+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bye bye safety

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    CC Brown lol
    Vet min, boom, solved.

Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    This is not true. You can hit a defenseless receiver in the chest area or below with your shoulder. You can't lead with your helmet and you can't hit above the chest. The smarter safeties are doing it and breaking up passes. The stupid ones are still getting 15 yard penalties.
    if its a jarring hit......its a penalty. That is stupid, because the offensive player always tucks his head down..........then whats left...his sneaker?

Safety IMO is a hard position made ever harder with the new rules. Obviously everyone can't do it or people wouldn't have issues with blown coverages. The safety is usually the guy that tells the DB's what to do in any given situation so they need to be smart, know the playbook and be able to read offenses. They also need the ability to hit, tackle, cover and play in the box. I for one am glad we paid for Rolle because he can do most of those things and has an attitude about him that resinates with the team. He should be wearing a C on his jersey and not Tuck..

Quote Originally Posted by dave56dj View Post
    The NFL has made this position very very different then it once was and very hard to play. The last line of defense was always a spot where you could would and should remove a player from the ball by laying him out. The defenseless receiver rule has almost made this impossible. A safety now has to wait till a guy makes a football move before hitting him, an almost impossible decision to make in the heat of the moment. Therefore the spot is now really not a place for guys who lay the wood anymore. Its better for the ballhawks with great speed who can protect the backend with sideline to sideline speed excellent ball skills, great football awareness, and tackler.

I think KP fits the mold but the degenerative knee is an issue. Hill can lay the wood, be interesting to see how he does in deep coverage which he didnt see much of this year. saw a bit of nickel (mayb15 snaps) and can play around the box, definitely has value. Brown can ball hawk but did give up the back end a few times and Rolle is better around LOS.

It may be time to draft a kid who can be a center fielder while the other guys hunt for the ball and play the LOS and run.
    If the Giants want a safety this is a good draft for 1. Reminds me of the draft where they selected Chad Jones, Lots of quality depth. I think if they wait 1 of the good safeties could fall into their lap in same spot where they got jones. I think the best deep safety is Baccari Rambo and he could slip because of character flaws

I'm not sure KP will get the money people expect, his degenerative knee issues will likely cost him a big contract!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    This is not true. You can hit a defenseless receiver in the chest area or below with your shoulder. You can't lead with your helmet and you can't hit above the chest. The smarter safeties are doing it and breaking up passes. The stupid ones are still getting 15 yard penalties.
    A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.

Technically you can call the penalty on a hit anywhere on the receiver as long as he is defenseless until he has become a runner, hence football move of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by laylow28 View Post
    I think KP is gonna get more $$$$ elsewhere. We already got 2 younger safety without all the injuries to replace him.
    KP is great when healthy and the other teams will also see that he loses a lot of value due to his health concerns...like RB Fred Jackson in Buffalo, awesome talent but very breakable...I don't think KP will command a big check because of it. He may re-sign with us for considerably less to stay with his team. He wont get top safety money from anyone.

Veteran
    Tough to say that hungrryyy - while i agree with your assessment considering a degenerative knee injury with teams like the raiders (remember gibril) and other horrifying gm's there is always the chance someone jumps at him.

Quote Originally Posted by dave56dj View Post
    A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.

Technically you can call the penalty on a hit anywhere on the receiver as long as he is defenseless until he has become a runner, hence football move of some sort.
    This is not true. Here is the rule:

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
    (1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and
    (2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.”

Veteran
    This comes straight from the nfl - not sure why you think it isnt true.

Today the NFL’s communications department attempted to clear things up, with e-mails to the media and Twitter messages pointing to the exact wording of the rules regarding defenseless players.

The relevant portion of the rule is:

“It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
    (a) Players in a defenseless posture are: [. . .]
    (2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player

+ Reply to Thread