+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mayor of DC wants Redskins to change name

Veteran
    retirement home in Dallas (my son married a Texas gal. Woe is me)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Chiefs, Braves and Indians are not racist. Redskins is. So is the logo the Indians have. Imagine a team named the Blackskins and their logo was a man with an afro. Same thing really. Its racist. Im not against it because it isn't purposefully racist now, but then again, Im not a Native American so I cant say anything.
    Idk, the link that was provided in that movement wanted all of those team names changed and called them racist... At that, we should make the Chicago Blackhawks change their name and logo too. And I'd have no problem with a team called the blackskins or whiteskins for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants5699 View Post
    Idk, the link that was provided in that movement wanted all of those team names changed and called them racist... At that, we should make the Chicago Blackhawks change their name and logo too. And I'd have no problem with a team called the blackskins or whiteskins for that matter.
    The posts that you have made in this thread are unspeakably ignorant.

Veteran
    retirement home in Dallas (my son married a Texas gal. Woe is me)
    Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    Ignorant? More like completely correct on the issue.

It is our nation's capital, so I can understand if there is some pressure to change a name that some people consider an racial/ethnic slur.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    That's one of the main reasons I've stopped responding. That, and this thread can quickly spiral into discussions that will bring on bannings.

The Washington Liars. That about sums it up.

Wouldn't be surprised if Washington's dumbass mayor suggests the "Washington Obamas" since everyone worships Obama here in DC like he is God.

He's right -- they should change their name. It is racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants5699 View Post
    Why are the Blackhawks a racist name? They're not -- it was, or is, a tribe, correct? Nothing racist in the Cleveland Indians either. You're insane if you can't see the racism in "Redskins."

Blackhawk is not racist. It was the name of one of the local tribes in the eastern Illinois area.

If a team is called the Braves, that is not racist either, it refers to a young warrior.

redskin in effect refers to a rather derogotory description of the hue of many Native American people...I do understand the decades of history thing, but Franchises on the Pro level can and do change their nicknames.

Sonics to Thunder and now the Hornets to Pelicans (LOL)

In all seriousness the PC thing has really morphed into something overly done and ridiculous. But I am sure the Skins can come up with something that keeps all parties from crying.

The Washington Senators, read: Liars, was brilliant IMO. Sense they have Wizards, Mystics and Nationals switching up to a "political" or "government" name might be Ok.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

+ Reply to Thread