+ Reply to Thread
    Starter

Fix 8 positional areas

Perhaps we cannot fix all of the positional concerns in one years draft and Free Agency combined, especially with our salary cap concerns.
    However we can address at least half of them.

I think we fans have a consensus about the 8 positions that need to be addressed (not in any order): T, G, C, DE, DT, MLB, OLB, CB

As others have mentioned, look at the teams that are currently in the playoffs, specifically the 49ers. They have 3 OL that were 1st or 2nd round picks that are good enough to be pro bowlers.

I know that we have drafted Brewer, McCants and Mosley. However, they were not 1st-3rd round picks and we don't know their level of ability yet? Hopefully one or all will step up and contribute starting next year. Brewer was targeted at RT, McCants at either Tackle, and Mosley at Guard.
    Although i never like Beatty at LT, he has played well. Boothe has ben serviceable at Left Guard and Snee at Right Guard. although he has injury issue.

But we must upgrade, at least with one OL each year via draft. I feel Locklear was serviceable holding the fort at RT, and if he is healthy may be a good option again until the rooks are ready to step iup and contribute. Meanwhile I strongly believe we must acquire three new OL: one T, one Guard and one Ccenter. Obviously we will not do this over one draft and one FA. However, we muts address one of these areas!!!
    I would love to draft interior linemen Warmack. However i think he will be off the board by the time we get to pick.

We must get another blue chip play making cover CB. That will allow other areas of our defense to not have to compensate for the 2ndary ineptness, either playing out of position or being confused with poor communicaion about coverage.

We need athletic speed at MLB and OLB that is versatile for run and pass coverage.
    We need another rotational stud at DT for run support.
    We need another complementary DE to provide pass rush.

So what are the first three draft pick areas to address in the draft? It obviously depends on who is available when we pick. Im sure we will have our board listing all of these positions.

I think we will restructure Rolle, Phillips, and Webster contracts, despite what many people feel about them..
    I think we are one CB away from having a good secondary.
    I think we can effectively draft one OL each year early (in either rounds 1-3).

Regardless of what position we draft, we have many, 8 positions to help: T, G, C, DE, DT, MLB, OLB, CB
    If we draft very well, i believe we can address 4-5 of them!!!!

However, I would also like to see common sense by our players and coaches. Why can't we deploy no huddle hurry up offense? It would prevent player substitutions, help create mismatches, or penalties, or forced timeouts.

I can't believe how much extra time Peyton Manning has when calling plays compared with Eli. We frequently just get the snap off with no time remaining and defenses can just come full force in anticipation.

Thoughts?

No way we can upgrade all the positions you mention in one year.

The Oline will be fine if they can re-sign Beatty, and Boothe, and find a serviceable RT. However, Locklear's injury was terrible. I doubt he plays next year.

The other positions you mention on defense will probably be handled through the draft. We have too many of our own free agents to address that will make it hard to chase any other free agents out there.

Starter

Did you read the first two sentences?

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    No way we can upgrade all the positions you mention in one year.

The Oline will be fine if they can re-sign Beatty, and Boothe, and find a serviceable RT. However, Locklear's injury was terrible. I doubt he plays next year.

The other positions you mention on defense will probably be handled through the draft. We have too many of our own free agents to address that will make it hard to chase any other free agents out there.
    Perhaps we cannot fix all of the positional concerns in one years draft and Free Agency combined, especially with our salary cap concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by paulj View Post

I think we fans have a consensus about the 8 positions that need to be addressed (not in any order): T, G, C, DE, DT, MLB, OLB, CB

As others have mentioned, look at the teams that are currently in the playoffs, specifically the 49ers. They have 3 OL that were 1st or 2nd round picks that are good enough to be pro bowlers.

I know that we have drafted Brewer, McCants and Mosley. However, they were not 1st-3rd round picks and we don't know their level of ability yet? Hopefully one or all will step up and contribute starting next year. Brewer was targeted at RT, McCants at either Tackle, and Mosley at Guard.
    Although i never like Beatty at LT, he has played well. Boothe has ben serviceable at Left Guard and Snee at Right Guard. although he has injury issue.

But we must upgrade, at least with one OL each year via draft. I feel Locklear was serviceable holding the fort at RT, and if he is healthy may be a good option again until the rooks are ready to step iup and contribute. Meanwhile I strongly believe we must acquire three new OL: one T, one Guard and one Ccenter. Obviously we will not do this over one draft and one FA. However, we muts address one of these areas!!!
    I would love to draft interior linemen Warmack. However i think he will be off the board by the time we get to pick.

We must get another blue chip play making cover CB. That will allow other areas of our defense to not have to compensate for the 2ndary ineptness, either playing out of position or being confused with poor communicaion about coverage.

We need athletic speed at MLB and OLB that is versatile for run and pass coverage.
    We need another rotational stud at DT for run support.
    We need another complementary DE to provide pass rush.

So what are the first three draft pick areas to address in the draft? It obviously depends on who is available when we pick. Im sure we will have our board listing all of these positions.

I think we will restructure Rolle, Phillips, and Webster contracts, despite what many people feel about them..
    I think we are one CB away from having a good secondary.
    I think we can effectively draft one OL each year early (in either rounds 1-3).

Regardless of what position we draft, we have many, 8 positions to help: T, G, C, DE, DT, MLB, OLB, CB
    If we draft very well, i believe we can address 4-5 of them!!!!

However, I would also like to see common sense by our players and coaches. Why can't we deploy no huddle hurry up offense? It would prevent player substitutions, help create mismatches, or penalties, or forced timeouts.

I can't believe how much extra time Peyton Manning has when calling plays compared with Eli. We frequently just get the snap off with no time remaining and defenses can just come full force in anticipation.

Thoughts?
    While I dont disagree with anything in particular, you could just have said you want everything to be perfect and saved some typing.