+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What kind of defense do we really run?

I just got done reading an article about the Cowboys hiring Monte Kiffin with his Tampa 2 scheme. The Dallas blogger said its bend but don't break. I hear those terms dished out referring to our defense as well. So my question is. Do we run that type of defense?

A bad one.

One that didn't execute and then failed to make adjustments when certain things weren't working.

We run the "bend extremely far back but only allow them X amount of points" defense.

Let's go.

Read & React, ala Rod Rust, J. Lynn, T. Lewis. This scheme has always stunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahh View Post
    I just got done reading an article about the Cowboys hiring Monte Kiffin with his Tampa 2 scheme. The Dallas blogger said its bend but don't break. I hear those terms dished out referring to our defense as well. So my question is. Do we run that type of defense?
    The Bend-Don't-Break defense has more to do with a philosophy than a specific formation.

BDB's idea is to keep all plays in front of the defense. Allow the short gains and limit the long ones.

Monte Kiffin runs an aggressive defense ... blitz happy with a two deep shell. It's most certainly NOT BDB. And it might have a much harder time succeeding with the current receiver rules in place as he ran it in Tampa (depending on big Safety hits on the back end and such).

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    We run the "bend extremely far back but only allow them X amount of points" defense.
    Unfortunately this year X was more than we scored in key games.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahh View Post
    No we don't! The Tampa 2 is designed to prevent big plays of which we gave up more than any other defense this season! We run the "Misread and React Late if At All" defense!

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Unfortunately this year X was more than we scored in key games.
    Yeah but that was because guys were injured!!!111

Let's go.

Quote Originally Posted by DVision View Post
    No we don't! The Tampa 2 is designed to prevent big plays of which we gave up more than any other defense this season! We run the "Misread and React Late if At All" defense!
    Ha, very good.