+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 270

Thread: Eli goes from $9.6M in 2012 to $20.85M in 2013 against cap

  1. #141
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    35,188
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I don't see how he'd agree to work two more years for the same amount of money but that's what I get for riding the short school bus all those years.


    Some other team would gladly take on his contract and Peyton is proof you change teams and thrive.
    That's just it though. It's not the same amount of money.

    It would be substantial amounts of new money.

    The cap hit is way higher than his actual salary.

  2. #142
    The Mann deferred his salary, look at the salary that's jumping from 1+ mil to 13+. That's where the increase in the cap comes from. How could you take money that should have been paid already from him. Lets say the company you work for is struggling and Your boss asks to tske 50% of your paycheck, 25% you get in a lump sum and then the other 25% will be added to your salary after year 5. Now in year 4 your coworkers dislike you and gang up to get you fired, or the company thinks they could get a cheaper replacement how would you feel about that 25% that you gave to help your company and now may not get it back. SMH if there is anyone to blame for this mess it is the giants mismanagement.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I don't see how he'd agree to work two more years for the same amount of money but that's what I get for riding the short school bus all those years.


    Some other team would gladly take on his contract and Peyton is proof you change teams and thrive.
    And get who??? Eli's importance to this team, just in terms of how well he knows the very complicated Giants' playbook alone, cannot be overstated!
    You can't just bring anybody in here and expect them to run the offense as well as Eli who had to systematically grow into running it.
    What credible team would make their franchise QB a salary cap casualty?
    And don't give me Peyton as an example..... The only reason the Colts cut him loose was because they never thought he would recover from those injuries and ever again be the same QB he had been!
    Last edited by bigblue58; 01-12-2013 at 10:42 AM.

  4. #144
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    35,188
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSaint View Post
    The Mann deferred his salary, look at the salary that's jumping from 1+ mil to 13+. That's where the increase in the cap comes from. How could you take money that should have been paid already from him. Lets say the company you work for is struggling and Your boss asks to tske 50% of your paycheck, 25% you get in a lump sum and then the other 25% will be added to your salary after year 5. Now in year 4 your coworkers dislike you and gang up to get you fired, or the company thinks they could get a cheaper replacement how would you feel about that 25% that you gave to help your company and now may not get it back. SMH if there is anyone to blame for this mess it is the giants mismanagement.
    The giants didnt defer anything. Eli restructured. He got a large payment up front (signing bonus) last year, and the salary cap hit from that signing bonus is spread throughout the rest of his contract.

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    The chances of them releasing Eli or extending him for two or three years and not giving him one more dime seem pretty remote to me. I also think Reese would be cutting his professional throat to guarantee that kind of money for any player. He will figure it out.
    What happens if Eli suffers a horrific injury to his throwing arm next season? Do the Giants keep for two more years after without a throwing arm? Slip said it simple and best. Restructing is basically converting base salary, which is not guaranteed, to guaranteed money as a signing bonus to reduce the current year's cap hit as the guaranteed money is spread out over the rest of the years of the contract equally. A lot of NFL players simply will not see all the money in their contracts. Teams have the right to cut players and abruptly end their contracts at any time for any or no reason. That's why negotiations almost always stalls over guaranteed money that is paid upfront.

    I could offer Antrelle Rolle a 2-year $300 million dollar contract, making him the "highest paid" safety in history and making headlines as well, but the contract is structured so the first year is a $5 million base salary with a $5 million guaranteed signing bonus. Then, the second year would be $290 million in base salary. Lol. Rolle and his agent will understand it is truly just a one-year deal. Player agents are not that stupid.
    Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 01-12-2013 at 11:09 AM.

  6. #146
    Your first sentence is ridiculous because at any moment on any play, that scenario could happen to any top QB in the NFL! You don't make business decisions based on what might happen to a particular player. If you did, every player in the NFL would be signed to 16 game contracts that would have to be renewed every new season, and the Peyton Manning led Colts would still be playing today!

    I said they would simply restructure his salary next season 15 posts back! Restructuring to deal with the cap is so common every year it's pointless to even discuss it.

    The Giants will get under the cap, their problem is how to deal with 21 free agents!
    The size of that number seems ridiculous to even my "not too savvy on the salary cap" eyes.
    Better get familiar with the practice squad roster after the mass exodus of familiar names get jettisoned!!!!!
    Last edited by bigblue58; 01-12-2013 at 11:20 AM.

  7. #147
    All-Pro Captain Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Emerald Isle, N.C.
    Posts
    9,357
    Seems excessive, but the salaries seem excessive to me. Well JR get busy and figure this thing out; but from my perspective the next few years will not be pretty!

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue58 View Post
    Your first sentence is ridiculous because at any moment on any play, that scenario could happen to any top QB in the NFL! You don't make business decisions based on what might happen to a particular player. If you did, every player in the NFL would be signed to 16 game contracts that would have to be renewed every new season, and the Peyton Manning led Colts would still be playing today!

    I said they would simply restructure his salary next season 15 posts back! Restructuring to deal with the cap is so common every year it's pointless to even discuss it.

    The Giants will get under the cap, their problem is how to deal with 21 free agents!
    The size of that number seems ridiculous to even my "not too savvy on the salary cap" eyes.
    Better get familiar with the practice squad roster after the mass exodus of familiar names get jettisoned!!!!!
    It's not ridiculous. It's just pointing out a possibility as you stated. You don't make business decision without thinking ahead either. lol If they did another contract restructure, then his cap hit will be bigger for next year and the rest of the years of his contract. It'll just get harder to impossible for the Giants to stay under the cap while keeping and signing good players if they keep restructuring with Eli, which he'll gladly do. The 52 other players on the TEAM also wants to get paid too. You're also omitting the fact that this discussion was created because of the fact that Eli's contract was restructured in the first place. It's not that simple. Otherwise, we'd all be GMs.

    Also, 21 free agents is not a problem if you don't plan to re-sign them all. A majority do not want Osi back. I thinking the Giants only re-sign 4-5 at best and the rest will be testing out the FA market.
    Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 01-12-2013 at 11:47 AM.

  9. #149
    Hall of Famer Harooni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Think Big Rudy
    Posts
    57,885
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSaint View Post
    The Mann deferred his salary, look at the salary that's jumping from 1+ mil to 13+. That's where the increase in the cap comes from. How could you take money that should have been paid already from him. Lets say the company you work for is struggling and Your boss asks to tske 50% of your paycheck, 25% you get in a lump sum and then the other 25% will be added to your salary after year 5. Now in year 4 your coworkers dislike you and gang up to get you fired, or the company thinks they could get a cheaper replacement how would you feel about that 25% that you gave to help your company and now may not get it back. SMH if there is anyone to blame for this mess it is the giants mismanagement.
    huh?? lol he just got it in a signing bonus , no sacrifice . and he didnt get any less $$$.

  10. #150
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95,511
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    What happens if Eli suffers a horrific injury to his throwing arm next season? Do the Giants keep for two more years after without a throwing arm? Slip said it simple and best. Restructing is basically converting base salary, which is not guaranteed, to guaranteed money as a signing bonus to reduce the current year's cap hit as the guaranteed money is spread out over the rest of the years of the contract equally. A lot of NFL players simply will not see all the money in their contracts. Teams have the right to cut players and abruptly end their contracts at any time for any or no reason. That's why negotiations almost always stalls over guaranteed money that is paid upfront.

    I could offer Antrelle Rolle a 2-year $300 million dollar contract, making him the "highest paid" safety in history and making headlines as well, but the contract is structured so the first year is a $5 million base salary with a $5 million guaranteed signing bonus. Then, the second year would be $290 million in base salary. Lol. Rolle and his agent will understand it is truly just a one-year deal. Player agents are not that stupid.


    Your first sentence is why they won't make his entire contract guaranteed.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts