+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    It is a bit strange how this team has so far refused to draft another quarterback; it's common practice around the league. He doesn't have to be brought in to push the starter, he could just provide a cheaper alternative to signing a vet.

David Carr
    Jim Sorgi
    Anthony Wright
    Tim Hasselbeck
    Jared Lorenzen

All signed as free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, ect... recent picks rounds 2-4 that would def put some heat on Eli. Not that he needs motivation, maybe I stated that wrong, but someone behind him that gives us a shot to win if he goes down.

And I never said a draft pick would take Eli's starting job as long as he is here. Eli is the man right now. But 20+Mil is quite expesive and will cripple the team the next few years. Cruz or Nicks will be gone. Cant keep both. Phillips may be gone. We need to resign JPP soon. And Joseph.

We are always floating around that point where we can't get a FA becaus we need to be tight. It wont be any differet this season. Reese will hopefully produce a talented team for less.
    Well I just question the motivation part, plus the effectiveness of having a backup QB putting a heat on Eli at this point in time. If we are talking about having a legit QB that can take over him when he seriously goes down, that's another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    It is a bit strange how this team has so far refused to draft another quarterback; it's common practice around the league. He doesn't have to be brought in to push the starter, he could just provide a cheaper alternative to signing a vet.

David Carr
    Jim Sorgi
    Anthony Wright
    Tim Hasselbeck
    Jared Lorenzen

All signed as free agents.
    Well, we draft Rhett Bomar in the 5th in 2009, Andre Woodson in the 6th in 2008... But other then that, nothing.

Hopefully it would motivate him. I mean, if Eli played at an elite level for the next 3 years and we do extend him a bit more, then we could trade that drafted QB for a good draft pick. Good teams do this all the time. Packers trading Flynn, Pats trading Cassel, Eagles trading Kolb,
    You may be right, but I don't see a back up QB jumping to the front of the line this draft cycle
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Well, we draft Rhett Bomar in the 5th in 2009, Andre Woodson in the 6th in 2008... But other then that, nothing.
    Ah, true. I forgot about those guys.

Veteran
    Cut Eli, Draft a QB

I know you're joking, but cutting Eli would put the team in a $60 million dollar hole, hah

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Ah, true. I forgot about those guys.
    so did everyone else.

I think if Ryan Nassib makes it to th 4th round this year, I wouldnt mind taking a shot. We should get a comp pick right? Maybe 4ish?

Then we could let Carr go and save some money that way.
    Last edited by TheAnalyst; 01-11-2013 at 03:41 PM.

So where are they now? If not with the Giants, seems like a wasted pick to me. So yeah, you have David Carr as a backup and hope Eli Manning never misses a game. Plus we have other needs than QB, and that's what they tried to address in the last draft. We lost some people from free agency and such. Too early to think about replacing Eli right now, he's only 32.

Quote Originally Posted by AllHailEli View Post
    So where are they now? If not with the Giants, seems like a wasted pick to me. So yeah, you have David Carr as a backup and hope Eli Manning never misses a game. Plus we have other needs than QB, and that's what they tried to address in the last draft. We lost some people from free agency and such. Too early to think about replacing Eli right now, he's only 32.
    Only? I understand he is tough and never missed a game, but eventually the time comes and 32 is old in this league. And I would like a feasable QB to replace him and have a year or 2 of backup behind Eli to learn from the master. Yes, those QBs were wasted picks in the 5th and 6th rounds, but so was Sintim (2nd), Moss (2nd), Beckum (3rd), Barden (3rd), Kehl (4th), Mosely (4th), ect.... We swing and miss all the time on every position.