+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Giants' Offensive Strategy Must Be Revamped In 2013

  1. #1
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    93,179

    Giants' Offensive Strategy Must Be Revamped In 2013

    http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/08/...amped-in-2013/

    Excerpt: "New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride takes a lot of heat for a guy who has two Super Bowl rings. As much as we all cringe at the shotgun draw calls on third and 15, Gilbride has developed a strong relationship with quarterback Eli Manning. Furthermore, he's designed an offense suited for today's high octane, pass happy NFL in which strong armed quarterbacks are expected to make big plays down the field to talented wide receivers. There were flaws in the execution of the system in 2012, but the Giants have won two Lombardi Trophy's with Gilbride calling the plays, and it's unlikely that is going to change anytime soon.

    Just like any other NFL team, there are going to be changes coming this offseason. The Giants are not going to radically change their offensive personnel, but the coaching staff must carefully examine the strategy employed throughout the 2013 season. With a healthy Hakeem Nicks and a more experienced David Wilson, the Giants should get better next season. It's just a matter of finding the correct methods in which to utilize the immense talent on the offensive side of the football.
    Let's take a look at a few things we should all hope to see in 2013.

    Another Athletic Tight End Opposite Martellus Bennett


    First and foremost, the Giants absolutely must resign Martellus Bennet. He's an effective run blocker and nightmare for linebackers in coverage. With another year in the system, he can make leaps and bounds in terms of increased production in 2013.

    Bear Pascoe may have an incredible name and he's a serviceable blocker, but he's not capable of running a seam route and catching balls consistently over the middle of the field. His presence on the field usually tips off the defense that the ball is staying on the ground, and he's relatively useless in the passing game. Pascoe only caught four passes this season.

    For the Giants to have a truly versatile offense, it's imperative that they are able to lineup in two tight end sets and pass the football effectively. We've seen the New England Patriots use Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez effectively in two tight end sets recently and it's infinitely diversified their offensive scheme.


    Obviously, the Giants are not going to be able to acquire a player as effective as Gronkowski or Hernandez, but finding another viable receiving threat that can also run block would open up the field for Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks. Fred Davis, Jared Cook, Dustin Keller and Delanie Walker will all be free agents this offseason, while the draft will feature the likes of Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame) and Zach Ertz (Stanford). If the salary cap allows for it, the Giants should look to find another tight end." Read more...


    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  2. #2
    Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/08/...amped-in-2013/

    Excerpt: "New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride takes a lot of heat for a guy who has two Super Bowl rings. As much as we all cringe at the shotgun draw calls on third and 15, Gilbride has developed a strong relationship with quarterback Eli Manning. Furthermore, he's designed an offense suited for today's high octane, pass happy NFL in which strong armed quarterbacks are expected to make big plays down the field to talented wide receivers. There were flaws in the execution of the system in 2012, but the Giants have won two Lombardi Trophy's with Gilbride calling the plays, and it's unlikely that is going to change anytime soon.

    Just like any other NFL team, there are going to be changes coming this offseason. The Giants are not going to radically change their offensive personnel, but the coaching staff must carefully examine the strategy employed throughout the 2013 season. With a healthy Hakeem Nicks and a more experienced David Wilson, the Giants should get better next season. It's just a matter of finding the correct methods in which to utilize the immense talent on the offensive side of the football.
    Let's take a look at a few things we should all hope to see in 2013.

    Another Athletic Tight End Opposite Martellus Bennett


    First and foremost, the Giants absolutely must resign Martellus Bennet. He's an effective run blocker and nightmare for linebackers in coverage. With another year in the system, he can make leaps and bounds in terms of increased production in 2013.

    Bear Pascoe may have an incredible name and he's a serviceable blocker, but he's not capable of running a seam route and catching balls consistently over the middle of the field. His presence on the field usually tips off the defense that the ball is staying on the ground, and he's relatively useless in the passing game. Pascoe only caught four passes this season.

    For the Giants to have a truly versatile offense, it's imperative that they are able to lineup in two tight end sets and pass the football effectively. We've seen the New England Patriots use Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez effectively in two tight end sets recently and it's infinitely diversified their offensive scheme.


    Obviously, the Giants are not going to be able to acquire a player as effective as Gronkowski or Hernandez, but finding another viable receiving threat that can also run block would open up the field for Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks. Fred Davis, Jared Cook, Dustin Keller and Delanie Walker will all be free agents this offseason, while the draft will feature the likes of Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame) and Zach Ertz (Stanford). If the salary cap allows for it, the Giants should look to find another tight end." Read more...


    I had created a post a while back discussing the Giants acquiring another athletic TE, if they can afford it.
    I had suggested the Giants consider Dustin Keller of the NY Jets Jokes. He was hurt this year but is still a good weapon.
    I believe the Giants were poised to draft him but the Jets jumped in front and did
    I think he would be the perfect compliment to Bennett and would allow our offense to be more dynamic and open things up for the running and passing game!!!.

  3. #3
    Yay, opinion pieces by journalism students who can't even tell the difference between "resign" and "re-sign".

  4. #4
    Did that guy just publish an article that said both, obviously paraphrasing:
    .
    Kevin Gilbride won 2 superbowls and is unlikely to change much.
    and
    The answer to the giants offensive woes is a two tight end set?

    This writer surely posts on this board right? Maybe even has a few sock puppet accounts because thats the crazy opinion and it is rampant around here but I sort of expect better from "journalists", Silly me I guess.

  5. #5
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    6,840
    Interesting perspective, and having a two TE set wouldn't be a bad thing... curious about Adrien Robinson, wonder if he could be that second TE?
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

  6. #6
    stopped reading at how our offense scheme relies on "a strong armed qb making downfield throws to talented wrs" bc we all clearly know eli doesnt have a strong arm...

  7. #7
    but in all seriousness this was a good article. i agreed with everything. i never really thought about having another TE who is dangerous in the pass game but can block with our offense bc we dont utilize 1 TE all that much, how would we with 2? but it is interesting. i agree we have to re-sign MB. he could put up insane numbers next year with eli, and he displayed toughness and heart playing through injury.

    i also felt the no huddle point was poignant as well. why didnt we use that when our offense was terrible that stretch??

  8. #8
    Veteran poppa smurph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    moncton, NB
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    stopped reading at how our offense scheme relies on "a strong armed qb making downfield throws to talented wrs" bc we all clearly know eli doesnt have a strong arm...
    He's got a enough of a pro-arm in him to matter.
    If a throw is rushed, that's on the blocker's.
    A 2-tight end set means 1 less deep blocker for El, all the while, WR routes read the coverage to exploit something long-developing
    Eli's best personell is 2 backs, 1 TE and 2 wideouts... when he's got the best amount of time to read the D
    my beer drinking team has a football problem

  9. #9
    The lack of play action is what stood out to me. Moreover, the fact that there was not any play action attempts off of Wilson. Put Wilson and Pascoe in there and try a play-action. The entire team would bite...


    Post 4/20 mock draft:
    Round 1: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
    Round 2: ASJ, TE, Washington
    Round 3: Marcus Martin, C, USC
    Round 4: Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford
    Round 5: Khairi Fortt, OLB, California
    Round 6: Ethan Westbrooks, DE, West Texas A&M
    Round 6 comp: Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State

  10. #10
    Veteran poppa smurph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    moncton, NB
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    The lack of play action is what stood out to me. Moreover, the fact that there was not any play action attempts off of Wilson. Put Wilson and Pascoe in there and try a play-action. The entire team would bite...
    Might just be the personell grouping they don't like ( Pascoe-Wilson ) in regards to pass protection.
    Eli's got a run/pass auduble every play so if you want to make most out of everything, Hynoski's the man..
    my beer drinking team has a football problem

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts