+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Five Giants Issues: The Pass Rush

Five Giants Issues: The Pass Rush

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...-the-pass-rush

Excerpt: "There were plenty of things that went wrong in the New York Giants’ title defense in 2012.

This week, we're taking a look at five Giant issues that kept the 2011 champs from making it back to the playoffs. Today, we explore the Giants’ pass rush and what went wrong.

The numbers: The Giants went from having 48 sacks in 2011 to 33 this past season.

And of those 33 sacks, the Giants’ big four pass rushers of Jason Pierre-Paul (6.5), Justin Tuck (4.0), Osi Umenyiora (6.0) and Mathias Kiwanuka (3.0) combined for 19.5 sacks.

In 2011, Pierre-Paul had 16.5 sacks alone. So what happened?

The reasons: The players all said offenses made the pass rush a center of attention. Quarterbacks made a concerted effort to get rid of the ball much faster. There were shorter drop backs and quicker releases.

Running backs and tight ends often chipped on the Giants’ ends before sometimes releasing.

“That’s a good question,” head coach Tom Coughlin said when asked about what happened to his pass rush and sacks last week on WFAN. “We were greatly down and diminished in that number. There are a lot of reasons that you can talk about. It wasn’t always chips and double teams. We didn’t win one-on-one battles. There were opportunities and we didn’t take advantage of it.”

Coughlin is right. The Giants didn’t win enough one-on-one battles. They needed greater production out of their rushers." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro
    What happened? Tuck and Osi where anon factor and teams did whatever they could to stop JPP. They need DE to compliment JPP.

Mix in more blitzes. Keep O lines off balance. 4 man rush doesn't cut it against good Offensive teams.

Veteran
    You wanna fix that? Simple, get some linebackers who can stop the run and cover dump passes... and those sorts of things can't happen all of the time.. Teams were exploiting the dline and linbeackers at the same time because they couldn't stop the run and were ineffective in the short passing game

Why pass on us when you can just run straight up the gut? Seriously, as Osi mentioned the difference between Strahan and JPP was technique. A technician will bring more consistent pressure. I hope Stray and JPP have a talk and ideally workout together during the offseason. JPP with great consistent technique equals HOF material.

We need somebody to play next to JPP that can take advantage of one on ones like TC said.

We need better LBs, because teams will counteract the pass rush with short quick passes. Nobody is going to play us with a bunch of 7 step drops in their game plan.

Need another DE or Kiwi to step up. IMO new blood is the answer. JPP is the only spot on the line that is safe. Really the only one of the front 7 that had a good year. His run defense improved. I love this.

[QUOTE=B&RWarrior;656054]Why pass on us when you can just run straight up the gut? Seriously, as Osi mentioned the difference between Strahan and JPP was technique. A technician will bring more consistent pressure. I hope Stray and JPP have a talk and ideally workout together during the offseason. JPP with great consistent technique equals HOF material.

We need somebody to play next to JPP that can take advantage of one on ones like TC said.

We need better LBs, because teams will counteract the pass rush with short quick passes. Nobody is going to play us with a bunch of 7 step drops in their game plan.

Need another DE or Kiwi to step up. IMO new blood is the answer. JPP is the only spot on the line that is safe. Really the only one of the front 7 that had a good year. His run defense improved. I love this.[/QU

Why we avoid drafting higher in drafts for linebackers is beyond me. Kiwi I am sorry is not a LB...Boley was aweful this year when in. Williams is fast but soft as heck.....When Chase Blackburn is your best linebacker you have problems fellas cmon....Love him alot but really?? Not that I think the issue was at MLB but we need a dynamic OLB.....

Rolle, Joseph, Stevie Brown, Chase, and Prince periodically were our defense this year...Thats it

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    What happened? Tuck and Osi where anon factor and teams did whatever they could to stop JPP. They need DE to compliment JPP.
    Some people shy away from saying it, but JPP didn't exactly have a great year either...I don't want to hear this double team BS that everyone spews......as if Mathews,Aldon smith,Von miller,watt,wake etc didn't deal with double teams this year?

These guys thought their mere presence on the field would be enough and didn't put in the off-season work to make it happen. They need to light the fire now or get some new blood. Osi was playing for a contract and didn't do much; seriously can't see him coming back next year for much more than the vet min.

+ Reply to Thread