+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Legit Reason I miss Shockey

Quote Originally Posted by nygfanmaybe View Post
    They've also taken 2 rings home with them...
    This may be true...but...I think the point of this post is there is fire missing and although I agree Shocky did have that fire and passion it was often misplaced....I honestly think Jacobs brought that fire to the teams that won rings....Although they clearly have replaced his production(let's face it ...it was becoming less and less) they have failed to replace the fire and the passion he brought to this team. Several posters have pointed out that talent wins games....this is true....but in a league of parity...the difference between 2 good teams is passion, fire and who wants it the most....that is what seems to be missing from this team in my opinion
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    This may be true...but...I think the point of this post is there is fire missing and although I agree Shocky did have that fire and passion it was often misplaced....I honestly think Jacobs brought that fire to the teams that won rings....Although they clearly have replaced his production(let's face it ...it was becoming less and less) they have failed to replace the fire and the passion he brought to this team. Several posters have pointed out that talent wins games....this is true....but in a league of parity...the difference between 2 good teams is passion, fire and who wants it the most....that is what seems to be missing from this team in my opinion
    You know what? I completely agree with you post. We were talking about Shockey and his type of fire and passion, however...not BJ. I think getting rid of Shockey's type of fire and passion was a good thing. Let me point one thing out, however. I didn't watch the Giants a lot prior to Eli, so I can't really comment on what Shockey brought to the team during that period. What I saw out of him while he was with Eli was not pretty and needed to be addressed and was.

I felt that losing BJ was going to hurt the team, and if I was pressed I could probably find a post of mine stating that before the season even started. I believe that BJ's passion was out of his desire for the team to succeed while Shockey's fire and passion was out of his desire for him to succeed. Big difference, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nygfanmaybe View Post
    You know what? I completely agree with you post. We were talking about Shockey and his type of fire and passion, however...not BJ. I think getting rid of Shockey's type of fire and passion was a good thing. Let me point one thing out, however. I didn't watch the Giants a lot prior to Eli, so I can't really comment on what Shockey brought to the team during that period. What I saw out of him while he was with Eli was not pretty and needed to be addressed and was.

I felt that losing BJ was going to hurt the team, and if I was pressed I could probably find a post of mine stating that before the season even started. I believe that BJ's passion was out of his desire for the team to succeed while Shockey's fire and passion was out of his desire for him to succeed. Big difference, IMO.
    ...Agreed..there is a huge difference.....while I am not saying that BJ is irreplaceable as far as stats.....there is that emotional quality that he brought that was not replaced....it doesn't really matter which side of the ball it comes from...but we really have no fire on this team...no outward show of ...We are better than you go ahead and prove us wrong brought
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Maybe he can put on a dress and pom poms and come cheer for the Giants.... or maybe he can buy a fire helmet and lead cheers in the stands.

I missed 2002 Shockey. After that year it was all down hill from there...

Antrel asks fans to "please stick with us" and when it's over "we'll all celebrate together."

Quote Originally Posted by NYGisBallin View Post
    I missed 2002 Shockey. After that year it was all down hill from there...
    Exactly - early Shockey was great. Making that endzone catch over Dawkins and then telling him all about it as its called a TD is one of my favorite Shockey moments. Then he decided to aim all that fire internally...
    Tepid Salsa

Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
    Exactly - early Shockey was great. Making that endzone catch over Dawkins and then telling him all about it as its called a TD is one of my favorite Shockey moments. Then he decided to aim all that fire internally...
    That play was definitely the highlight of his Giants career

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    That play was definitely the highlight of his Giants career
    I was at that game. We sat 107 row 25 which was right on the goal line on the side of the field he caught that ball. It basically happened right in front of me. Incredible moment. The win in that game allowed the Giants to clinch a playoff spot. I believe Akers missed two chip shot FG's that day and the Giants had just enough to win and sneak into the 2002 playoffs.
    Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

I know I've said this before but we could use a guy like Keith Hamilton back on this team to put his foot in a few butts when they are slacking off just like he always used to do, Keith controlled the locker room..

Quote Originally Posted by repeatchamps View Post
    I was at that game. We sat 107 row 25 which was right on the goal line on the side of the field he caught that ball. It basically happened right in front of me. Incredible moment. The win in that game allowed the Giants to clinch a playoff spot. I believe Akers missed two chip shot FG's that day and the Giants had just enough to win and sneak into the 2002 playoffs.
    Crazy game, Collins threw a pass to Amani I think for a TD that was called back for holding by Pettigout I believe?

Alot of penalties that game if memory serves me right... Classic game.

I've always wondered what Shockey said to Dawkins when he came down with the football.

Antrel asks fans to "please stick with us" and when it's over "we'll all celebrate together."

+ Reply to Thread