+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interesting Stats - Wilson vs. Other Rookie RB's

Wilson has a higher yards per carry average and better touchdown to touch percentage than Trent Richardson, Doug Martin and Alfred Morris.....only thing he didn't have that matches those guys was opportunity/touches:

Attempts Yards TD's Yds/Carry TD Every # Carries
    David Wilson 71 - 358 - 4 - 5.0 - 17
    Trent Richardson 267 - 950 - 11 - 3.6 - 24
    Doug Martin 319 - 1454 - 11 - 4.6 - 29
    Alfred Morris 335 - 1613 - 13 - 4.8 - 25

Obviously there's no way to determine if he would've matched the output of the other three backs if given the chance but with that being said I think he was working with a worse/makeshift offensive line than the other three guys and still had better averages across the board. If you take his averages and give him 200 carries on the year his "projected" numbers would've looked like this:

Attempts Yards TD's Yds/Carry TD Every # Carries
    David Wilson 250 - 1250 - 14 - 5.0 - 17

The reason I ran the numbers is because I remember seeing posts about other guys wishing they drafted Martin and threads about wanting to draft a running back next year.

I think that it would be difficult for Wilson to average 5 yards a carry for an entire season unless he consistently ripped off long runs which would be difficult with our oline. Interesting nonetheless.

He has so many less carries than the other RBs, hence why he has more yards per carry.

No offense, but really don't think it's that interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    He has so many less carries than the other RBs, hence why he has more yards per carry.

No offense, but really don't think it's that interesting.
    You could make that argument if he had 10-20 carries but anything over 50 is legit......it's not like he had 1 carry for 20 yards......he carried the ball over 70 times and still maintained that average......also assuming that average would drop is just as much as a stretch as saying it would increase. He has the breakaway speed ability to make any play a big play......a homerun threat like Chris Johnson......not many guys are going to catch him from behind so there's just as just as good a chance that his average would get better the more carries he gets.

To put it more into perspective....down the stretch of the season Adrian Peterson's avg jumped up to 6 yards per carry as he started breaking off longer runs towards the end of the year. Averages are simply that.....the yards divided by the number of attempts they could go either way very easily but more times than not are right in line what they're currently at.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayC View Post
    You could make that argument if he had 10-20 carries but anything over 50 is legit......it's not like he had 1 carry for 20 yards......he carried the ball over 70 times and still maintained that average......also assuming that average would drop is just as much as a stretch as saying it would increase. He has the breakaway speed ability to make any play a big play......a homerun threat like Chris Johnson......not many guys are going to catch him from behind so there's just as just as good a chance that his average would get better the more carries he gets.

To put it more into perspective....down the stretch of the season Adrian Peterson's avg jumped up to 6 yards per carry as he started breaking off longer runs towards the end of the year. Averages are simply that.....the yards divided by the number of attempts they could go either way very easily but more times than not are right in line what they're currently at.
    But you can't compare his 70 carries to their 250 carries. If Wilson had 250 carries, you wouldn't know if he dropped down to 3 or went up to 7. Most likely, he would have dropped.

The more carries you have, the more tired you get... It's a significant margin between 250 carries and 70 carries

You bring up Adrian Peterson, but he hit 6.0 once.... and he fluctuated a lot between 4 and 6. And this is Adrian Peterson we are talking about...

Wilson definitely has the home run threat and the ability to break one loose like some of those other rookies don't have.

which is why i predict wilson eclipses 1200 yds next year and becomes part of the top rb conversation. thanks for the info

Who is David Wilson?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    which is why i predict wilson eclipses 1200 yds next year and becomes part of the top rb conversation. thanks for the info
    He'll only do that if he gets the start, but Tom still doesn't fully trust him

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Who is David Wilson?
    I'm David Wilson