+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kevin Minter

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    That Florida tape is fantastic in my opinion, and he shows up all over in that tape, and has a great highlight reel as well.. Dude, Eric Reid and Mingo made it a point during that game to be like "dang man, u killing it!" basically... lol I mean, u think other players think that way without clear evidence?

U combine his on field play and leading by example attitude, with his off field persona, u got one complete player worthy of a late 1st/ 2nd rd pick.. If he someone sneaks into the 3rd, its the steal of the draft in my opinion...
    What other players' say on the sideline doesn't mean a thing to me. What the guy does off the field doesn't mean a thing to me (when judging on the field talent). What he does on the field ... that's what I look at. And I stay away from the highlight reel (the worst player in the world looks awesome if you're only looking at his highlights).

What I like about Minter:

1) He's in position.

2) He demonstrates good knowledge of the game and good awareness of the play.

3) He doesn't seem to particularly slow down (although I wouldn't call him a high motor guy either).

What I don't like about Minter:

1) He often has poor form tackling (lots of times he tackles like an undersized Safety, throwing shoulder shots and launching off his feet).

2) He's not fast. He doesn't cover side line to side line especially well (lacks range). He often gets beat around the edges on run plays.

3) He's not good in coverage. Part of it is his lack of range ... part of it is being awkward while back pedaling.

Overall impression: the best that I can sum up is consistent and solid. He's dependable to be where he's supposed to be, but a big question as to whether he's going to make the play. I'd call him a 3rd rounder ... I think guys like Mingo and Montgomery are making him look better than he is (sort of like Phillip Dillard and Suh the year we drafted Dillard).

He just doesn't excite me.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlerman17 View Post
    Minter lacks agility and does not have fluid hips in coverage. He often fails to shed blocks and gets swallowed up by blockers. I would put a second round grade on him. Hopefully the giants avoid him. We need a bobby wagner type not a slightly more athletic chase blackburn.
    This comment baffled me, the way you talk about him makes it seem like he's a late 4th mid 5th rounder.
    RD1. DT Aaron Donald PITT / ARD1. CB Justin Gilbert OKST
    RD2. TE Jace Amaro Texas Tech
    RD3. CB Stanley jean Baptiste Nebraska / ADR3. DT Dominique Easley Florida
    RD4. WR Cody Latimer Indiana
    RD.5 DE Ed Stinson Alabama
    RD5B. C/OG Tyler Larsen Utah
    RD6. OLB Kevin Pierre-Louis Boston College

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    ALso notice, MINTER was voted by his teammates as TEAM MVP.. Not Defensive MVP, but TEAM MVP.. THis guys is insane, and a true talent!
    I think it goes beyond that. I know you read the various reports out there and stuff, but a lot dont and I can honestly say I have never seen the LSU coaches fawn over any kid as much as they do this 1. Even before the season they talked about him as if he was the best leader they ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    I think it goes beyond that. I know you read the various reports out there and stuff, but a lot dont and I can honestly say I have never seen the LSU coaches fawn over any kid as much as they do this 1. Even before the season they talked about him as if he was the best leader they ever had.
    Ya, he strikes me as a great off the field guy, with great leadership skills on the field, and also very productive player...

Veteran
    Just from the way you guys speak of him, he sounds like a greg jones type player. Undersized, slow linebackers don't get drafted high, regardless of how good of a person they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    Just from the way you guys speak of him, he sounds like a greg jones type player. Undersized, slow linebackers don't get drafted high, regardless of how good of a person they are.
    I think minter has better instincts than Greg Jones. I can't find anything that mention's Minter's 40 time, but according to LSU's athletic website he is 6-2, 245. We will have more accurate measurements when he performs at the combine. I like Minter, but I think he is an overvalued talent right now.

CBS sports has Minter rated 27th overall, 2nd overall ILB. I think that right now, pre-combine, he should be a late 2nd-mid 3rd. That being said this is a weak MLB class.

On the other side of that, we have Nico Johnson. He has comparable measurements and, and he is projected to go in the third round. If Minter and Johnson were available who would you take? I believe they do play in different defenses but I'm not positive.

Quote Originally Posted by teaneck View Post
    I think minter has better instincts than Greg Jones. I can't find anything that mention's Minter's 40 time, but according to LSU's athletic website he is 6-2, 245. We will have more accurate measurements when he performs at the combine. I like Minter, but I think he is an overvalued talent right now.

CBS sports has Minter rated 27th overall, 2nd overall ILB. I think that right now, pre-combine, he should be a late 2nd-mid 3rd. That being said this is a weak MLB class.

On the other side of that, we have Nico Johnson. He has comparable measurements and, and he is projected to go in the third round. If Minter and Johnson were available who would you take? I believe they do play in different defenses but I'm not positive.
    Nico Johnson is a downhill player only.. Kevin Minter can cover some and is better sideline to sideline then Nico Johnson is.. Minter is more productive as well.. Its not comparable at all, between these 2.. Nico Johnson had 1game of double digit tackles and Kevin Minter had 5! Shoot, Nico never even had a 9tackle game, his next closest was 8, which he did only once, and then its a significant drop after that.. Minter had a 20tackle game, a 19tackle game, a 12tackle, a 11, and a 10 tackle game.. Minter also had 5 Passes defensed with a INT and 4sacks...Nico Johnson had 1pass defended, zero sacks and zero picks...

Where is the comparison here?

Quote Originally Posted by rainierjef View Post
    This comment baffled me, the way you talk about him makes it seem like he's a late 4th mid 5th rounder.
    I would only take him late third or later. U have to be able to cover especially for the giants in the Tampa 2. Other wise he is a two down linebacker who misses a lot of tackles and doesn't have the best range. Just my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread