+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 270
  1. #121
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    7,043
    Quote Originally Posted by AllHailEli View Post
    ELI MANNING, my friend! Here's his stats from profootball last season and please remember we were LAST in rushing last season.

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...w-york-giants/

    "Any time a season ends with a Super Bowl ring, it will always be remembered fondly, but Eli Manning had a truly remarkable season that deserves looking at in more detail.

    The raw numbers are impressive in themselves: 4,933 yards, 29 touchdowns, 61% completion percentage, and a QB rating of 92.9 over the regular season, but what doesn’t show is the unique challenges that Eli had to face.

    While the other passers in our Top 10 list saw no more than 147 total pressures last season, Eli Manning was subjected to a massive 220 in the same number of games. That’s well over four more per game, and matters only got worse in the playoffs. In the face of that, Manning managed to put up excellent numbers and his performances and grades only improved as the season went on, saving his best performance for the biggest game of them all–Super Bowl XLVI.

    While most quarterbacks see their passer rating plummet in the face of pressure, Manning was still able to earn a QB rating of 81.2 when his throwing was disrupted and it’s those passes in particular that made the difference between a good season and a truly memorable one.

    Making his performance even more remarkable was that the Giants were as aggressive as any team with their passing attack, aiming deep with determined regularity. Manning threw deep (20+ yards in the air) 20 times more than any other quarterback in the league, and remained near the top of the list in terms of accuracy on those passes. He threw for over 1,000 yards on go-routes alone last season as the Giants attacked the top of teams’ coverages.

    In addition to all of these traits, Manning also proved to be exceptionally clutch, ranking second in the league in touchdowns on third*down with 13; showing that when his back was up against the wall, he was at his best. Other quarterbacks may have put up better numbers, but it is the way in which Eli Manning produced his and the factors working against him that makes his season stand out and catapults him into the Top 10 of our ranking."
    I fail to see how this has anything to do with what I said.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

  2. #122
    In case people are too lazy to click on that link, here are the other key stats from that link:

    "Playing for the league title, Manning completed 75% of his passes, for 297 yards, a touchdown, and a QB rating of 103.9 on his way to a Super Bowl MVP award and a second ring in his career. In addition, the pressure that the Giants surrendered over the season didn’t magically evaporate in the Super Bowl, and he still dealt with it wonderfully. When blitzed, he completed every pass he attempted for a QB rating of 129.6, and when he was pressured–17 times in the game–he had a QB rating of 105.4; a ridiculous mark in the face of pressure.

    What makes Manning’s season so special is that he did it in the face of more pressure than any other quarterback in football. In the regular season, the Giants’ offensive line allowed 15 more total pressures than any other unit in the NFL, and if you throw in the playoffs that number rockets up to 91. Eli had one of the best seasons in the league despite dealing with the single worst pass-blocking unit there was last year."

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I fail to see how this has anything to do with what I said.
    You asked which legit QB will win it without an OL or a running game with a 9-7 record and I replied Eli Manning last season. The Giants had the worst rushing and "the single worst pass-blocking unit" last season and yet they still won the Super Bowl at 9-7. Unless I misinterpreted your question.

  4. #124
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    7,043
    Quote Originally Posted by AllHailEli View Post
    You asked which legit QB will win it without an OL or a running game with a 9-7 record and I replied Eli Manning last season. The Giants had the worst rushing and "the single worst pass-blocking unit" last season and yet they still won the Super Bowl at 9-7. Unless I misinterpreted your question.
    Actually, what I said was what legit QB does it without a good supporting cast. In this case it was receivers playing lights out. Nicks and Cruz were an outstanding combination in the SB run, and even that wasn't good enough until the defense turned it on and did their best imitation of the 1990 defense. The point being that no one player does it all by himself... ever. If you prefer to believe that all you need is one guy while everyone else is a bunch of scrubs, well you pick your one guy and pair him up with the practice squad, it would certainly solve the salary cap issues.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Actually, what I said was what legit QB does it without a good supporting cast. In this case it was receivers playing lights out. Nicks and Cruz were an outstanding combination in the SB run, and even that wasn't good enough until the defense turned it on and did their best imitation of the 1990 defense. The point being that no one player does it all by himself... ever. If you prefer to believe that all you need is one guy while everyone else is a bunch of scrubs, well you pick your one guy and pair him up with the practice squad, it would certainly solve the salary cap issues.
    Well, the oline and the rushing were not there, so it's Eli against the pressure to throw to his receivers last season and obviously the receivers have to make the plays or there's no way you're winning it by yourself. Just like what Giselle said, Tom Brady can't pass and also catch the ball. I was making a point regarding Eli's importance last season, you're just making up a ridiculous scenario about putting the practice squad to give a QB his due. The question is why were the Giants never got a number one pick by trade till Eli? Isn't it because they were always in the middle of the pack and could not get a higher pick? So the Giants had been always good esp in the defense and the running back with Tiki, but they never had the franchise QB until Eli. So they traded for him finally when they were bad and then he delivered with 2 Super Bowls.

  6. #126
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    7,043
    Quote Originally Posted by AllHailEli View Post
    Well, the oline and the rushing were not there, so it's Eli against the pressure to throw to his receivers last season and obviously the receivers have to make the plays or there's no way you're winning it by yourself. Just like what Giselle said, Tom Brady can't pass and also catch the ball. I was making a point regarding Eli's importance last season, you're just making up a ridiculous scenario about putting the practice squad to give a QB his due. The question is why were the Giants never got a number one pick till Eli? Isn't it because they were always in the middle of the pack and could not get a higher pick? So the Giants had been always good esp in the defense and the running back with Tiki, but they never had the franchise QB until Eli. So they traded for him finally when they were bad and then he delivered with 2 Super Bowls.
    LOL, it was a dramatic scenario, the point I was trying to make was that no one player is the team, no matter how good they are. Yes, Eli had a great season last year, but that only proves my point more because this year the QB pressures and sacks went down and the running game improved, yet he played better last year than this one. Why? I am no guru, but I would guess it was because Nicks was hurt, a key part of his supporting cast. It also didn't help that the defense was worse this year than last, meaning in many games the offense wasn't on the field as much.

    Your point is well made, Eli is clearly a critical component on the Giants offense... I am not questioning that. But at some price point, that critical component becomes so costly that you can't afford the other pieces that are required to make sure that he can perform. Is that price point $20M? More? Less? I have no idea... but I would suspect that $20M is too much of a cap hit to absorb and still be able to give him the other pieces he needs.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

  7. #127
    Well, I don't know how they will address that cap hit but he was owed that money.

  8. #128
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    7,043
    Quote Originally Posted by AllHailEli View Post
    Well, I don't know how they will address that cap hit but he was owed that money.
    In the end... you are right, but I worry less about his salary than I do the team winning. Because I will still be rooting for the Giants when Eli and every other current player on this team has long since retired. It's about the team, not the individual players.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

  9. #129
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,390
    I'm not bothering going through all the replies, but does something strike you as strange in that chart? Namely, that his base salary in 2012 was $1.75m? What does that tell you? Maybe the reason for the jump in cap hit is due to the fact that restructured his contract last season which jumped his cap hit over the final 3 years of his deal a few mil a year.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    In the end... you are right, but I worry less about his salary than I do the team winning. Because I will still be rooting for the Giants when Eli and every other current player on this team has long since retired. It's about the team, not the individual players.
    Then maybe the Giants can get as lucky as the Colts once he's gone, become bad and get a high pick. If not and they stay in the middle of the pack, then that would be a problem. An 8-8 or 9-7 record even if you get to the playoffs will not get you deep if you don't have a legit QB. Now we are full circle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts