+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question So what exactly happened with the run defense and HOW do we fix it?

Canty missing had a lot to do with it and the fact that Rocky had to play a starters role rather than a reserve role but it still shouldn't have been as bad as it was. Even when Canty came back it wasn't great.

Joseph, Canty & JPP should have been punishing runners. Maybe Tuck had a lot to do with it.

Our freaking Lbers suck with Kiwi in there.... they can never cover any ground or clog the field. There's always HUGE gaps. It seems we rarely fly to the ball for some reason. Our defense can never fill outside..... it drives me nuts.

I don't understand how hard it is to contain outside runs so they can't get simple 6-8+ yard gains every time they bounce it outside. We over pursue far too often especially when they run right.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

"Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

wait till next year and see who is on the team......there will be changes and so things will be different....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Veteran
    Big, old, and slow guys can't stop anyone

All-Pro
    Injuries to the DTs didn't help... but I believe a bigger part of the problem is the LBs, especially MLB. They are supposed to be filling the gaps and we didn't see a whole lot of that this year. The OLBs and MLB should be helping to contain the edges on outside runs, especially if you have aggressive DEs, and that clearly didn't happen.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Some issues:

Osi was playing to protect his body for free agency. He'll get a nice deal somewhere else, and return to Pro Bowl form. He wasn't going to become another T2.

Justin Tuck had a bad year. I have no clue why....but next year he'll be playing for a new contract, too.

Marvin Austin is a bust......he was drafted to be an impact defender, and never stepped up. I hope he's cut next year if he doesn't take a huge step up.

Ojomo and Tracy were never used....that's on Fewell.

Fewell was passive and unoriginal with his schemes.

Webster had a down year.

Boley has a quiet year.

Blackburn doesn't have a top-end gear.

KP was injured.

Reese once again went dumpster diving for linebackers......Rivers only highlight plays were him getting wiped out on blocks. This is another dude that shouldn't be around next year.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Veteran
    Can someone also realize that setting an egde verse one of the most dynamic athletes the nfl has ever seen isn't easy. Not to mention wash averaged 165 a game - they ran against EVERYONE. Now that doesnt mean they couldn't have been better in other games for sure.

Ojomo and tracy are not run stuffers - or at least they made notoriety with pass rushing in offseason - tracy with speed rush - ojomo looked more all around so putting balme on fewell there is silly.

Austin is a guy who saw the field for the first time in TWO years - he will get another season to prove his worth.

Not having canty healthy was a major factor - the giants played with joseph and a rotational vet (who saw to many snaps - bernard) and a 7th rounder who showed potential but was rushed into duty. The lb's are certainly more finesse then thumpers (except for chase who is smart but lacks sideline to sideline speed) Kiwi is pretty good against the run at LB but is out of place as we all know. An upgrade at LB and DT would help in 13.

Quote Originally Posted by dave56dj View Post
    Can someone also realize that setting an egde verse one of the most dynamic athletes the nfl has ever seen isn't easy. Not to mention wash averaged 165 a game - they ran against EVERYONE. Now that doesnt mean they couldn't have been better in other games for sure.
    And everyone ran against the Giants....it was pathetic.

If Reese deemphasizes the linebacker position again, the run defense will utterly suck again next year..
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    And everyone ran against the Giants....it was pathetic.

If Reese deemphasizes the linebacker position again, the run defense will utterly suck again next year..
    He really doesn't place much value on linebackers, does he?
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    He really doesn't place much value on linebackers, does he?
    Chase Blackburn is our best linebacker.....and I really like Chase, but he shouldn't be the best linebacker on the team, especially given the Giants history.

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Some issues:

Osi was playing to protect his body for free agency. He'll get a nice deal somewhere else, and return to Pro Bowl form. He wasn't going to become another T2.

Justin Tuck had a bad year. I have no clue why....but next year he'll be playing for a new contract, too.

Marvin Austin is a bust......he was drafted to be an impact defender, and never stepped up. I hope he's cut next year if he doesn't take a huge step up.

Ojomo and Tracy were never used....that's on Fewell.

Fewell was passive and unoriginal with his schemes.

Webster had a down year.

Boley has a quiet year.

Blackburn doesn't have a top-end gear.

KP was injured.

Reese once again went dumpster diving for linebackers......Rivers only highlight plays were him getting wiped out on blocks. This is another dude that shouldn't be around next year.
    i agree 100% with everything here