+ Reply to Thread

Boom Boom Mock 2.0 and OffSeason Plan

Here's my take on how the off season could/should play out. Why not right?

Resigned Players:
    Victor Cruz
    Martellus Bennett
    Will Beatty
    Kevin Boothe
    Sean Lochlear (if healthy)
    David Carr
    Bear Pascoe
    Dominik Hixon
    Stevie Brown
    Adrian Tracy
    Andre Brown

Players Cut:
    Michael Boley
    David Diehl

Free Agents:
    Leodis McKelvin CB
    Johnny Knox WR

Notable guys I don't think the Giants will resign due to health, salary demands, or performance are: Kenny Phillips, Keith Rivers, Lawrence Tynes, Rocky Bernard, Chase Blackburn, Ramses Barden.

The Giants don't typically bring in high profile Free Agents and I don't expect them to do so this year either. I think they will bring in guys that will compete and add depth. McKelvin will be a nice slot/nickle corner that will not cost much and Knox is coming off injury that would a great 4th WR that can compete for snaps with Randle.

As far as the draft; the general consensus is that they will get awarded a 6th and 7th round supplemental pick. Here is my mock draft 2.0:

Rnd 1: Kevin Minter - ILB - LSU - We know the Giants love drafting LSU prospects and even though they haven't shown interest in drafting LBers early, this should change in 2013. The Giants need young dynamic and skilled LBers. Minter has great instincts, slips blocks well and demonstrates the central leadership we have missed from an ILB since Pierce. He would step in start on day 1.

Rnd 2: Margus Hunt - DE/DT - Southern Methodist - Reese loves big athletic freaky DEs and this guy is the real deal in the 2013 draft. He's gotten much more hype than I would have imagined so I moved him on my board because I believe the Giants can use this kid all over the d-line much like JJ Watt. He's a huge talent from Estonia, at 6'8 290 pounds with an enormous wingspan that he uses to disrupt the passing game.

Rnd 3: Blidi Wreh Wilson - CB - UConn - I'm still not convinced he will go this high and might be a reach. He has 2/3 rnd talent but still over coming an injury that has dropped him on many board. The Giants have a dire need for smart, athletic CBs with great size and speed. So taking him here may be worth it.

Rnd 4: Brian Winters - OT - Kent State - One of the biggest reasons why Kent State had such a dominating run game and a successful 2012 season was due in part to this man. He's anchored the o-line as the LT and at 6'5" 320 has the size and speed to play early in his career.

Rnd 5: Michael Mauti - OLB - Penn State - Highly decorated Big Ten LBer that could go earlier if not for injury conerns. Suffered a knee injury in 2009 and again in 2011 but appears to have bounced back nicely. He has great awareness and reaction skills.

Rnd 6: Braden Hansen - OG - BYU - A naturally large physical man that excels in run blocking. Can be used to play multiple positions, ala Diehl and Seubert.

Rnd 6 Supplemental: Kenny Tate - LB/SS - Maryland - Tate missed almost all of 2011 and part of 2012. Was regarded as one of the best Senior LBers coming into 2011. Very quick and explosive. Was used as a hybrid LB/SS player in 2012 which would translate great into what the Giants do. Will be nice depth fro Rolle as a run support safety.

Rnd 7: Dustin Hopkins - K - Florida State - Regarded as the best kicker in college. Tynes' inconsistencies have run their course. Time to bring in new blood.

Rnd 7 Supplemental: Mike Catapano - DE - Princeton - Just looking for best value here. Huge impact player with a ton of intangibles but did it against subpar talent. Throwing a bone to 2013BigBlue...

Undrafted Free Agent Targets:
    Latavius Murray - RB - Central Florida
    Joe Vellano - DE/DT - Maryland
    TJ Moe - WR - Missouri
    Marquess Wilson - WR - Washington St
    Sanders Commings - Cb - Georgia
    Blaise Foltz - OG - TCU
    Eric Kush - OC - CalPA
    Tino Sunseri - QB - Pitt
    Last edited by dannyboomboom1; 01-09-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Just a couple comments, the giants dont particularly love drafting LSU guys, they have taken what 3 of them in the last 15 or so drafts?

And from what Ive seen of Wreh-Wilson, he has legitimate 2nd round talent. Think that getting him in the third would be a heck of a bargain.

And last, could you post your mock drafts in the mock draft forum? That would help keep this place neat.
    Last edited by slipknottin; 01-09-2013 at 04:13 PM.

If CJ Mosley of alabama comes out and is available I would take him over minter.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxnygmen View Post
    If CJ Mosley of alabama comes out and is available I would take him over minter.
    he has already said he is returning to school.

He would have been the highest rated ILB in the draft.