+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60

Thread: With FA looming, Let's compile a list of former Giants who committed 'career suicide'

  1. #21
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    18,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Manningham has done fine and could win another ring, Cofield has done great, Plax had a good season with the Jets, Shockey got another ring, Boss got hurt, Smith got hurt, Goff was never that good to begin with...

    What are the qualifiers for "career suicide", exactly?
    Manningham played below the money he got. Cofield has done great. Plax played below the money he got. shockey never earned the money he was paid after leaving. He go a ring based on what his teammates did. Boss got hurt, YES........Smith got hurt EXACTLY. Goff always sucked I agree.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  2. #22
    All-Pro NYG4lifeNYK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    11,247
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Probably so which makes my point that you don't win championships by signing other teams' free agents. The hit on the cap is great and the number of success stories is small compared with failures. Build through the draft and with "little" FA signings.

    PS I'm not sure where the OP gets that Ron Dayne did well after his departure. If he did well, the bar is set very low.
    Dayne's last two years with the Texans gave his career a little resurgence.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

    I'm ALL IN are you?

    "Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

  3. #23
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,174
    Quote Originally Posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
    I wouldn't say Rio had a decent year at all, even before the injury. You really think he enjoyed going from Eli Mannign to Alex Smith? lol

    Ah right, forgot he released Luke.

    Can't blame Tollefson but Gibril had it good here. His career was over once he went the Oakland. Although he had his best season with them.... just no team success. have to wonder if he regrets that decision.
    I doubt Wilson regrets getting $16m guaranteed from Oakland, as he wasn't getting that here.

  4. #24
    All-Pro NYG4lifeNYK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    11,247
    Quote Originally Posted by dave56dj View Post
    aha excusem me.

    As for rio in 12 games he had 42 catches - last year in 12 games he had 39. Yards are close, more td's with gmen. Would he rather play with eli over colin - im sure but he was (pre injury) on a more successful team and was a big part of it. I believe there second leading receiver (although te had more). Still he got more money and team went further. Maybe he goes further with blue but i cant blame him for taking the money.

    Gibril got the classic overpay coming off a superbowl win - took the money and ran west, cant blame him. Again the success for them is getting that pay day and setting up there lives, then the winning aspect. It may be true that more winning you do the better money success you can have too but they really cant wait on that and the late pick guys (like gibril) who dont have BIG TIME first contracts have to take advantage of there big payday opps, they usually only come once.
    Can't really use Rio's last season with us as a measure. His first two season illustrate what he's capable of, or at least was with us. He clearly regressed his last season with us.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Manningham has done fine and could win another ring, Cofield has done great, Plax had a good season with the Jets, Shockey got another ring, Boss got hurt, Smith got hurt, Goff was never that good to begin with...

    What are the qualifiers for "career suicide", exactly?
    Plax had an ok season with the Jets. You think he liked having Sanchez throwing to him?

    Shockey missed NY but I suppose winning a ring is a nice reward.


    Goff was one of the best run stopper in the NFL amongst ILB's the year before his injury.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

    I'm ALL IN are you?

    "Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

  5. #25
    All-Pro NYG4lifeNYK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    11,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    I doubt Wilson regrets getting $16m guaranteed from Oakland, as he wasn't getting that here.
    As I said, you can't blame them for wanting a pay day however that does not change the fact that his career was over once he left....especially with the choice he made in Oakland.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

    I'm ALL IN are you?

    "Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
    Can't really use Rio's last season with us as a measure. His first two season illustrate what he's capable of, or at least was with us. He clearly regressed his last season with us.


    Plax had an ok season with the Jets. You think he liked having Sanchez throwing to him?

    Shockey missed NY but I suppose winning a ring is a nice reward.


    Goff was one of the best run stopper in the NFL amongst ILB's the year before his injury.
    Rio had 4 catches for 26 yards his first season, Years 2 and 3 he was very good and has regressed a little bit in years 4 and 5 mainly due to injury.

  7. #27
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,174
    Quote Originally Posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
    As I said, you can't blame them for wanting a pay day however that does not change the fact that his career was over once he left....especially with the choice he made in Oakland.
    He was only in Oakland for a year before they realized they couldn't afford him, lol. Then he got $8m guaranteed from the Dolphins. He was only there a season, too. I don't think he regrets getting $24m (at least) in two years; you have to remember, he already had a ring, so it's not like he left that accomplishment unfulfilled.

  8. #28
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,001
    But the bigger point is not what they do - its about getting the money they need for their lives. You wanna argue Shockey who basically moved himself i agree. Or Jacobs who couldve gotten pt for a couple hundred thousand less upping his value, knowing gore and hunter were there I'd agree there too. But most guys need to get paid in a very small window in a very dangerous profession so what they do going fwd is really getting money and i cant blame them for this. Obviously going to oakland is not gonna help your stats and going to san fran where the passing game is much less and a lesser qb isnt gonna help your receiving stats but that doesn mean the team cant be good, and being on a good team always helps.

    as for regressing - dont agree - really more a case of being nicked up and cruz's emergence.

  9. #29
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,174
    Quote Originally Posted by dave56dj View Post
    Or Jacobs who couldve gotten pt for a couple hundred thousand less upping his value, knowing gore and hunter were there I'd agree there too.
    Point about Jacobs... He had been due around $5m this season for us, but we cut him so we could rework a lesser deal. So, as far as he'd be concerned him signing with us for say $500k less than SF, was really like signing for $4m less than SF.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    He was only in Oakland for a year before they realized they couldn't afford him, lol. Then he got $8m guaranteed from the Dolphins. He was only there a season, too. I don't think he regrets getting $24m (at least) in two years; you have to remember, he already had a ring, so it's not like he left that accomplishment unfulfilled.
    Exactly I wouldn't call 24 mil guaranteed career suicide at all. Kinda seems like smart business to me.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts