+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Giants In Review: Perry Fewell

Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    Yea but the coach haters are smarter than the people making the hiring and firing decisions.
    I keep forgetting that. I often wonder how they find time away from their coaching assignments to lecture us.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I don't think anyone "loves" Perry Fewell.

But I do think many of us respect the fact that his defense played great in the playoffs last season against some outstanding offenses. And we won a SB with him as our DC.
    That actually counts for something. The defense (especially the pass rush) was the key to both our SB wins in this era of Giants football. We didn't put up a lot of points on those playoff runs. That's not a knock on KG or our offense, but the defense was the key.
    That fact cannot be denied. (at least not by reasonable fans)
    Sure, bring logic into it
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by radar-ray View Post
    They're out buying a book called "Defensive Game Planning for Dummies" for Fewlless.
    That's nice of them, I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by KillaRich View Post
    Look I understand some of you saying its the players..and i agree that they are part of the problem..... But seriously ignoring Fewells schemes is just blind..... When the opposing team has 3rd and long between the Giants 40-midfield and Fewell decides to play Prevent defense with the corners giving massive cushion it makes you wonder WTF is the strategy here....and point blank period that strategy is ******ed ..... 9 out of 10 times Giants give up the first down anyways..... the other times giants will stop them but give them a good amount of yards for a decent FG shot

OR

The stubborn and ignorant decision to constantly rely on the front for 99% of the time..... It became very clear halfway through the season that the front four alone was not getting pressure ...... With no extra help it was easy for other teams to double the only real threat (JPP) therefore limiting him...... Tuck and Osi were/are clearly not elite anymore...yet were relied on to bring the heat..... The FEW times the pressure was brought we saw the results .....whether by pressure or sacks.... I mean look at Blackburn he has what the same amount of sacks or near as Tuck? That was because crazy enough the FEW times Chase was set to blitz it was SUCCESSFUL.....and this is Chase we're talking about here....... But due to Fewells IGNORANCE he stuck with his ineffective gameplan..or lack there of.....

Yes we had injuries and that is part of the problem...but it was mostly because Fewell's strategy sucks.... This defense has to much talent ... minus the LB core (I dont mind them imo though) to have been ranked 27th and 31st in defense for the last 2 years

Spags had half the talent and our defense was smashmouth awesome

Fewell needs to get his stubburn ignorant head out of his a**

I'm a big Spags fan, but since he left here, he has sucked as an HC, not all that unusual first time out, and his current defense is close to dead last. He hit the ground running here so did he make the players great or did they make him great?
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 01-02-2013 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I'm a big Spags fan, but since he left here, he has sucked as a HC, not all that unusual first time out, and his current defense is close to dead last. He hit the ground ruining here so did he make the players great or did they make him great?
    The spags downfall is a mystery to me as well... IDK Maybe it was the players...or a combination of both?? But I loved watching the defense during his time here.... Just watching Pierce make crazy adjustments and the whole D-Line just going all over the place confusing the opposing offense was a pleasure to watch

The spags downfall is a mystery to me as well... IDK Maybe it was the players...or a combination of both?? But I loved watching the defense during his time here.... Just watching Pierce make crazy adjustments and the whole D-Line just going all over the place confusing the opposing offense was a pleasure to watch
    My point really is it's never one person's fault when we fail.

Circumstances create problems you can't predict. I've mentioned this a few times now. Osi and Tuck weren't Osi and Tuck this year. NO ONE on the coaching staff or here would have believed the results of their collective efforts this season.. Most here say we depend on our pass rush to be dominant, and that's what Fewell was expecting to have happen. It was logical to expect it. So without that, and now add the injuries in the secondary, and we had a formula designed to fail that could not have been foreseen.

I think we still don't have a "Pierce" on the field.

Spags scheme wasn't anything special. He just believed more in press coverage. Ultimately we need a strong pass rush to win. Neither scheme has a monopoly on that. If the players play well up front, our defense works.
    But in today's NFL, with mobility at the QB position, the cover 2 type schemes generally work better. Spags scheme may be getting a tad obsolete, even just in the past few years.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

All-Pro
    As bad as the Giants where statistically on defense, the Saints where worse. So go get ha coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    I don't think anyone "loves" Perry Fewell.

But I do think many of us respect the fact that his defense played great in the playoffs last season against some outstanding offenses. And we won a SB with him as our DC.
    That actually counts for something. The defense (especially the pass rush) was the key to both our SB wins in this era of Giants football. We didn't put up a lot of points on those playoff runs. That's not a knock on KG or our offense, but the defense was the key.
    That fact cannot be denied. (at least not by reasonable fans)
    It absolutely does but it's his defense in the regular season that keeps us out or just barely gets us into playoff contention.

That's the issue.
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

"Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

The spags downfall is a mystery to me as well...
    Not sure why it's a mystery. The Saints defensive players are awful. Spags actually improved the Saints defense with a final PFF rating of -93 (was -145 in 2011). Good coaches can only do so much with what they are given.

+ Reply to Thread