus OL.
    We need to get a cover CB, DE, DT, MLB, OLB, C/G