+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defense Defense Defense!!

Veteran

Defense Defense Defense!!

Even though I expect JPP to rebound and be a beast again next year we will still lack the pass rush that won us two championships. It's unlikely that any Defensive lineman (specifically DE) will have an immediate impact early in the season next year but that doesn't mean we shouldnt draft one. If you ask me the biggest need for this team defense and the biggest need for the defense is another pass rushing DE. That's why I'm leaning toward taking the kid from BYU. Even though the kid is raw and unlikely to have a huge impact his rookie year, if he fulfills his potential he and JPP can be a force for several years to come. We have lost three major DEs in the last five years. Strahan retired, Osi is gone and Tuck seems to be spent. We have only added one in return (JPP)

I've said in a different post that I don't think we need to draft an OL in the first round and I stick by that. We need defense, we need corners, another pass rusher and linebackers. I'm sure some of these needs will be filled in FA.

I hope Reese goes D for 2/3 1st picks.. need some O-line help in there too..

Veteran
    I still think its possible to piece meal the OL together assuming we resign Beatty and Booth. There are plenty of guys like Locklear, affordable veterans , that the Giants can look at in FA. I don't think they absolutely have to pick up an OL early on

I think they could theoretically take defense every pick the entire draft.

They have a lot of young tackles and guards sitting on the roster, either those guys need to start playing or they need to move on from them.

I may be alone but I don't think DE is our top priority. Maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahh View Post
    I may be alone but I don't think DE is our top priority. Maybe next year.
    What is the giants top priority in your opinion?

And are you ok with using the same guys next year at the DE position as they had this year? Minus Osi?

Giants were 22nd in the league in sacks. Subtract the 6 from Osi and they were 30th...

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post

And are you ok with using the same guys next year at the DE position as they had this year? Minus Osi?

Giants were 22nd in the league in sacks. Subtract the 6 from Osi and they were 30th...
    I would like the young DE's get a shot,, kiwi moved back to DE,,and it doesn't matter if we are happy with them, coughlin will be loyal to them to a fault, again. we need a difference maker at linebacker,,,I am getting more and more on the alec ogletree train,,although like ansah, he probably wont be there. walterfootball mentioned him as possibly being one of the best players in the draft,,,I am assuming upside wise. he's got the frame to do it,,,and def. has room to grow. he's a side line to sideline backer,,he covers extremely well and is good against the run. plus he played against top notch competition in the SEC. his measurements compare favorably to the better linebackers in the league. just my opinion, though, assuming we go strictly D like you mentioned. another one I like is arthur brown.

I do think pAssrusher is our biggest problem....but, assuming Osi it out....JPP,kiwi,tuck...& even ojomo or Tracy would have the upper hand on a rookie,Atleast throughout majority of the season.....So if we take a DE,I'd rather people assume its to set up for the following years & not think its going to solve our problems in 2013....didn't JPP have like 4.5 sacks as a rookie?
    While I think there's room to get rookie contribution w/ Oline,cb,DT,LB.....

Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    I do think pAssrusher is our biggest problem....but, assuming Osi it out....JPP,kiwi,tuck...& even ojomo or Tracy would have the upper hand on a rookie,Atleast throughout majority of the season.....So if we take a DE,I'd rather people assume its to set up for the following years & not think its going to solve our problems in 2013....didn't JPP have like 4.5 sacks as a rookie?
    Thats true, but you also cant draft for only the next season. Have to look ahead. Tuck would be in the last year of his contract and 31 years old. Kiwi turns 30 in two months. Ojomo and Tracy still have yet to show much. and JPP's contract has two years left.

At some point they have to add to the position. And if you look at how many draft picks they have invested by position the past like 5 drafts, DE is the least invested. Theyve only drafted one.

Thats true, but you also cant draft for only the next season. Have to look ahead. Tuck would be in the last year of his contract and 31 years old. Kiwi turns 30 in two months. Ojomo and Tracy still have yet to show much. and JPP's contract has two years left.

At some point they have to add to the position. And if you look at how many draft picks they have invested by position the past like 5 drafts, DE is the least invested. Theyve only drafted one.
    Waiting another year only compounds the problem further. Im already looking to the 2014 season. i dont see how the Giants can compete for a Super bowl next season. I think they need to cut the fat and shoot for 2014

+ Reply to Thread