+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: If Ansah, Warmack and Ogletree is available at pick 19 who do we pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Im not talking about what Base thats irrelevant really. The Giants and most teams win with pressure on the QB it starts there. If U cant get to the QB your defense is in trouble. 86 and 90 teams were great teams still were built on QB pressure the main cogs of that team were built before Free Agency. Now U have to be smarter with your resources they arent unlimted
    Ya, most teams win with pressure, but some of that pressure comes from coverege sacks, and ur LB's and DB's being in the right place at the right time, and Blitzes, where again, LB's, and sometimes Secondary players also play a key part...

And even better then a Sack, is a Forced Fumble or any kind a Turnover for that matter, which most teams that are good tend to createm, which obviously is a mix of all positons..

The bottom line is, u can't have a super stout Dline and nothing at LB and/or Secondary, or its just not gonna matter.. They'll find ways to get the ball out quicker and take advantage of ur weakness before u can blink..

So yes, i hope we get some pass rush help, but i also hope we draft smart and get the best players for our team, regardless of positon, becuase were weak in many areas..

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Ya, most teams win with pressure, but some of that pressure comes from coverege sacks, and ur LB's and DB's being in the right place at the right time, and Blitzes, where again, LB's, and sometimes Secondary players also play a key part...

And even better then a Sack, is a Forced Fumble or any kind a Turnover for that matter, which most teams that are good tend to createm, which obviously is a mix of all positons..

The bottom line is, u can't have a super stout Dline and nothing at LB and/or Secondary, or its just not gonna matter.. They'll find ways to get the ball out quicker and take advantage of ur weakness before u can blink..

So yes, i hope we get some pass rush help, but i also hope we draft smart and get the best players for our team, regardless of positon, becuase were weak in many areas..
    Im going to flip out if they dont get an elite DE or pass rushing prospect in this draft it will really set this team back.

Bench Player
    The Giants defensive line is fine, sacks come from being ahead or long down and distance, short drop quick passing is not pass rush, you need quick coverage of tight end and backs, and to take away slants, neither of which teh GMEN did well this year, even in 3rd and longs teh D gave up big plays on quick passes, even in LT days you had to cover to get sacks, if you time the DE's they are getting there, minus the ball, the Gints need LB speed to cover TE's and backs, and some cover corners, Offensively we need OT to improve the run game to control the clock and make the passing game more effective, gone is the punishing run game that drove fear into opponents, there is no shortage of skilled playmakers, but missing are drive blockers to consistantly make holes and control the line of scrimmage, so another strong safety to make sure that we can use the three safety defensive set, or some linebacker speed, and better drive/run blockers on the line line, although a "strong" TE would help as well

Ogletree is not worth #19 pick.. LB will addressed in round 2 or 3

Quote Originally Posted by icebergh59 View Post
    The Giants defensive line is fine, sacks come from being ahead or long down and distance, short drop quick passing is not pass rush, you need quick coverage of tight end and backs, and to take away slants, neither of which teh GMEN did well this year, even in 3rd and longs teh D gave up big plays on quick passes, even in LT days you had to cover to get sacks, if you time the DE's they are getting there, minus the ball, the Gints need LB speed to cover TE's and backs, and some cover corners, Offensively we need OT to improve the run game to control the clock and make the passing game more effective, gone is the punishing run game that drove fear into opponents, there is no shortage of skilled playmakers, but missing are drive blockers to consistantly make holes and control the line of scrimmage, so another strong safety to make sure that we can use the three safety defensive set, or some linebacker speed, and better drive/run blockers on the line line, although a "strong" TE would help as well
    Our DL is not fine.

Osi is gone, leaving us with a spent Tuck and a JPP who struggled with double-teams. Given our reliance on the pass rush, an infusion of young pass rushers is a critical need IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    You wouldnt be picking You would be picking around 51 not 38 though.In 32 picks a lot of those guys can come off the board and the Giants have not been overly aggressive in the draft recently moving up or down either
    Yeah, I don't know where 38 came from LOL. I was typing at work and think I just multiplied by 2. Good point about our lack.of aggressiveness but at the same time maybe the Wilson/martin fiasco put a little fire in Reeses blood.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Ya, most teams win with pressure, but some of that pressure comes from coverege sacks, and ur LB's and DB's being in the right place at the right time, and Blitzes, where again, LB's, and sometimes Secondary players also play a key part...And even better then a Sack, is a Forced Fumble or any kind a Turnover for that matter, which most teams that are good tend to createm, which obviously is a mix of all positons.. The bottom line is, u can't have a super stout Dline and nothing at LB and/or Secondary, or its just not gonna matter.. They'll find ways to get the ball out quicker and take advantage of ur weakness before u can blink..So yes, i hope we get some pass rush help, but i also hope we draft smart and get the best players for our team, regardless of positon, becuase were weak in many areas..
    We had terrible linebackers on both of our recent super bowl teams. Pass rushers have the ability to take away an entire play on every single passing down, whereas linebackers are restricted to being able to only stop their Zone or the guy they are manned up on.

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    We had terrible linebackers on both of our recent super bowl teams. Pass rushers have the ability to take away an entire play on every single passing down, whereas linebackers are restricted to being able to only stop their Zone or the guy they are manned up on.
    2007 they didnt. Pierce was slightly down from 06, but still was near probowl quality. and Kawika Mitchell was a really good player for a couple years there.

Quote Originally Posted by NYG7283 View Post
    Reality is that in the end I think we would go with Alec Ogletree because come April I think Ezekiel Ansah will be moved up in the top 10 in a lot of mock drafts because of his insane athletic ability and I just have a feeling that some team will steal Chance Warmack away from us before we pick
    plus too much of this is based on JPP's success,,,not every athletically raw prospect is gonna pan out like JPP. we got lucky once,,,twice? not so sure. ogletree would be my pick,,the kid has the size, and the speed to fit our scheme,,plus his game tape was much better than te'o's against alabama,,and he played in the SEC, that should mean something.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    2007 they didnt. Pierce was slightly down from 06, but still was near probowl quality. and Kawika Mitchell was a really good player for a couple years there.
    Kawika was freaking awesome that 1st yr for us! I remember he almost made the probowl..

+ Reply to Thread