+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Marvin Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    We're slim at the defensive tackle position. After Joseph and Canty we have slim pickings. Rocky Bernard was a nice player for us, great depth, but he's not the solution for the future. Kuhn was a bit of a suprise, nothing spectacular but a nice player to have at depth. And that leaves us what most of us thought was a steal in the 2nd round (Marvin Austin)

We all knew he didn't play his last year at NC, and then got hurt his rookie year in the preseason, so that's two years of not playing football. And what does he show for it when OTA's start in 2011? He's out of shape, not something I would think a high draft pick who hasn't played in 2 years would do. I think Giants staff will keep a sharp eye on him in training camp and pre-season, if he doesn't show any sort of ability that he show cased in college it might be the best option to release him and find a player who can. It wasn't a coincidence that our run defense got gashed all season up the middle.

Excellent point (bolded)....this is what turned me off to Austin.

You'd think that this guy would be in shape, and would have the playbook down cold. If I were sidelined a season, I'd be splitting time between rehabbing and the film room....I'd be in that facility every day trying to do something with my time.

I agree we don't have the guys to just cut Austin.....I'm expecting a new guy will outhustle him for his job next year. Or maybe Rocky Bernard goes.....in either case, I think the position will be upgraded in 2013.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 01-08-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Excellent point (bolded)....this is what turned me off to Austin.

You'd think that this guy would be in shape, and would have the playbook down cold. If I were sidelined a season, I'd be splitting time between rehabbing and the film room....I'd be in that facility every day trying to do something with my time.

I agree we don't have the guys to just cut Austin.....I'm expecting a new guy will outhustle him for his job next year. Or maybe Rocky Bernard goes.....in either case, I think the position will be upgraded in 2013.
    Totally Agree. Showing up to mini camp out of shape was a huge red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    No offense, but this statement could only come from someone who never played the game. If you played, you would know that very little of a player's motivation comes from their coaches . . . especially at the NFL level.
    Not exactly true...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Is it possible that if he stays healthy he can contribute this season? Been supporting him since they drafted him, but starting to have some doubts. Would be nice if he could get it together and use his athletic ability on the field. He may have had to much time off though. He wasn't even hurt this year and when he was activated he didn't look very good.
    Of course there is. He was off the field for two years. He's got to be given some time to acclimate into the NFL.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Of course there is. He was off the field for two years. He's got to be given some time to acclimate into the NFL.
    I've seen baby whales that were released quicker than this guy.

Time for chubbsy ubbsy to take off the training wheels and get after the QB.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    Not exactly true...
    How so?

All-Pro
    He has all the tools. Hoping that he can show them this year because they did draft him and they need help a the position. How great would it be to enter the season with a solid DT rotation? Get another DE to play opposite JPP and they have a good defense again. The DL will make all other units better if they get the QB again.

All-Pro
    Some make it sound like he has had so many opportunities. While its fair to have doubts because of the amount of time he missed, he is still young. He missed his first season in the pros because if injury. Add to that the other season he lost because of a suspension and you can see where the rust would come from.

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    I've seen baby whales that were released quicker than this guy.

Time for chubbsy ubbsy to take off the training wheels and get after the QB.
    He'll have that chance this season
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Veteran
    He'll have that chance this season
    and the season after that.