+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: Marvin Austin.

  1. #31
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    Players aren't motivated and that comes down to the coaches.
    I disagree with that. A lot. Extrinsic motivation is fleeting at best. It has to come from within.

  2. #32
    All-Pro TCHOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,922
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLnygIN View Post
    I think some of you live in a fantasy world. Do you really expect a guy who hasn't played football in two years and never really played football in the NFL to come out and be the next Warren Sapp his first year back?


    Lets be realistic. He hasn't played in two years. This was his first time playing in the NFL. It'll take time for him to get his physical abilities back up to snuff, his stanima, and all the other stuff that comes along with being an NFL player. If your going to write him off at least give the guy a proper chance. Sitting at home on the couch wandering about Marvin Austin each sunday and saying man this guy is a bust is not a fair assestment all things considering.
    I expected him to at least beat out a 7th round project with very limited football experience. Or to show up to mini camp in shape.

  3. #33
    All-Pro TCHOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    Players aren't motivated and that comes down to the coaches.
    No offense, but this statement could only come from someone who never played the game. If you played, you would know that very little of a player's motivation comes from their coaches . . . especially at the NFL level.

  4. #34
    I wish Shawn Rogers stayed healthy this year. He could have been a force coming off the bench.

    I haven't given up on Austin yet.

  5. #35
    All-Pro joemorrisforprez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    I disagree with that. A lot. Extrinsic motivation is fleeting at best. It has to come from within.
    Exactly......great coaches know how to push the right buttons when they need to jump start a player. But great players all have a motor that kicks in when that button is pushed.

    I think Marvin Austin is a guy who had the physical tools to be a good college player without much effort. And so far in the NFL, I don't think he's stepped the effort up to match the jump in competition.

    Maybe I'm wrong....I sure hope I am, because 2nd round busts set a team back....you really need your 1st and 2nd round guys to become solid starters...... that's one reason why the Giants are still struggling at LB (Sintim).
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

    - Emlen Tunnell

  6. #36
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,669
    Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Exactly......great coaches know how to push the right buttons when they need to jump start a player. But great players all have a motor that kicks in when that button is pushed.

    I think Marvin Austin is a guy who had the physical tools to be a good college player without much effort. And so far in the NFL, I don't think he's stepped the effort up to match the jump in competition.

    Maybe I'm wrong....I sure hope I am, because 2nd round busts set a team back....you really need your 1st and 2nd round guys to become solid starters...... that's one reason why the Giants are still struggling at LB (Sintim).
    True. But, with Austin we're talking about a guy that hadn't played meaningful football in over 2 years (and there was no telling that he would have torn his pec and miss his rookie season). I'm willing to call this a working the rust off season. If he still struggles mightily during the preseason, then I'll start thinking he was a total miss.

  7. #37
    All-Pro Tony Bruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    6,639
    Wasted draft pick

  8. #38
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    19,374
    Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    No offense, but this statement could only come from someone who never played the game. If you played, you would know that very little of a player's motivation comes from their coaches . . . especially at the NFL level.
    That's the truth. Jerry Rice wasn't great because of superior athleticism, he was great because he was self motivated to improve himself in maniacal ways.

    Makes me wonder why the Jets think the key to Sanchez improving as a quarterback is to bring in veteran comptition........silly Jets.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  9. #39
    All-Pro joemorrisforprez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    True. But, with Austin we're talking about a guy that hadn't played meaningful football in over 2 years (and there was no telling that he would have torn his pec and miss his rookie season). I'm willing to call this a working the rust off season. If he still struggles mightily during the preseason, then I'll start thinking he was a total miss.
    I can understand why you would want to give him another season to show if there is anything there. A 2nd round pick deserves every chance to hopefully prove me wrong....but I think if he had anything in the tank, we should have seen it in 2012.

    I'm guessing Coughlin is going to give him a chance to stay on the team next year, but nothing beyond that....he'll need to be healthy and productive next season.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

    - Emlen Tunnell

  10. #40
    We're slim at the defensive tackle position. After Joseph and Canty we have slim pickings. Rocky Bernard was a nice player for us, great depth, but he's not the solution for the future. Kuhn was a bit of a suprise, nothing spectacular but a nice player to have at depth. And that leaves us what most of us thought was a steal in the 2nd round (Marvin Austin)

    We all knew he didn't play his last year at NC, and then got hurt his rookie year in the preseason, so that's two years of not playing football. And what does he show for it when OTA's start in 2011? He's out of shape, not something I would think a high draft pick who hasn't played in 2 years would do. I think Giants staff will keep a sharp eye on him in training camp and pre-season, if he doesn't show any sort of ability that he show cased in college it might be the best option to release him and find a player who can. It wasn't a coincidence that our run defense got gashed all season up the middle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts