+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bye bye safety

Quote Originally Posted by dave56dj View Post
    This comes straight from the nfl - not sure why you think it isnt true.

Today the NFL’s communications department attempted to clear things up, with e-mails to the media and Twitter messages pointing to the exact wording of the rules regarding defenseless players.

The relevant portion of the rule is:

“It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
    (a) Players in a defenseless posture are: [. . .]
    (2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player
    What I posted comes straight form the NFL office too. You are only posting half of the rule defining what a defenseless player is. You are leaving out the part I posted which defines the area of a defenseless receiver you can and can't hit.

Veteran
    The part I am highlighting makes it clear they can call a penalty on a hit to the shoulder if the receiver is deemed defenseless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    IMO safety is not a difficult position
    there are few more silly statements made on these boards

.....very very few

Quote Originally Posted by dave56dj View Post
    The part I am highlighting makes it clear they can call a penalty on a hit to the shoulder if the receiver is deemed defenseless.
    Again, this is incorrect. I'm not sure why you are not reading the rule correctly. A defenseless receiver can be hit as long as it is not with the crown of the helmet and the hit is not to the head or neck area. It's right there in the rule as I posted. A shoulder hit below the head and neck area is legal to a defenseless receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    there are few more silly statements made on these boards

.....very very few
    We could count them on no hands
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    Again, this is incorrect. I'm not sure why you are not reading the rule correctly. A defenseless receiver can be hit as long as it is not with the crown of the helmet and the hit is not to the head or neck area. It's right there in the rule as I posted. A shoulder hit below the head and neck area is legal to a defenseless receiver.
    Sorry but you are wrong.

Will Hill is a freak, he's gonna be a stud for us and I expect massive things if he keeps his head on straight. Fast and knows how to cover and hit. Exceptional player. Now that he's learned our playbook, he'll have a full OTA and training camp under his belt and I expect to see the type of player we saw early in his Florida career. Has potential to be a top Safety in the LEAGUE.

Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyArcher View Post
    Sorry but you are wrong.
    moosedrool is correct. As dave56dj stated, “It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture..."

The "unnecessary" part occurs when the defender uses his helmet or puts a blow to the receiver's head. A shoulder hit to the midsection is perfectly legal and very difficult to achieve in my opinion.

It is a hard call to make as well, and referees seem to be erring on the side of safety.

+ Reply to Thread